SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Can't keep quiet... I seem to have lost the knack of posting photos, but I have moulds for the 23 & BT8 if you want 'em, David. There are several rear-end pics in a book I have called 'Lotus Sports Racers', a 'Brooklands Portfolio' publication. They all seem to me to show a badly fitting panel line, no more than that, rather than a jutting lip (like the Revell model). (I also have a Pactra vacform, which I thought might be a copy of the Revell body, which does the same thing). I came to the conclusion myself that on the real cars in general, it looks as if the boot lid is just not quite big enough. But then every one looks a bit different. Typical Lotus.

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I do agree with you John that the 1/24 Revell shell is wrong in that area.

I have a picture of the press launch of the 23 and the panel fit is perfect, it also looked well put together at Jim Clark's famous drive at the Nurburgring 1000km but once they were well into their general racing service the panels were often "gappy" and a bit skew whiff (not sure how you spell that).

Thanks for the offer of the moulds but I'll struggle on with my clumsy carving, I've got to keep the foxes company.

David

· Tony Condon
3,014 Posts
hi guys
I think we mould makers and carvers tean to beat ourselves up a bit sometimes and we have been over this scenario before
production race cars are not all the same ,even out of the factory ,let alone after the various teams racing them have tuned them, ask mike kerr about this if you want proof .
all you can do is make a generic model of the prototype ,and put up with it nor being accurate for a perticular race ,OR make a modle of the car that appeared for a particular race
they are the only options you,ve got
it woudn,t surprise me if more than one set of moulds were used on this car (there were 131 made )and they came in at least two iterations of it 23 and 23b
it was also raced over about 5 seasons ,and is now being raced in historic with probably yet another set of moulds replacing crashed damaged body work
so do your best and i am sure that the results will be fine
i,ve seen both of your modelling efforts and they have all been fine in my book
keep calm and keep carving !

cheers tony

· Registered
4,591 Posts
I don't think we're 'beating ourselves up', Tony. It's just all part of the fun, isn't it? Research the prototypes, spend hours when I should be doing the washing-up just leafing through old books. Then putting the time into making a model that fits the mental picture. All inputs from anyone (on my side, at least) treasured and recorded. I'm not wanting to be critical of David, just offering a few thoughts that I went over repeatedly myself when I set out to make the Jim Clark car, which model now looks sadly inadequate, and won't even run. Now I've got the mould out again to check, and I get that old familiar feeling that just a nibble here, another bit of putty there and another coat of primer.......
Happy days!

· Tony Condon
3,014 Posts
hi john
I take all those points on board as they are the very things i do and enjoy myself
but i am sure that if you grasped the nettles and actually produced some from your mould ,folk would be very happy with them as they would not see the imperfections that you as the creator are aware of .
Know ing the quality of your work ,i would be well pleased with one

cheers tony

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am with John on this Tony, I am certainly not beating myself up about anything or under the impression my work was being questioned. I appreciate any help and advice from people like John or Mac Pinches or Dave Jones

I love researching a model as it gives me the opportunity to re-read my books and magazines and "live" the period once again, this usually also leads to wonderful tangents where I research something completely different and give myself ideas for another build. I like to make the best model I can with my limited skills and available tools but I am more than happy to accept the errors I make. Part of the fun with a specific car is to try and get all the detail right for that particular car at that race which you can do as long as you have the reference material - with other cars I am happy to make a generic version where there are compromises made.

On another subject I have finished another balsa car today which is riddled with errors but overall I like the look of it and obviously that is the important thing as I don't sell my stuff.

David

· Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Belated reply to David.

Yes it was wonderful seeing the badger so close..now i find myself staring out of our window many times hoping to catch a glimpse again.

Those photo's of the Foxes playing and the 3 laying around are simply fantastic.
Still following your progress and enjoy the discussions of the great ones in body building.

All the best

· Tony Condon
3,014 Posts
Hi John and dave
sorry if my comments seemed like criticism as i was only trying to stop your percieved mental turmoil over the quality of your work
so i,ll shut up now ,but finish with the point that ,before any of us worry about making the perfect model ,let us consider that with the production standards of the day ,probably not many of the cars turned out from lotus, cooper ,lola etc probably wern,t that perfect either

cheers tony

· Premium Member
307 Posts
Being at the very bottom of the ability league when it comes to home-carving - no foxes here in Malta that I've seen - I tend to come down on Tony's side in this discussion.

However, I can understand the need personal need for accuracy, which is why my current project is going with me to the Goodwood Revival to be compared to the real car, before I pour the rubber.

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (superhornets @ 4 Sep 2012, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi John and dave
sorry if my comments seemed like criticism as i was only trying to stop your percieved mental turmoil over the quality of your work
so i,ll shut up now ,but finish with the point that ,before any of us worry about making the perfect model ,let us consider that with the production standards of the day ,probably not many of the cars turned out from lotus, cooper ,lola etc probably wern,t that perfect either

cheers tony

Tony

I didn't take them as criticism, what I was trying to say but perhaps my answer was too brief to get my thoughts across properly (one of the potential problems with the web and forums leading to mis-understandings) was that I love all the researching and studying of photographs and talking about little nuances of a car. I don't care that this is sad and perhaps a bit obsessive but it keeps me happy.

I don't suffer mental turmoil although I'm sure I drive my wife round the bend with it all.... My rubbish bin is full of scrapped projects and half completed ones that will probably never get finished but this is all part of the fun of model-making as I learn from all my mistakes and never see errors as a problem as usually the second or third attempt is better - but if it isn't, no worry I enjoyed the process anyway.

The great thing is that balsa is as cheap as chips and the worst thing that can happen is that you throw away about £1 worth of wood and you have had hours of fun along the way.

I am always interested to hear your comments on the hobby.

David

· Registered
4,591 Posts
'Balsa' was the answer to one of the crossword clues in the paper on Monday. Made my day.

There can't be a quids worth of it in a Lotus 23 can there David?

The thing that drives my wife round the bend is me sifting through the kitchen drawer for random things that might just provide the grille detail or exhaust headers or something for a current project.

OK. Back to work. But more whittling fun this evening.

· Tony Condon
3,014 Posts
Keep carving boys ,at 35p a go it seems a shame not to!

Cheers tony

· Tony Condon
3,014 Posts
well i can
Whats that running between the two outlet ducts low down
I think thats a lip ,not a spoiler ,just a lip

Cheers tony

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Nothing to update on the second Lotus 23 carving yet, as usual I have been diverted with other cars.

It has been far too cold for the last couple of months to keep the foxes company in the garden but here are some balsa carvings I've been working on.

The nearest one is a 1970 Ferrari 312B which is progressing reasonably well although it still needs quite a bit of refining, hopefully I'll have it finished for the Wolverhampton Classic at the end of this year.

The second one is a 1966 Cooper-Maserati, the monocoque and body is finished but it still needs extra work doing on the engine bay area. Hopefully this will also be ready for the Wolves event.

Third one back is a 1969 Matra MS80 and shouldn't be here as it is jelutong rather than balsa, this has been a work in progress for ages, it might end up in the bin and I'll start again as I'm not that happy with it.

Next is a 1966 Lotus-BRM 33 which has just been started and this is the result of an hour in the garden on the one mild afternoon when I could get out there this winter. Lots more to do.

The BRM V16 Mk1 No1 at the back is a body I'm working on using a different approach. Because I had scale copies of BRMs drawings for the bodyshop at Bourne I was able to make up all the cross sections attach them to a central spine to give me the overall shape and then fill in each area and sand to shape. Having tried it I think I prefer the normal way of just working from a plan view and side elevation and working by eye but it was worth a try.

We had two foxes sleeping in our garden for most of the day on Sunday and hopefully the weather will start to warm up fairly soon so I can join them.

David

· Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Great craftsmanship David,

I am in the starting phase of my first Balsa car,
it will be a 1:24 Triumph TR3 for the Good Wood proxy.

Would be great if you also joined in the fun, here is a link

This week I met the badger again for the first time since our last encounter.
I found out they have terrible eye sight or at least this one does.

It had been snowing around 20 cm's that day and I was shoveling/scooping the snow of our driveway in the evening,
I had done about 3/4 of it when I noticed something moving towards me in a weird way following the tire tracks of our car in the snow,
at first I thought it was one of our cats that was injured but as it came closer it was obvious it was too wide and slightly to low.

When it was around 10 meters away from me I recognized in the semi-darkness that it was a Badger and it was still coming towards me.
I stopped moving to see how close it would come...9 meters...8 meters...7 meters... 6 meters...
...5 meters... 4 meters and still hopping towards me..
At around 3 meters it suddenly stopped looked up straight into my eyes....stood there for a couple of seconds (seemed minutes)
it then turned around and ran/hopped as fast as it could away from me, towards a stairs going up to our neighbors garden.

Badgers are not so good with stairs I noticed as it fell about 3 times downwards trying to race up the stairs.
It was a short stairs of around 12 steps and the badger would do about 3 steps and fall one step back do another 3 and fall one step back until it reached the top and disappeared in the night.

The picture of it staring in my eyes like "hey what are you doing there" will be edged in my memory forever, it was quite a rush.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.