SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi guys looking for constructive criticism! I'm contemplating another track (two really one analogue one digital side by side.) I have been playing with my wooden track for a year or so and it's time to go back to plastic, woods good but it's time for a change I'm missing my digital. I still need a separate analogue track despite having analogue capable PB I believe the two should be separate.

I would like a sweeping flowing track here's my initial plan there are two levels on the back section the inner section is lower than the outer by about 10 inches the rest is open for debate.

Any ideas welcome

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Hiya bleep..

there is the classic problem of digital and analogue combo rearing it head on the design the fast sweeping curves just what analogue needs but offers nowhere to "bunch up" the digital contingent to get them close enough for making a lane change worth it... getting a couple of tighter chicains on the digital side would help overtaking opportunities.... otherwise its "fastest car in a straight line" wins every time. IMHO...

Agree with your ambition, think its the best way to go considering the size of your... shed..... errrr aircraft hanger

·
Greg Gaub
16,385 Posts
I agree, that looks like a seriously fast track. About the only place I can see much overtaking happening is right down next to the driver stations where the cars will be relatively slow.
Zipp's track has a lot of fast parts, but has a lot more slower parts as well, which I think work in favor of digital.
Boy howdy does that ever look like a stereotypical 4 lane analog track... like those big 8 lane wood tracks in slot car parlors. Did you model that after a King?

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean,
Yeah I know what you mean, re the bunching though not quite sure where to go on that one, I like the overall shape which allows both tracks to run together, I have deliberately left off a pit lane which I so desperately wanted on my first track (but found I never really used when racing it ended up more for show than anything else plus I can't see anywhere I could fit it in either) As for my "humble shed" or as it was described recently "Man Space" I want to use it to it's full potential this track is going to up against the rear wall with access through the inside of the track using minimal marshalling something the current track doesn't do so I feel I'm wasting space at the moment.

Mr Flippant,
Bang on that was as I saw it too, that little section was going to be tight plus there is always going to the option of being on the inside lane. I would always run some drone cars just to make it that bit more fun.
Humm Zipp's track is one of the nicest Digital tracks I've ever raced on, he gave me lots of advice on my last one, I'm sure he'll be down here giving me sound advice on how to improve this one once its constructed.
It is a amalgamation of several stereotypical 4 lane analogue tracks I have seen recently of course I also race on wood around the country and envy all those that race on big wooden tracks. After a King? Probably not as I don't know mean on that one but I'd be glad to take a look at it in the course or research. . .

Thanks for the comments guys

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Blimey Ian, do you ever stop !!
I think it looks a good layout for what you want to achieve, regarding the lack of bunching ... jiggle the LC's around a bit, maybe stick a couple of CLC's in, and flip the wiring on some of them so that the cars approximate a racing line round the track without having to use the LC button. This should serve to make one lane the racing lane that all cars use, and force you to change when you want to pass.
I hope I explained that as I meant !

·
Ian
99 Posts
Tel,
You're a fine one to talk while you're building a new track! I haven't built this yet its all still just a plan, I haven't told the boss either

CLC idea makes sense I'll work on fitting them into the plan during the week and see where it takes me I'll post once complete, nice one.

Thank you

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr F,
They are some "Cool" Tracks and No I hadn't seen them before. The thing is I know someone who is just screaming out for a track like that, shame they aren't based this side of the pond.

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Ian,
that looks like a very nice, and fast track

Do you want it to be that fast? From the look of the plan most of the 'big' corners are R3, R4. How about having the entry, or exit, (or both) to the high back straight run R2, R3 into R4 (or reverse order) for a bit of corner variety? Might allow a slightly longer straight aswell.
Even as is, it looks like a track I'd love to run on. I take it it will be sceniced? Will look very nice with borders and curbs and a bit of greenery.
Can't wait to see it built.
Mike

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
I'm still with you on the principle here... been headscratching on it for a couple of days..

thinking maybe if you could always keep the analogue to the outside especially on the tightest corners you will get the best of both worlds more digital bunching and great analogue speed... its a big space how big exactly are the dimensions for the track overall?

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Had a quick play with using a "carousel" type turn to keep the digital track always in the inside when making the switchback between levels to bunch those digi cars up a bit but let the analogue cars run free...

Its a "suggestion, far from perfect, but illustrates the idea... one lane changer shown to indicate which lane is which...

might just help keep the digi racing closer without upsetting the 4 lane feel, using a chicaine or a curve radius tighter than 2...

with the dimensions of the "man space" could perhaps design something better to fit

·
Ian
99 Posts
Mike,
Scenery what a waste of time no I'm not going to bother. . . Ha ha actually I couldn't not do something but it's not the be all and end all. This time I want the track to work first, only once I'm happy with that will I take it that step further and add the scenery.

Mr F,
Done a hillclimb before still got that track set up in the loft just never use it too cold up there!

Sean,
The space I will be using here is 5x3 Meters. Thanks for you're your input I like the ideas and have slightly changed the design effecting a slightly longer inner straight and again on the left side more of a straight into a bend. See the new picture below. I do want to keep this basic shape as I would like to add some storage under the track for all Slot things we collect. I also want to add as much camber to the corners as I can I don't want it to be flat.

Rich,
That is "Beautiful" and the exact feel and flow I'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.