SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have one track (Scalextric/SCX) four lanes about 19m in the lotft. I use it with my kid and sometimes with my sister in law and my brother. Most of time I stay alone trying to make another best lap...

I am looking for a device that allow to change the polarity of the track switching the direction of the cars. Anybody knows a device like this one? (and easy to be made at home?)

will be very welcomed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could be wrong but don't you just need to change the wires arround on the bottom of the track and that will reverse the direction?

·
Registered
714 Posts
The above are correct, but there are easier ways to do it.

One way to achieve what you want is to take out the power base section and turn it around before replacing it in the circuit.

Another way is to purchase another, extra, power base section and place it in the circuit facing the opposite way to the original. Then you can choose into which power base you connect the controls. This would save having to dismantle any track thereafter.

If you have some electrical ability you might consider adding a reversing switch to the existing power base.

Other possibilities are to track down a Scalextric Power Base that already incorporates a reversing switch. SSR 8014 is one. Another is SSR 8066, the Power Plus System that also adds a braking facility and ability to add a second power supply.These items are no longer made but can sometimes be found.
More details available at FW - Power Bases
I hope one of these approaches might help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can also change the wiring in the cars to change direction, ie, install a switch. Carrera cars come with a direction switch built in, at least some of them do. Not super usefull but another option none the less. I usually wire one into my scratch built cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've heard rumblings about a power base for Scaley Sport that will incorporate a reversing switch, but so far haven't actually seen proof. Anyone else heard of this, or is it just "vapor"?

Pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I've still got a power base with the polarity switch which I dont use, only 1 though and not transformer, uses jack plugs. Is this what someone mentioned? If so your welcome to that. I dont think it would be too hard to wire in a switch that would do it though

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (soapy @ 28 Jan 2004, 08:29)You can also change the wiring in the cars to change direction, ie, install a switch. Carrera cars come with a direction switch built in, at least some of them do. Not super usefull but another option none the less. I usually wire one into my scratch built cars.

Is it possible for someone to provide me with a schematic of how to add a reversing switch to a car? I assume it requires a double pole double throw switch (DPDT) but I'm not sure on how to wire it.

Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
if u number the pins:

1-2-3
4-5-6

connect 1 to 6
connect 4 to 3
connect black from braid to 1
connect white from braid to 4

connect black to motor to 2
connect white to motor to 5

done.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
There's an article on my layout's website on using two Scaley Sport powerbases oriented in opposite direction to enable you to race in either direction. This is the easiest way to go if you don't want to do any soldering.

The most important thing to note is to remove all controllers from the powerbase you are not using.

You can use either single or double wall warts or a DC power supply. The article focuses on using a DC power supply and has a procedure to follow when you change directions. A variable power supply adds a lot to slotting, in my opinion.

The best solution, of course, is to build your own wiring harness that includes a switch to reverse directions. There's a schematic for such a harness, that includes a switch to turn dynamic braking on and off as well as the polarity switch, at this link: schematic.

You don't have to have a permanent layout to use the harness. There are only two wires coming off of the harness to go to each lane and you can use the terminal end of scaley booster cables for these wires, which makes connecting or disconnecting easy. If you do build a permanent layout at some point you've got your power wiring done.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts