SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I've just bought 2 Cartronic slot cars - a F1 Ferrari & a Williams - but have never heard of them before now. Does anyone know much about them?

I've looked on the net and there does not seem to be much information about them.

Alan

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like they should run ok then...I am looking forward to getting them and seeing what they are like.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Inexpensive brand real similar to Artin. Graphics are generally stickers which is the most disappointing thing about them a;ong with sometimes nasty mold lines, but they look like they can be cleaned up with a bit of elbow grease. I have the Ferrari 250GTO, Mercedes SL & kremerr porsche. Nothing to write home about.

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
We've had a small discussion about this make here.

I wonder what did happen to them, whether they just disappeared due to lack of sales or were swallowed up in some company takeover and shelved?

Any hoo, the only injection moulded Kramer Porsche and Long tail McLaren moulds must be still out there somewhere!

Mr.M

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have one of the Ferrari 250GTO´s and now it runs quite well!
Ofcourse I "only" had to lower the chassis, change motor, axles, wheels, guide, gear and pinion.

And then I painted the whole thing to make it look decent and put on some DMC decals (Le Mans #22 1962)!
Now it looks a million!

So with a little patience and skill you can make these cars go well. Buy them cheap, because you have to change most of the standard things.

Danny

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I think thomas would be the right guy for this topic...

Here is what I know (and I hope there's not much wrong): Cartronic is a brandname for cheap-ass China-type slotracing products. Originally the brand was (or still is?) property of Majorette/Tronico or at least of its german division (this is one of the parts I don't exactly know).

In the beginning of 2000, a guy called Kurt Hesse bought the rights on that name, at least for germany (again, I don't know exactly). Kurt Hesse was the same guy who jumped into Carrera, when it went into bankruptcy under its original founder, the Neuhierl family, in 1985. Hesse on the one hand saved Carrera, on the other hand his policy towards offered race/scale systems and overall quality was disastrous. Since that Hesse is the "bad guy" in the german slot scene.

Anyway, in 1998 austrian toys giant Stadlbauer took over Carrera, so Hesse was looking for another playground and bought the Cartronic brand.

All 1.32 Cartronic cars that have been sold in germany are of the same range that you speak of: some F1 cars, some 911 GT1, a Ferrari GTO, a Mercedes 300 sl, a Kremer-Porsche, a Mercedes CLK-GTR, a McLaren F1 longtail, a Ferrari FA40, a 911 GT2 and a Ferrari 333SP. I don't know if these are all "german" cars issued under the command of Hesse, or older "Majorette/Tronico"-cars.

Since then nobody really knows what Cartronic did. From time to time, Hesse announced knew products (cars/sets) on the Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse, but AFAIK nothing ever saw the light of the german market.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i had about 6 various cartronic f1 (ferrari/jordan) cars and found them perfectly acceptable some of them had a curious guid where the braids were replaced by copper strips

which worked very well overall nice cars but the detailing is not as good as any of the leading brands

1 - 12 of 12 Posts