Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
just a few pics of our rally tracks
two tracks in two different locations
Mine

Craig's (Minto Park)

Both main tracks have extentions that bolt on to increase the track length and difficulty
and they are all interchangable,we have over 80 combo's so far

Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (00 yorkiebar @ 13 Jun 2006, 23:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The scenery looks brilliant and the track looks a blast to drive and is a creative use of the space
What sort of lap times does the track in the last picture produce
Thanks
We still have't finnished the scenery,always finding more to add

We run 5 lap stages -3 stages per round
Fastest Lap 30.117
Fastest Stage 2.35.029 (5 Laps)
Fastest Round 7.55.370 (15 Laps)

Total length 40 mtrs per lap with the option of adding the 10mtr section from my track plus another section i am building at the moment which will be around 10mtrs,which will bring the total length to just under 60mtrs per lap

The cars we run are all SCX 4wd,have found them the best so far but had a few guys turn up the other week with a few Ninco 4wd's and the went very well,so we might have to look at expanding our range

Gary

QUOTE (bleep @ 14 Jun 2006, 00:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gazza,
Love both tracks in particular I like the look of that gully in the first Photo and your wooden slatted bridge. Very nice.

Ian
In the "gully" we have an entrant for funniest home videos

Crikey!

The bridge is made out of thick bulsa planks,made it nice and tight,if you get out of shape your in the drink

We used the thick heavy braid on both the main tracks but went for the copper tape on all the extentions and have had no problems with either.

Gary

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Hi, are these single lane stages, they look tricky and tight in some sections, do you get much 'wall' collision? I like the idea of the single lane stages, it is the true sense of ralling, but I would miss the 'cut & thrust, ducking & diving, bobing & weaving and sticking it to your mate' of side by side racing. The second track you show initially struck me as a 2 laner with some interesting lines for either lane but soon realised it again was single.
You both must have spent many 'man' hours on these and I congratulate you on very good displays. There is plenty of inspiration for my next venture, unfortunately I believe the dream of a single/two laner must have a digital component...but I want to use wood next time.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Nitro,

QUOTE There is plenty of inspiration for my next venture, unfortunately I believe the dream of a single/two laner must have a digital component...but I want to use wood next time.

Interesting! As I have both a Digital and a wooden track and someday intend to have a combined, but it is still at the early days of planning we should discus this sometime.
Not on this thread don't mean to hijack.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (nitro @ 15 Jun 2006, 05:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, are these single lane stages, they look tricky and tight in some sections, do you get much 'wall' collision? I like the idea of the single lane stages, it is the true sense of ralling, but I would miss the 'cut & thrust, ducking & diving, bobing & weaving and sticking it to your mate' of side by side racing. The second track you show initially struck me as a 2 laner with some interesting lines for either lane but soon realised it again was single.
You both must have spent many 'man' hours on these and I congratulate you on very good displays. There is plenty of inspiration for my next venture, unfortunately I believe the dream of a single/two laner must have a digital component...but I want to use wood next time.

Yes they are both single lane tracks
The only thing you are competing against is yourself and the clock so you can't blame anyone else when you come off
We run the SRM prog in champ 5 mode and have had no problems in the last 3 years
Each section has its own bolt on end section which enables it to be run separately.

That gives you many different stages to run,large or small,forward or reverse.
And the bolt on extentions are all interchangable with both tracks.

Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (nitro @ 15 Jun 2006, 05:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The second track you show initially struck me as a 2 laner with some interesting lines for either lane but soon realised it again was single.

The first track was originally a two lane track around 10 years old and had turned to crap (made from chipboard not MDF) so we just added a flyover and a few loops and went from a 10mtr boring road curcuit to a 25mtr demanding rally track where the rougher the better

This is a pic of the end pieces and a crossover section i made so you can run the addon sections in reverse,just to give you a bit more variety

And they both fold up against the wall when finnished

all the pics are old (year or two) but we are running a rally on the 8th of july so if your interested i'll post some new ones then.

Gary

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hey Gazza! .. Those loose endpieces could be designed to make a smallish layout in itself. Brilliant idea!

How much is the threesome in total footprint? My guess is approx. 3´x4´. It should be easy to make odd space for some three or four 1´4"x 4-5´ pieces and store them as "shelves" and at that make them into small dioramas. Something to begin with, anyway .. btw. have you used alu-profile framing on all of the layouts and are those crossbars actually (alu)welded?

I´ve also seen some more pictures (at Auslot?) and likewise MattZani, found it very inspiring. Could you treat us to some more, please?

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (rain_man @ 16 Jun 2006, 22:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Gazza! .. Those loose endpieces could be designed to make a smallish layout in itself. Brilliant idea!

How much is the threesome in total footprint? My guess is approx. 3´x4´. It should be easy to make odd space for some three or four 1´4"x 4-5´ pieces and store them as "shelves" and at that make them into small dioramas. Something to begin with, anyway .. btw. have you used alu-profile framing on all of the layouts and are those crossbars actually (alu)welded?

I´ve also seen some more pictures (at Auslot?) and likewise MattZani, found it very inspiring. Could you treat us to some more, please?

.. cheers ..

-( R )-
Yes you can make a short curcuit out of them
The end piece on the right has it's own power connection and sensor for the timing
So you can run it and the other add on sections independently

The frame is made out of 30mm x 1.2 RHS Gal coated Steel (it's what i had at the time) and welded together.
The gal is good because it's low maintenance,won't rust and you don't have to paint if you don't want to,but its a bitch to weld.

Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another extension to the rally track is under way
When we raced here a while ago it got a bit cramped in the garage so i've moved the rally track out to the side shed.
But as the track has to be layed out in a "L" shape

So i've had to build another addon.

Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Added the tape on Saturday,then had to bolt it together to see how it runs

Still slippery on the new surface,but it will improve with time

Now it's time for the green stuff to go on

Gary

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.