Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to cast my first car body. Its rather simple and is being done to gain experience. It will be a slush casting.

The question I have for those in the know is to do with adding the resin.

I've read all the articles on the web etc. but there seems to be two different theorises.

Some articles say to add a layer of resin let it dry then add another. This way the mould can be placed at different angles so that a more even thickness of resin will be formed throughout the car.

Others say that you should line up a number of pots of resin and mix and add one after the other so that each layer bonds with the still liquid one before. They suggest that with the first method the layers will become unstuck.

Which is correct?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Jak,

When slush casting resin I only mix a very small amount at a time depending on the size of your mould approx 3-6 grammes max.

For each amount I slush until it no longer moves, then I mix the next amount and slush again and leave in the desired position until set again. Its a continuos process, as soon as one amount is set, mix and slush another until the desired thickness is achieved all over the mould. The resin will still be curing even though its no longer 'moving' and I've had no trouble with each layer bonding. For example the bentley I cast recently is a big car and needed four or five different slushes to cover the whole mould adequatley. Since then its been subject to some pretty severe grinding/cutting/ sanding etc without any problems, the cast is one solid piece throughout its thickness. Hope this helps.

PS this is only based on my own experience, but there are others on this forum who craft beautiful resin bodies well beyond my capabilities and may do it differently.

MAF.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Jak

I completely agree with MAF's excellent description of the process and that's how I do my slush casts.

By working in small amounts of resin you are able to swill it around in very thin layers and can control more easily an even thickness of the shell and avoid pools of resin forming.

I usually do anything up to about 6 pours and as soon as one pour has solidified I mix the next. A shell usually only takes me about 30 minutes to complete.

David

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

I've just cast my first body shell and despite all the minor errors I had I'm quite impressed with the result. Intend to try a few more copies over the weekend before choosing one to finish as a car (air bubbles bit of distortion etc).

Also a problem with the mould which has caused a delay. I didn't add enough hardener to the silicon but it did set after four days.

The one thing I didn't think about was a release agent. Silicon to original or resin doesn't appear to need it but the modelling clay I used to fill holes and provide a base has stuck to the mould. Little bits still keep coming off but luckily none appeared on the finished body surface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts