SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Challenger owners,

as of now I have no plans to buy Challenger, but who knows one day...

I am about to mount my 4 alne Ninco track semi-permanently to the plywood below. I've already soldered wire connect to the underside and drilled these through and I have drilled and place in track light sensors.

I want to set the "Chellenger" magnets NOW since it will be infinitely easier than tearing up a piece of the main stragiht down the road.

So my questions...

1) This magnet under the track necessity for Challenger....where is it placed:

a) relative to the slot (right side, left side, or somehow in the middle)

a2) IF right or left side... since I am wiring so I can change the track direction (CW & CCW) do I need a magnet on EACH side of the slot for each lane so the system would work both ways?

relative to where the tower has to go

2) I am assuming a magnet needs to be placed on each lane that Challenger will run on...(one each for each of my four lanes) Am I correct?

3) Can I use a button mag from a Fly car?

4) The tower thing, does it have to be on the LEFT side of the track, or can it work right side? (I would envision setting the magnets on my main straight and would need the tower to be on the OUTSIDE (LEFT when CW, RIGHT when CCW)

Any advice would be appreciated as I am going to get my track finished over the holiday.

Thanks, Ken R

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
2 fly cylinder mags would be good, they need to go each side of the rails, you would need 8 in total.

just leave a section or so loose, cant do any harm, infact we havnt pinned down our club track at all!

Rob.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Here is a lateral piece of thinking that may prove to be both impractical/impossible and perhaps hard to obtain an aswer to. But worth asking just the same!

I wonder if powerful enough magnets would be effective when lightly glued BELOW the baseboard, particularly if the board is very thin ply or MDF. If this were possible, then no track would need to be lifted in order to move the magnet positions around at any time. Alternatively, it might be feasible to carefully drill holes from the underside of the base board, in which to mount magnets.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thats a good answer Tropi and a solution that railway modellers have been using for years. Work through the board from the underside. Nice one.

Cheers
Moped

1 - 4 of 4 Posts