SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well I can't say I am not disappointed...just got the Revell's running well!
Are there any modifications allowed to the cars apart from new tyres?

I suspect that there may be a strong smell of burnt motors on that long straight!
Anyone need a RX motor re-zapped?!

Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree with Don, they are all on a par, which is not necessarily good!
Contact Phil Smith who has some in stock at reasonable prices....I have just succumbed to the first purchase of the year!
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
OK thanks Richard.
Does this include the guide as well, i.e. standard depth?
Should that be urethane tyres only as per the other classes as announced in the first post?
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks Richard...but now I am confused!

First post states:
3) All classes: Rubber tyres (urethane) only. No silicones, sponge etc. I can hear the cross-Channel cheers from here! Much debated and requested in the two years so far, we'll try to level the playing field for 2022.

Your comment on the Powersludge cars:
“no modifications beyond replacing tyres - with rubber or urethane of course.”

So...is it urethane tyres only, which are not rubber but a form of plastic, or can we use rubber tyres as well, e.g NSR, Slot it etc. I hope I am not being too pedantic, but there is a big difference to me at least! Rubber tyres will no doubt get treated with various oils and potions so can impact the urethane tyres. If it is urethane only then it really would be a level playing field.

Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the clear update.
I think that you know I will vote for a silicone ban!
It is desperately frustrating to try and drive on the track after silicones have been run, allowing urethane only or urethane and rubber (NSR/Slotit etc.) would be much fairer for all.
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Looking at the Confolens FB page it seems that the silicone ban is likely, but with the possibility of running the Thingy race last with silicones if you so desire. A practice session for the thingies directly before the race is also suggested. A good compromise I think.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Ian,
Zapping is re-magnetising. The open frame motors in particular lose magnetism over time, so re-magnetising should increase power, brakes and help the motor run cooler. I zapped the Powersledge motor that I had bought for September and it made a noticeable difference to top speed, acceleration and braking. However, all things are relative and it is still a Powersledge with all the performance you would expect!
Zapping Pittman, Atlas and MRRC motors will make a big difference if the magnets are a bit tired though.
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree with Don's sentiments.
There is plenty of opportunity to use vac form bodies in the scratch built classes. I think you will get closer racing by restricting the standard class to hard bodies models and avoid any arguments over rule interpretation.......and there are lots of hard body models to choose from in both scales.
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
John,
In theory adding magnets should make a difference, but in my experience it is not as effective as zapping. It would be better to replace the old magnet with a neo magnet, but if you are running your open frame motors on plastic track the neo magnets might be too strong, i.e. too much magnatraction.
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ian, if silicone tyres have been run on the track during normal weekly race meetings then your urethane tyres are going to struggle for grip until the track is clean again. Rubber tyres NSR, Slotit etc) are less affected by silicone deposits, but will still need regular cleaning until the silicone deposits are removed. If everyone is using urethanes then the track will eventually get clean, but you have to run a lot of laps with regular tyre cleaning. Clutch and brake cleaner fluid is often used to clean the track surface and remove goop or silicone deposits. Perhaps this is planned for CM before the vintage meeting?
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Richard,
That is not good news and a little unfair I think. I have recently bought as Asp just for this event (it will run nowhere else) which has a 16D as standard. I would be amazed if it is faster than a 36D on the main straight. Perhaps you guys could have further discussions....the rules seem to be a moving target at the moment. I have also bought a Powersledge, which of course have now been dropped.
Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you are worried about it becoming a Cuc only class then run a separate race for them or exclude them?! The latter is not good for Ian of course.
The rules are becoming unnecessarily complicated.....

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Bonjour,

The question has been asked about vacform bodies in the two standard Sports/GT classes. i.e. if the catalogue car came with a vacform body, is it eligible or are these classes restricted to hard bodies? The examples given were the Russkit Porsche Carrera 6 (906) in 1:24 and Riko in the smaller scale.

I referred this to le chef. Jean-Mi was not familiar with Riko, for example, but was happy to take my word for it that certain 'catalogue' cars came with vacform bodies as standard and are therefore allowed.

If you are tempted by 1:32 Riko, though, don't forget that not all are from the 1960s. 'Competition' (Rikochet motor), 'Super' (Rikowhip) and 'Trophy' (Rikowhip again) Series were all out before or by the autumn of 1969. These three are thus eligible. The 'Sideliner' anglewinder didn't appear until the early autumn of 1970 and the 'orrible but common GXL - Riko Rocket motor in the Competition chassis with cheapo alloy mounts to take a 'handling' body - is from '73 from memory. They are NOT eligible.

I have lists of which bodies came with which Riko kits, if needed.

Cheers, Richard.
Richard,

So on the strength of the earlier post which specifically allowed vac form catalogue cars.....I sold a nice 1/24 Cox Cheetah back to Phil Smith and bought a Russkit McLaren which is now according to the above post no longer a legal entry! So why has this decision changed again? I thought that the above quote was the clarification, but is now reversed.....why?

Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Richard, that is great news, many thanks!
So I can whittle some brass plate for the 1/32 class as well...as I have a mild obsession with this material that is good news also!
A great looking poster too.
Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts