SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Thanks Nuro,
I'll have to print it and read it several times (at my age...)
Could you remind me how much it costs ?

Am I wrong or it was announced quite a long time ago ? I'm trying to imagine what Scaley's leadtime is (obviously fixated on Digital)

Ciao
Beppe

·
Jim Moyes
5,073 Posts
Nice one Russell

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,073 Posts
Good one Beppe

It's like tennis, this

Mr.M

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Interesting.

I think I would like to hear from others on their experiences before purchasing, but looks really good.

Scalextric really are producing some good stuff at the moment.

Adds a whole new dimension to the term "playing with yourself".

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
714 Posts
Let me be among the first to congratulate Astro and Admin for getting this review together so quickly and so well! First rate collaboration resulting in what must be a considerable 'scoop' - an actual hands-on test, rather than the usual 'I've just found someone else's picture on someone else's web site'. Those are useful but this is useful AND practical!

I am another who is going to treat Challenger with a little caution and hold back for a month or so to see how the longer term opinions run. But thanks VERY much indeed for this very early review!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
one to ask mr scalextric himself i expect - who knows what is inside the little 'smart' plugs.. and if it is more than a resistor, maybe one of the four available will work better with ur electronics (or lack of) than the scaly sport one

·
Jim Moyes
5,073 Posts
Just as an aside to this, and mindful not to veer another thread off topic, I had a quick peek at this in my local shop yesterday and was quite surprised to see reference to other brands on the box. It plainly states that Challenger is compatible with Carrera, Ninco & SCX. Ninco were always slightly coy about the fact that their "chicane" just happened to double up as an adaptor to SCX/classic track with no more than a simple "compatible with other brands" mentioned. Is this a sign of possible links that other people have suggested should happen, and frankly I thought were just a pipe dream.

The twisted side of me had a little chuckle at the thought of the packaging for the Spanish market Challenger having to announce that it was compatible with Scalextric

Mr.M

·
Registered
280 Posts
In answer to a few points:
The car only communicates with the tower at the Start Line when the car approaches/passes the tower.

The plugs are direct shorts to full power. Good results are NOT achieved if you simply jam a controller on to full power.

It is not necessary to re-learn the circuit if the car stops. Just let the car crawl up to the Start Line and press the Fast or Slow 'Go' button again!

I hope this helps.

Happy Christmas. Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guys

I spoke to a chap at Scalextric this morning, and the switch on the underside of the car is change the height of the magnet in the car.

Sport track has the rails slightly lower in the surface than classic track.

I and the other people in the office have tried out the challanger on a standard scalextric classic figure of 8.

Got 2.4 with the switch on sports after changing it to Classic got 2.0 laptime.

I think that this is great but had to hand it over to the wife last night to go under the tree. but cant wait until i can use this shoud be good fun.

Well done Scalextric.

Scalextricracer

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well, I got my black car today. so after having a little play, I rang 3.9 to see if he wanted to pop over and help me test/problem find. having not actually read the instructions fully, just finding about bstteries! no rechargables? what? I had to commandeer the batteries out of clocks around the house!

anyway, a short review here. beaten on fast mode by a carrera bentley with the rear mag removed.. my thoughts later.
I didnt have a problem with the deslotting on slow mode.

although we found an alternative use for it! not so much race it but try to stay behind it and practise throttle control!

we used it on a carrera circuit in my lounge, but it never seemed to use full throttle at all! as I say, will report more when I can use broadband

Rob.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I haven't been around today and just catching up a little.
It seems to me a shame that batteries should be needed for equipment that runs exclusively together with something that necessarily uses an ever present power supply! I hate battery powered anything. I understand the necessity in many cases, but not in this one.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi Tropi.

In order to provide compatibility with Scalextric, Ninco and Carrera then battery power was essential for the tower to prevent the use of another wall wort.

Thats my reading of the situation anyway.

Remember that folk may want to attempt to use Challenger in a number of situations that may well not be limited to these 3 main brands and also remember folk may be running all sorts of non stock power supplies.

Also batteries give you the flexibility to put the Challenger start line anywhere on your circuit.

Does this help?

Moped

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just had a quick look at the one I picked up earlier this week and note that it says it races over 20 or 50 laps on the box, but 25 or 50 in the instructions, for those of you who like to know all these kind of details. I suspect the box description is incorrect as I have not tried mine out yet. Perhaps someone (Adrian?) could confirm the number of laps?

CB

1 - 20 of 38 Posts