SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nothing to update you about the Lotus 23 re-master as I've been diverted by a carving of another car at the moment but on the subject of the foxes some of you might be interested in these photos I took last night.

They are poor quality because it was quite dark at about 8pm and I had to set the camera to 1600ISO so there's loads of grain/noise.

This family spent about 45 minutes playing and resting and digging up the grass for food, we watched there activity as it made a nice alternative to the TV

More news on the Lotus/foxes as and when there is some progress.

David

· Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Absolutely wonderful fox pictures, David....thanks so much for sharing them!! it's a real treat for me to see
them as group playing and lounging around. I've always had a fondness for foxes...here's a small statue
I've had for over 30 years.

John

Attachments

· Jim Moyes
6,528 Posts
Their C of G is obviously woeful - two of them have toppled over in the last pic. Try making them some lexan heads or perhaps brass paws.

Joking aside - they are great pics, David. At our last house, we were regularly visited by the entire cast of British wildlife - foxes, deer, snakes and badgers. I will have to get Mrs.M to dig out a picture of her feeding peanuts to the badgers on the front door step. We found out on the web that badgers like peanuts - and they certainly do - but how do they know they like them??

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
The foxes are lovely where they belong. How small and dainty they are. Cute and cuddly even. Would you like the ones that were released here back? Horrid rangy things they are. They're damned near twice the size now. Blimmin' pests.

Much more interested in seeing your carving prowess than foxy-loxy.

Embs

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 30 Aug 2012, 09:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are they digital or analogue ?

I took the pictures with a digital camera.

QUOTE (Mr.M @ 30 Aug 2012, 09:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Their C of G is obviously woeful - two of them have toppled over in the last pic. Try making them some lexan heads or perhaps brass paws.

Joking aside - they are great pics, David. At our last house, we were regularly visited by the entire cast of British wildlife - foxes, deer, snakes and badgers. I will have to get Mrs.M to dig out a picture of her feeding peanuts to the badgers on the front door step. We found out on the web that badgers like peanuts - and they certainly do - but how do they know they like them??

There is a badger set about 200 yards from my house but I don't think they visit us. There was something on TV a couple of years ago where they showed a chap in a typical suburban cul-de-sac of modern houses and every evening at the same time about six badgers walked up the road to his front window and he fed them.

David

· Registered
4,591 Posts
David- I only mention this because you say you're having a go at another resin version. I've tried to do this car several times; a slight obsession with Jim Clark's Nurburgring car. The nose shape is very subtle. After the sides go round a soft 90 degress under the headlights, it bulges out to a very gently rounded point at the very nose, not a straight line, as many models show. It's a bit like the Lotus 19 only more refined. I've seen loads of 19 & 23 modles that didn't quite catch it. I spent a lot of time at Brands looking at originals and eyeing things up, and had about twenty goes at my own resin master. Also, that slightly sunken boot line is on the Revell 1/24 version, but not on any actual cars I've noticed. All the info I gathered showed a flush panel at the back, although usually quite poorly fitted! I gave the mould to Steve Francis I think, I don't know if it's in service.

And foxes rule, OK!

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 31 Aug 2012, 06:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David- I only mention this because you say you're having a go at another resin version. I've tried to do this car several times; a slight obsession with Jim Clark's Nurburgring car. The nose shape is very subtle. After the sides go round a soft 90 degress under the headlights, it bulges out to a very gently rounded point at the very nose, not a straight line, as many models show. It's a bit like the Lotus 19 only more refined. I've seen loads of 19 & 23 modles that didn't quite catch it. I spent a lot of time at Brands looking at originals and eyeing things up, and had about twenty goes at my own resin master. Also, that slightly sunken boot line is on the Revell 1/24 version, but not on any actual cars I've noticed. All the info I gathered showed a flush panel at the back, although usually quite poorly fitted! I gave the mould to Steve Francis I think, I don't know if it's in service.

And foxes rule, OK!

