SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
What three things would you do to change F1 for the better?

1) NO REFULING. At all. Qualifying aside, start the race with a huge full tank and run to the finish.

2) Removal of driving aids, traction control, auto boxes etc. All you have is your rev limiter and your radio. Semi-auto's permitted.

3) Slicks for grip with no TC around. Plus they're cooler.

I have many more suggestions, but 3 seems fair for everyone.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
interesting question LMP - and if you don't mind me adding a sort of related question - what makes F1 be F1?

It is related, because it helps determine what you can change with F1 and have it still be F1

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
In my eyes, Formula One should be the worlds premiere racing series. At the moment, it isn't.

The huge gap in performance between the cars completely takes away the competitiveness, nowadays it seems the drivers can't be bothered to puch their car to the very limits just to keep up with a rival, never mind pass him. It should be about fighting, never giving up. Overtaking manouveres should be daring and gutsy, diving in at every opurtunity. The drivers should want those positions so badly they give their all to get them.

F1 should not be about tactics and 'playing your cards right' which is what it has become today. Sitting quietly and waiting, planning pitsops carefully. Thats not racing, its stratergising. There should be minimal stratergy involved, pit only if necessary.

I think a change in rules, some new, some changed, would restire F1 to its former 'all or nothing' status. The pursuit of victory it seems, is given up upon as soon as Schumey snr takes the lead after the first lot of stops. Second place will do........

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
Then they should'nt be so tight on the drivers! The whole point of racing is to overtake, they can't penalise the drivers for racing! Ok, shunting off the track is one thing, but wheel banging and body rubbing is quite another.

Footy players aren't booked for every tckle where the opposition goes down are they?

Making the cars a bit stronger might not be a bad idea either........

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 - Race every week, shorter races (makes pit stops obsolete), same season. (Get some cool tracks could be added - London street, Brands, Watkins Glen?)
2 - Allow ABS, traction control, semi automatic gearboxes (these are on everyday road cars)
3 - Limit driver earnings to $1.5 million per annum excluding indirect income.

Can I have a fourth? Pleeeeeaaassssse?

4 - End of season public scrutineering - all secrets exposed for all teams to see. means no technical changes during the season. Start season with a car, finish with same car, and at the end of the season all your secrets get publicised!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Some good points coming forward here. Seems everyone has their own views so I guess it will always be hard to make everyone satisfied. Of course, we want close racing; but F1 is supposed to be the panicle of racing technology. We can't take too many steps in the wrong direction, by slowing cars down too much.

However what would be interesting… is to take the field of F1 drivers to a show room. Let them buy identical cars and race em as a end of season race, would we see good racing?

More seriously, I like the idea to run shorter races. Maybe 2 in the same weekend? 1 Saturday and the next the following day.

I don't think we'll ever reach a conclusion, but it's worth airing our thoughts!

All the best
James

·
DT
5,195 Posts
It's all money driven and controlled by one guy. If he's worried about an issue, he calls in the bosses of the biggest teams and asks their advice. They're bound by sponsors and he's just counting the $$.

It would be cool if it could be less commercial, but then all racing is commercial and all international sport at this level is commercial. It just seemed more about passion 40 years ago with less ads and fewer gazionlaires worried about the length of their next yacht.

I don't think that you can turn back the clock and get rid of technology. We have a tendency of advancing and moving on. If technology makes us better, we shouldn't limit it. The issue is money and disparity between the rich teams and the less-rich teams.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I'd go for same length races, but no stops for fuel or tyres. Wings seriously reduced tyres wider, no traction control nor any assistance with gearboxes. Even power steering could go if down force was cut.

But...

Before you get too down on modern F1 it wasn't much better in the good old golden days, whenever you might those were. In the 50's races were won by miles and what we might recall as great races in the 80's were more about bad strategy (using too much fuel or tyre grip early in the race) hence boring* old Mr Prost beating everyone.

The only thing that seems to spice up racing these days - remember the teams are now very very good at going racing - is success weight penalties as in the DTM and BTCC. However, that is an obvious, artificial handicap and as such has no place in F1 or any other real motor sport.

As for putting drivers in showroom cars for get it - you could put Zlot Baumgartner in a Michael's Ferrari and give it to Sauber to run and be sure that he'd still be a tosser, while Michael would be doing amazing things with a Williams Jordan run Jordan. In other words, the best will always do better - and so they should in a meritocracy.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the car have to be box standard and not have anything glued together.
They must run with untrue tyres and wonky axles and should always use magnets

oh were on real F1? scrap it completely it's a waste of fuel

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
One of the problems seems to be aerodynamics. The cars are so dependent on downforce that when they get into the 'dirty air' behind another car they loose grip and stability. So teams should be encouraged to place more emphasis on mechanical grip rather than downforce.

If pitstops remain, why not limit how many stops a team can use per season? Say 18 races to a season, 9 2-stoppers, 9 3-stoppers, total 45 scheduled pitstops per car. So the top five or six teams are allowed 30 stops per car. The others get 40. Minardi and Jordan no limit. No limit per race, but if you get to the last 4 races of the season with only one pitstop left then you'd better be sure your fuel tank's big enough!
Stops to repair damage are free, but you can only repair or replace damaged parts.

Circuits. Some tracks are notorious for being difficult to overtake on. Why use them? There are plenty of places around the world desperate to stage a F1 race, so try them instead.

·
Jim Moyes
5,043 Posts
Introduce homologation! Bloody things aren't cars anyway!

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Some good points above. It`s been said before, but there would not be the same amount of moaning if it was a Brit instead of MS running away with it. In fact, I believe that MS said that himself.

Word from the Phoenix boys who were there is that it was a great weekend so perhaps it`s just the televisionn coverage that doesn`t work. It`s been said often enough that a written report on a slot race meet is boring and that slot races don`t make good television so maybe it`s just about presentation and the level of personal involvement?

I honestly thought the battle for second place was good and I can see things changing once MS retires. For me what`s needed is around six to eight more drivers to raise their game and earn their pay. Yes the budgets and car build quality etc, etc, will always matter but at the moment, Ferrari are just the dream team and set the standard.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Support the idea of no pitstops, unless required to change to wet tyres etc..

The other obstacle is Bernie Ecclestone. I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him. He has got far too big and should be pegged down a few rungs. Somebody buy him out. Who does he think he is telling BAR not to sign Jenson Button.

M

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think that there is only one thing that needs to be changed...

cost of engine... as I see it there is no real engineering reason to use super advanced and hyper expensive materials in engines - except for making them 'better no matter of cost' and thus so expensive that the resulting engines cost far too much for most every racing team to cope with. There is no reason to have the rules that only makes it possible for a small handful of teams to compete realistically.

All other things are much more related to perfection and skill. All teams would avoid overtaking if they could. If the teams were more equal in engine supply and performance they would surely overtake much more - because it might be worth while doing so. Also rules that support the use of as few engines per season per team as possible would be favourable I think.

Strategy is not a bad thing in itself I believe - it only shows how brilliant a team is (or not). There is no real excuse for the loosing teams since Ferrari for example obviously plans thoroughly for each race, adapts and CHANGE their strategy within the realms of the race. This point in its own right is not an example of bad racing. One can compare with teams that plan well and then execute their plan but fail to change their plan according to racing conditions - that would hardly be a good foundation for a 'good race' ... not in isolation from other aspects at least...

//peter

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Peter, I understand your point of stretergy showing off a team's intelligence, but it belong sin a Risk sompetiton, not formula one. Racing is racing, I don't beleive stratergy should play a significant part.

Perhaps a suitable limitation on stratergy is to nominate your stratergy before the race, and if you change it you suffer a penalty. They could incorporate a similar system to taxi's suggestion where damage stops are free but work cannot be done.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I love F1 I am a huge fan, Not a big fan of MS to methodical though a fantastic driver not a racer IMHO For a racer look at JPM.
My thoughts on spicing up F1 more Racers, people who will overtake and take a chance. or for those currently paid vast sums of money to drive an F1 car to try and RACE an F1 car
The financial aspect of F1 is immense, the difference between the have's and have not's is huge and will just get bigger (if you were the CEO of a multi national would you rather have a small sticker on MS's Ferrari or a bigger sticker on a minardi?) So reduce the amount of money that can be spent . Engines that most last 2-3 race meetings, over teams being able to buy other manufacturer's engines for a set reasonable price. (so Jordan can afford a ferrari engine etc) with control ECU's .

I would also like to see control tyres, Gearboxes (manual or semi auto) and front/rear wings.

Pit stops only for tyres. (finnish the race with the fuel carried at the begining)

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of "motor racing" at the moment it doesn't come close.

would we as fans or the general public really care if F1 wasn't the pinnacle of technology?
I know i wouldn't as long as when i tuned in on a sunday i saw proper close racing

Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Easy,
  • 1) Set angle and size restrictions on wings - low downforce therefore
  • 2) Go back to eff off fat slicks - mechanical grip rules.
  • 3) Regulation size car numbers, big enough to read so I can tell who the hell I'm shouting at when I watch on the telly of a Sunday afternoon.
Formula One should be the top, anything goes type formula - just with standard wings so cars can actually run close through the bendy bits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts