SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
One of the best Bond films ever has become the topic of the latest releases from Carrera. This time in the shape of the 'Goldfinger' set.

1964 saw the release of this film and it is still one of THE all time favorites for alot of people.

The two cars in the, what was then still relatively early days for this type of film sequence, inevitable chase scenes were the Aston Martin DB5 and a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible.

I saw the two cars from this set up for sale on Ebay here in Switzerland, won them and it turns out the guy lives close to me and is just getting back into slots.

Yes I sent an invite to Swiss Race Bahn

Anyway they arrived this week and as I studied them I was hit by the contrast in quality. Chalk and Cheese came to mind.

The Mustang is typical of so many Carrera releases in that it somehow defies belief and looks like a toy.
(I have not found a satisfactory way to explain this, I KNOW it IS a toy but so many manufacturers manage to make their toys look realistic. Carrera often fail. look at the pics and see if you can get what I mean)
However, the Aston is again a top quality copy in miniature!

I say again because the last Aston Martin - the Vanquish - was also a top notch copy.

Why do they get one so good and the other so wrong looks wise?

I am not going to do a full review because the chassis is the same generic non entity as usual and so performance will be like any other recent (new chassis) Carrera release.
Instead I am simply going to post pics of a beautiful Aston Martin and a childish Mustang.

Come on Carrera - you let yourselves down again!

An all round 'Good Egg' ! The Driver is on the correct side and the cut of the mock Saville Row suit is millimetre perfect

Great detailing on the grille and notice the unobtrusive but amusing machine gun under each light...

Stunning detail on their tampo work, look at the DB5 logo to the right of the plate...

Tardy and boring chassis....

Translucent paintwork.....

Low quality chromed parts...

Badly fitting joins...

Anyway, as a piece of film history and a couple of nice cars to play with they pass muster and for sure the Aston is a wonderful addition to your collection.

Enjoy!

I look forward to the imminent Ferraris from Carrera and pray they are of the quality of the Aston and not the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (LSIntegra94 @ 4 Sep 2004, 17:40)Isn't it funny how the model build quality is true to there 1/1 counterparts?

Probably true, but the 1:1 cars differed in price by quite a bit. I doubt many of us could afford a 1:1 Aston, but you could probably trade in your Integra and step up to a Mustang?!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Swiss! That Aston sure looks the part! I'm also looking forward to those Ferraris and I'm hoping for them to be nicer than the average Carrera cars. The Bentley took a lot of work to get up to speed...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
recently got the aston - it is really well done!

As for the bond having some of the earliest car chases - what about Buster Keaton, Harold Loydd and Charlie Chaplin films?

And isn't it about time someone brought out the keystone cops police vehicles in 1:32

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Love the Aston, hate the Mustang. Swiss, there is no question as to what makes it toylike - you cited all the negatives! Combined, they make the thing look truly horrid. Shame though, because the Mustang is a classic in its own right.

Astro.... I think you need a vacation!

·
Registered
339 Posts
"but you could probably trade in your Integra and step up to a Mustang?!"

"But why would you want to?"

"To go faster. "

Maybe in a straight line.

But, back to the point about the Carreras. My point was a simple observation of reality. I've seen plenty of Mustangs and plenty of Aston Martins. And it's true, a mass produced car can come no where near the build quality of one that is hand made. Maybe Carrera has become the ultimate in attention to detail.

Hey Swiss, any idea as to why Carrera put those hideous and incorrect wheels on the Aston race car? And do you know if Carrera plans on releasing a scale version of the DBR9?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE any idea as to why Carrera put those hideous and incorrect wheels on the Aston race car?

Laziness? knowing that most people wont know the difference?
Usual stuff and not just from Carrera to be honest. I guess they can't all afford to cater to those of us in the know and who are REALLY fussy

For me it is a good excuse to fit after market running gear and make the body worth having.. Slot.It HRS Aston series anyone?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts