SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Jean-Mi ('Geronimo') and I had a good chat over coffee at his place last Friday. Translating "both singing from the same song sheet" took some doing! :)

To precis, the Revell 1:32 race is back on, the Scalextric Sports/GT Endurance Team Race is dropped for 2022 but the cars may come back in a different race format in a future year, and we have a race for Scalextric Powersledge open-wheelers. These and all the other classes and regs. are posted on the club's Facebook page, in French. Jean-Mi has asked that I translate them for the English speakers here on the Forum, which 'tifosi' Peter Emery also requested. I'm on the case.

'Three Wise Men' - well, two plus me - will scrutineer. I shall ask via message the two guys Jean-Mi and I think are well qualified.

On whether to allow silicone tyres, Jean-Mi and I have different understandings of what was agreed last October, just before I started this thread. What we HAVE agreed last Friday, however, is that there will be a vote. If you have competed in the Confolens Classic before, or fully intend to race this year if the Covid regs. permit international travel, you can vote. Jean-Mi will conduct this for the French on CSRC's Facebook page; he asked that I do it for the English speakers on 'ere. So, gentlemen, do we allow or ban silicone tyres across all classes at the 2022 Confolens Classic on the 'Green Monster' wooden routed track at Champagne Mouton?

Cheers,
Richard.

·
Kitbasher
4,565 Posts
No silicone, end of
In terms of tyre prep Urethane only makes sense but I can certainly live with NSR/Ortman mix

But. No. Silcones. PLEASE?

Oh and please keep up the good work Richard

Reactions: ArJayAytch

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jean-Mi ('Geronimo') and I had a good chat over coffee at his place last Friday. Translating "both singing from the same song sheet" took some doing! :)

To precis, the Revell 1:32 race is back on, the Scalextric Sports/GT Endurance Team Race is dropped for 2022 but the cars may come back in a different race format in a future year, and we have a race for Scalextric Powersledge open-wheelers. These and all the other classes and regs. are posted on the club's Facebook page, in French. Jean-Mi has asked that I translate them for the English speakers here on the Forum, which 'tifosi' Peter Emery also requested. I'm on the case.

'Three Wise Men' - well, two plus me - will scrutineer. I shall ask via message the two guys Jean-Mi and I think are well qualified.

On whether to allow silicone tyres, Jean-Mi and I have different understandings of what was agreed last October, just before I started this thread. What we HAVE agreed last Friday, however, is that there will be a vote. If you have competed in the Confolens Classic before, or fully intend to race this year if the Covid regs. permit international travel, you can vote. Jean-Mi will conduct this for the French on CSRC's Facebook page; he asked that I do it for the English speakers on 'ere. So, gentlemen, do we allow or ban silicone tyres across all classes at the 2022 Confolens Classic on the 'Green Monster' wooden routed track at Champagne Mouton?

Cheers,
Richard.
Ban the slippery suckers!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the clear update.
I think that you know I will vote for a silicone ban!
It is desperately frustrating to try and drive on the track after silicones have been run, allowing urethane only or urethane and rubber (NSR/Slotit etc.) would be much fairer for all.
Mark

·
Administrator
10,318 Posts
I also vote Nay on the Sillies!

Just one other possibility, which I had mentioned to Richard at some point: keep the Thingie race for the end, and then Anything Goes!

(gosh, this guy is smart! ... hmm, not really, that would eliminate the possibility of practice - never mind)

cheers,
Don

·
Slot King
3,165 Posts
Not that I want to vote twice but here are some other points that could be discussed over coffee at Jean Mi's:

-Spoiling the 1/24th scratch class (as suggested on FB) is not a good idea. Running the Thingies last with silicones is a less bad idea (I can then skip the class and go home early on Sunday). Last year the grip problems started during the "standard" 1/24th class, when the silicones first appeared, it seems no-one ran silicones in 1/32nd.
As an aside, I gave Remi (the local guy who makes silicone tyres using bathroom sealant) the recipe for making urethane tyres, hopefully he is getting on with that.
Other points of discussion could be:
  • Banning vacformed bodies from both standard classes to keep the performance more even and at a lower level than the scratch classes.
  • Banning "raccha" type cars/chassis from the 1/24th standard class to avoid someone running the same chassis in all 3 1/24th classes, those can be run in the thingy and scratch classes anyway.

Scrutineering is a must, to avoid some of the dodgy stuff we saw last year.

Joel

·
Administrator
10,318 Posts
Good comments Joel.

As far as I understand, vac-form bodies are already banned from the standard classes - I know they are in 1/24, and I assumed it was the same in 1/32, which is new.

Did anyone actually run a "racha" type car in 1/24? Seems all was pretty standard, given that hard bodies were mandatory.

Don

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had to buy cars for this event.
Based upon the rules as they stood I have bought a 1/32 cucaracha and a 1/32 mini-dream intended for the standard 1/32 and scratch 1/32 respectively.
Can we please finalise the regs/classes as I want certainty regarding what is, and is not, permitted.
I was thinking about getting a 1/24 cucaracha for the production class as this was a commercially available, ready to run, production car - but now...?
Clarity required - quickly.

·
Slot King
3,165 Posts
Clarity indeed, I didn't realise that vacform bodies weren't allowed in standard classes.

-Ian The 1/32nd Cuc is a thingy and was never right for any of the 1/32nd classes. Not sure the Mini Dream isn't a thingy too, microscopic front wheels and out of scale bodies spring to mind, best to check with Richard. The 1/24th Cuc will be fine for the Thingy class, and with a change of body the chassis could be used in the scratch class too.

-Don I have a Dinoracha body which is a straight swap for the Cuc body, the speed difference compared to more sedate "standard" cars is startling to say the least.

Joel

·
Administrator
10,318 Posts
Joel, yep, I'm aware of the Dinoracha, but didn't think anybody entered anything like that - and yes, it might be worth saying something about that, but not sure what: wheels and tires have to be semi-scale? Only hard bodies, no polypropilyne? If anybody cared to bring in a Unicar, that should run circles aroudn the others too.

I ran a Cox Ferrari GT briefly at Nieuport and it wasn't exactly a ball of fire with a standard Cox motor, maybe even a Nascar, but I used regular Cox Ferrari wheels instead of the low riders.

Don

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looking at the Confolens FB page it seems that the silicone ban is likely, but with the possibility of running the Thingy race last with silicones if you so desire. A practice session for the thingies directly before the race is also suggested. A good compromise I think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The idea of deleting the powersledge race - or any other race now for that matter - is disappointing.
I hope it does not happen.
As I have said before we need certainty about the classes/rules. They keep changing!
To re-iterate, having won last years race - due to people lending me great cars (and the bad luck of others) I decided to comply with the spirit of the event (and avoid a points penalty) and buy my own cars for this year. I am not a collector/old car fan and don't have a stock of old cars.
I think we must keep the classes as they stand .
If we must allow a silicones for the thingy race then the event must finish one hour later to accommodate them.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts