Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Chad Valley 1/43 slot car sets?

Most seem to be battery operated but some are mains powered. Looking at a box I've see the mains set seems to be the same as an Artin set. Are they just re-packaged Artin track and cars ??

Would it be worth buying one ? The sets cheaper than buying a couple of carrera cars and I've got an adjustable power supply on my Carrera track which does 12, 9, 7.5, 6 and 5 volts at 3 amps so should be able to run the cars even from a battery set.

Any info welcomed

·
Registered
303 Posts
"Chad Valley is a long-established brand of toys in the United Kingdom owned by Home Retail Group. The company has its roots in a printing business established by Anthony Bunn Johnson in Birmingham in the early 19th century. Under the management of his son Joseph and grandson Alfred the company moved to the suburb of Harborne, in the valley of a stream called the Chad, from which the name comes. The company was one of the UK's leading toymakers for most of the 20th century, but in the 1970s it closed several factories and was taken over by Palitoy in 1978. The radio broadcaster Kenneth Horne was Chairman and Managing Director of the company from 1956 to 1958.[1]

The brand name was bought by Woolworths in 1988 and remained in use until that company's closure due to insolvency. Home Retail Group, the parent company of retailers Homebase and Argos, purchased the brand for £5 million on 20 January 2009.[2][dead link] The Chad Valley brand is now available exclusively at Argos." Wikepedia

I'd say they are buying the sets from whomever Artin sold out to in China. Probably another former UK company, Childress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts