SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, could anybody clarify if there were more than one issue of the 1960 scalextric catalogue ?, I have some pictures of it and I have realized that in the third page in one of them there are only two oil drums and in other one three oil drums.

See pictures,

Regards
Eduardo.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Eduardo,
All my examples of this catalogue including a repro one have 3 barrels. All copies are dated January 1960 on the top right of the front cover, but I am led to believe there is another dated version to collect, possibly May 1960 but I am sure someone will correct this if I am wrong. Maybe you have that version which might explain the differences? If so would be good to know so I know which one to look out for!
I have been told of a Swedish no 1 catalogue version as well. Do you know of any other variations?

Cheers,

CB

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Eduardo

The best authority i know (regarding Scalextric catalogs) is Richard Winter from the NSCC - try dropping them a line or posting in the NSCC section - i know Richard isn't on SF, but someone may be able to contact him on your behalf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks for your replies, I have to check it yet but iaw Roger Gillham´s book, 1960 catalogue picture also shows two barrels so it is not a photoshop arrangement.

My original catalogue shows three barrels and my photcopy shows two in spite that the issue date is the same, January 1960.

I have no knowledge about other versions.

Regards Eduardo.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Eduardo,
Found out a little bit more information.
Spoke to Richard Winter who is not aware of a 2 oil drum version of the number 1 catalogue. The Australian version of the number 1 catalogue has 3 drums like most people have found who have replied on this thread. Richard is also aware of a Swedish number 1 catalogue but has not got an answer on the number of drums on that version. Does anyone know of any other country versions of the number 1 catalogue?

The picture showing 2 drums in Roger Gilhams 7th edition book on page 277 is from a scan someone else had produced and NOT something Roger had done himself from an original copy of number 1. Roger thinks it looks original but I myself think it could be possibly amended or "photoshopped" to show only 2 barrels when you zoom in on the area on the scan. (The background area where the 3rd drum would be looks very slightly different, but then that could be down to a different version of the catalogue being updated of course!)

So the mystery remains until someone can produce a hard copy of the 2 drum catalogue.

Whilst on this subject of catalogue variations, (and I do realise there are lots of different versions of Scalextric catalogues from many countries) does anyone know of any other different versions of English catalogues? I am aware there are 2 versions of number 12 (red car logo and black car logo on front with different rear covers) and 2 versions of number 14. (Scalextric logo towards bottom right or at top left as per number 15 catalogue with extra text inside catalogue.)

Cheers,
CB

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The image of the two-barrel version does appear to have been amended. The images are not that good to be absolutely certain but there is an impression of the subtle shading where the third barrel should be.

Computing was not that advanced in the 60's to allow digital editing so I am betting that this is a modern day "forgery". The final proof would be the type of paper used and it's construction ........

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is an August 1, 1960 Canadian version in English which shows a figure 8 setup, 4 different cars, 3 sets, on the back various track sections ,pit , event board and hut but no barrels. It is printed with blue ink on white paper. There are MM/A.204 barrel(obstacles) listed at $0.75per dozen but not shown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts