SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like a really dumb question but i've just been trying for the past half hour to remove the pinion from one of my fly motors as I wish to replace it with a 12 tooth one to see how it goes.

Anyway apart from completely mangling the existing pinion has anyone got any top tips on how to remove them easily?This one just doe not seem to want to budge.

Thanks

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
I use the Ninco gear puller thingy available from your favorite Slot Car Store. Neat little bit of kit, but I'm sure others use different methods.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I find the Ninco puller to be too thick at the base most of the time to slip under the pinion. I have pro-1/24 style pullers by Jk and others that are of better steels and very thin and will slip under the pinion.
If you cannot easily slip the thing under the pinion, don't force it, you can damage the endbell. Cheaper in the long run to just take diagonal cutters and cut the thing off.
I use 12s all the time on my sidewinders, but I am running them on more than30' straights.

Fate

·
Registered
514 Posts
You can reduce the thickness of the Ninco tool with a Dremel. About half the original size apparently works fine with Fly sidewinders.
I haven't done this to my own tool yet, but saw it in an article:
http://www.bilbane.no/artikler/pinjong.html
Unfortunately only in norwegian, but take a look at the bottom pictures to see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cartrix do a gear puller with thin jaws. Unlike the Ninco tool, the Cartrix is just a puller, but needs must, if you don't wish to try grinding the ninco down.

Mark.

·
Registered
458 Posts
use a pair of pliers put one side on the end of the motor shaft and one on the back of the pinion when u squeese it it will pull the pinion half off, it shold just come off from there, it did on all my scaley cars.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cartrix make a pinion removal tool:

CTX1117 PINION REMOVAL TOOL £5.50rrp

I am not sure if it will work on Fly, but I will try it over the next couple of days and get back to you.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (compound_goose @ 16 Mar 2004, 20:09)use a pair of pliers put one side on the end of the motor shaft and one on the back of the pinion when u squeese it it will pull the pinion half off, it shold just come off from there, it did on all my scaley cars.

Sorry to disappoint compound G, but on a FLY sidewinder the pinion is very and I mean very close to the motor can, so one half of the jaws of a pair of pliers will not get in there - neither will the standard Ninco tool. Just ask my Lola T70 !

Aaron! welcome back. Thanks for the part number of the Cartrix tool (not that Sean needs it you understand, but helpful all the same
)

Mark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sean didnt have the Cartrix one in stock so I got the Ninco Puller. I then got my drill with a Titanium tipped bit in it and just ground away at the bar until it was thin enough to fit behind the Fly Pinion.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had excellent service with the Hudy puller from Professor motor. It has a thin jaw and the pin fits right through the pinion for a complete pull.
Harry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts