SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
8e edition Confolens Classic 2022, sur la piste 'Monstre Vert' de Champagne Mouton

Hood Green Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Date: Saturday & Sunday 24 & 25 September 2022
Venue
: Les Terrieres, off Rue Jules Ferry (the D36), 16350 Champagne Mouton, Charente, France.
Contacts: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
website for Confolens Slot Racing Club: Log In or Sign Up to View

Classic slot car racing for cars and parts manufactured before 1970

Saturday: 1/32 scale

1) Revell race: 'first generation' kits and RTRs, SP500 motor.
2) Scratchbuilds race.
3) Scalextric Endurance, drivers paired, for Sports/GT cars cat. no. C15 etc.

Sunday: 1/24 scale
1) Sports/GT production race: commercial hard body RTRs and kits.
2) 'Thingies' race: commercial RTRs.
3) Scratchbuilds race.

In other words the classes are unchanged from 2021. There are, however, refinements, without changing the ambiance.

Overall:

1) Part laps to count. We shall be dividing the lanes into 100 parts and painting on the divisions! Parts to be counted at the end of each 6-heat race. This avoids both the frustration of finishing just behind the lap counter but getting no credit, and the high number of ties between competitors seen this year because only whole laps counted.

2) Extra point awarded to those driving their own car. It was so in 2020 but seemingly overlooked in 2021. This is to encourage competitors to find and fettle their own 1960s slot cars. The Confolens Classic ambiance means, though, that loan cars will still be available through experiened vintage racers' generosity.

3) Number of competitors: limited to 30. To enable racing to finish at a reasonable time Sunday afternoon for those with a long distance to travel. And so we all get fed Saturday evening!

Race classes:

1) 1:32 Revell: Original equipment wheel hubs only. This is to control rear tyre width.

2) 1:24 Thingies: Original equipment chassis only. Thingies are effectively another commercial production class, not a race for scratchbuilds.

3) All classes: Rubber tyres (urethane) only. No silicones, sponge etc. I can hear the cross-Channel cheers from here! Much debated and requested in the two years so far, we'll try to level the playing field for 2022.

Pictures, reports, technical details, debates and opinions in English for the two previous yearly events at Champagne Mouton are here on the Forum, under 'Events' and 'Vintage & Collector's Corner'.

See you here in 2022!
Richard
, for Confolens SRC.

·
John Roche
4,301 Posts
Just thinking ahead, do body and chassis for the 1/24 kit class have to be from the same manufacturer or, for example, could I race an AMT chassis with a Monogram or even a kit body?

Whatever, I would like an entry subject to the state of the world next year. I think I have cars ready for most classes although some might need treating to new tyres.

Cheers,

John

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, for the 1:24 standard class the body and chassis have to be from the same manufacturer. What Mark Webster queried this year: "meme maison". The example you give would run in the scratchbuild class.

Yes let's look forward to easier travel in the months to come. I could even try Big Birds and Double Trouble at Rockingham again.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Announced on the club's Facebook page a couple of days ago, although I was not aware of it until clubnight yesterday and was not party to the decision:

"Cette année , nous allons inaugurer la 1ere course de "Formule1" depuis la naissance en 2015 de notre grand rdv annuel . La course "REVELL" de l'année derniere est remplacée par une course reservée aux "POWER SLEDGE" de SCALEXTRIC .
sont donc acceptées pour cette course , les voitures suivantes :
- C5 : Europa Vee ( avec ou sans aileron )
- C6 : Panther ( avec ou sans aileron)
- C8 : Lotus
- C9 : Ferrari
- C14 : Matra

I imagine you don't need that translated, but just in case, the first race on the Saturday will NOT be for Revell 1:32 cars but Scalextric Power Sledge as listed.

·
Kitbasher
4,565 Posts
An entry for me pleeease Richard! :cool:

I will no doubt ask LOTS of questions between now and setting off for France in September....

·
John Roche
4,301 Posts
There was a race for these at one of the Dunkerque vintage meetings a few years back. They could be made to handle quite well with a brass tube to sort the front axle. They were dog slow but the racing was close.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well I can't say I am not disappointed...just got the Revell's running well!
Are there any modifications allowed to the cars apart from new tyres?

I suspect that there may be a strong smell of burnt motors on that long straight!
Anyone need a RX motor re-zapped?!

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wonderful - so, I will now throw the revell corvette that I have been sorting into the bin and cancel the back up revell mercedes 300 that is on its way to me from the states.
I now have to source yet another car and learn how to make it run - and it will no doubt need parts etc.

A costly decision this one.
As a non collector I have no old cars and so I am buying cars just for this event, instead of borrowing cars as per last year.

This really has made my effing day.
Just having a moan!

Mr Grumpy

·
Registered
96 Posts
It seems odd to be asking your competitors for advice - so I will;
Of the F1 cars listed which do you think would be the best and are there any best avoided? Or are they all much the same?
Are they readily available?
I vaguely remember running these cars as a kid and they did not run well - or maybe that's just my failing memory.

·
Administrator
10,325 Posts
Well, they should be a little faster than the C59 BRMs we've run in the past, if that's any consolation. I don't think any of these is any faster than the others, they all have the same basic chassis.

I'm a bit disappointed myself, would have liked a bit more consultation on this - or at least keep the Revell race too, since I thought that was very successful and easily accessible, not to mention more apt for the track.

Don

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with Don, they are all on a par, which is not necessarily good!
Contact Phil Smith who has some in stock at reasonable prices....I have just succumbed to the first purchase of the year!
Mark

·
Kitbasher
4,565 Posts
Yes please Mark on the zapp, I will get a couple of motors off to you fairly soon.
Chez Pouvet, I agree, I have my Revell going very nicely and a fresh bodyset ready to paint and detail..... :(:(:(:(:(:oops:

Richard I have popped off an email off to Jean. Bruno
How do I book the gite accommodation?

Seriously the Phil Smith Rocket needs to be destroyed!
I think that I might have got second at Dunkerque but Phil lapped me every 4 laps or so.... and I was lapping the others!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the comments, very helpful for an old car novice!

Anyone looking for accommodation for the event may like to consider staying in my gites.(Other alternatives are available! - ) We are 6k away from the event.

At the request of Jean Mi I close the gite holiday business for the weekend of the event.
We have 5 rooms and so can take 12 people (if they don't mind sharing a twin room) or 5 guests with their own room.
The rates/rooms are purely for slot car racers attending the event.
The rates are 40 euros per night per person, sharing a twin room, or 50 euros per person per night for a double room, single occupancy.
We are not licensed for food but I will put continental breakfast goods into the gites included within the rate.
I only offer this because it helps the club - the rates are not "commercial"
Payment is cash upon departure, no deposits required, first come first served.

if you want to see pictures and customer reviews please see our airbnb listing (but don't book via airbnb)

If you want to book or have any questions send me a message.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jean-Mi spoke to me at clubnight in Confolens yesterday after I queried the decision on CSRC's Facebook page. He apologised for having forgotten that club members agreed on the 2022 format days after the 2021 event at which point I started this thread. The reason he gave was that he thinks it is difficult to police the Revell entries. I don't agree but the boss is always the boss even if the boss isn"t always right! We can always lobby for the return of the Revells in future during this year's event.

I jogged the memories about the other things agreed e.g. part laps to count so we need to mark up the track, Thingie original chassis - these are still on.

Ian I suggest your first port of call for vintage stuff you haven't got is me and my barn full of old slot cars and parts, far more than I am ever likely to refurbish. I personally wince at the expense and possible hassle of eBay delivery and import from the USA and even the UK now post-Brexit.

Richard

1 - 20 of 103 Posts