John

I am planning a (hopefully) more accurate carving now that I have the drawing from Dick. I am with you on the shape of the nose but I'm not sure about the sunken boot line - I have seen actual cars and photos where this is the shape I've attempted to capture. By sunken boot line do you mean where the boot lid blends into the rear wings or am I misunderstanding you? Any advice from you is gratefuly taken as your carving skills are a couple of light years better than mine.

David

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
QUOTE (merkit the grof @ 31 Aug 2012, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rabbits are edible man, that's not a scourge, it's mana from heaven.
This is not mana from heaven!

This is most definitely a feral scourge.

And now back to this evening's feature performance.

· Registered
293 Posts
David, I just love that Lotus, I'm going to have to get some Balsa I think.

Your lucky to have so many friendly foxes.

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Hi David

I mean the back end, where the the boot lid blends into the rear valance. I think you can see in those blueprints that the line of the boot lid (behind the rear wheel wells) does just flow smoothly round rather than arriving at a sort of projecting lower lip, or shelf. As I said, it's a feature of the Revell shell, but not of any 1:1 cars I've seen. But then I have been very confused by the number of 'repro' Lotus 23s running around that are not faithful in shape. It would be interesting if there is a good rear view that shows the 'lower lip' across the back end. I've missed it completely if so! I love the smooth, clean shape of the car, and the Brabham BT8 (?) which I have a vac of. Sweet! Or foxy, you could say.

Cheerio and good carving!

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
John

I haven't seen a 1/24 Revell shell for a while so I'm not sure how much of a "lip" there is in the area we are talking about. I have every Lotus and Jim Clark book going and there isn't one rear picture of a 23 in any of them.

Like you I have seen numerous 23s racing today and there are all sorts of inaccuracies in a lot of the bodywork on them

Having looked on the web the only shot I can find of a 1960s photograph of a rear engine cover is this one.

I think there is a very slight lip but it is much more subtle than my clumsy carving with the balsa shell. I will correct this on my next attempt.

Thanks for your input.

David

· Administrator
11,681 Posts
David,

Nice photo, and offhand it looks very much like the Revell...

I happened to have this photo of a couple Lotus 23s (and 19s...) in my photobucket, so am adding it here - but like on the 1/1 cars, no rear shots! Can take them if needed, but you'd probably do better on your own!

Don

PS: Mr. Howmet, none of your lip please...

· Registered
500 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 31 Aug 2012, 02:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is not mana from heaven!

This is most definitely a feral scourge.

And now back to this evening's feature performance.

I thought your fellow countrymen had killed off all the rabbits? Perhaps I'm getting that confused with Kangaroos? I was pretty sure that some of those creatures had been wiped out down under.

Now, I need to check out that Lotus 23 in more detail.

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 31 Aug 2012, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi David

I mean the back end, where the the boot lid blends into the rear valance. I think you can see in those blueprints that the line of the boot lid (behind the rear wheel wells) does just flow smoothly round rather than arriving at a sort of projecting lower lip, or shelf. As I said, it's a feature of the Revell shell, but not of any 1:1 cars I've seen. But then I have been very confused by the number of 'repro' Lotus 23s running around that are not faithful in shape. It would be interesting if there is a good rear view that shows the 'lower lip' across the back end. I've missed it completely if so! I love the smooth, clean shape of the car, and the Brabham BT8 (?) which I have a vac of. Sweet! Or foxy, you could say.

Cheerio and good carving!

QUOTE (dgersh @ 2 Sep 2012, 12:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David,

Nice photo, and offhand it looks very much like the Revell...

I happened to have this photo of a couple Lotus 23s (and 19s...) in my photobucket, so am adding it here - but like on the 1/1 cars, no rear shots! Can take them if needed, but you'd probably do better on your own!

Don

PS: Mr. Howmet, none of your lip please...

John
Your mention of the Brabham BT8 reminds me that Dave Jones built a balsa shelled one and it is beautiful, he captured the shape perfectly.

Don
Thanks for the photo of the Lotus line up. Thanks to Dave Jones who has just sent me a great magazine article from 1962 where John Bolster track tested a works Lotus 22 and 23 at Goodwood which includes this picture, I think we can now say there is a subtle lip at the edge of the engine cover.

I think I now have enough info to tackle the new master.

David

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.