SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
just wondering if anyone might be able to identify the manufacturer of this Vintage Slot. It was my dads & was a kit build available in Aust (circa 1960s I think). I don't have any picts of the chassis on hand but I can certainly provide these .

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Toy

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

regards

Mal.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes, it`s Revell, no doubt; the kit version, as it has rollbar; front headlights seem to be missisng. It´s Chapparral 2A; 2C hadn't the rear air intakes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Would be lovely to see the chassis.

Clearly a 2A as the 2C sported a moveable wing although they did build a 2A with a 2C style flipper wing as well (thank you misters Falconer and Nye).

That, and very few 2Cs were made (Eldon did one, poorly for the most part) although Imai did a nice 1/24 kit.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,389 Posts
Should have an Aluminium ladder style chassis if Revell and Grey motor, Brass adjustable chassis and Red FT 16 if Monogram.

Body should be almost exactly the same as the MRRC and late Monogram Revell bodies.

·
Administrator
10,533 Posts
Nope, the kit Chaparral has a brass chassis (front axle holder) bolted on the front of the motor (can drive 16D) in the US version, and that piece is aluminum in the UK version. The ladder chassis was on the earlier series of cars. Revell also made a version of the car for their sets, with a simpler aluminum chassis; Monogram did the same model of the Chappy, but only for their sets, with a simple aluminum chassis.

I think both MRRC and of course Rev-Mono inherited the original molds...

Don

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think both MRRC and of course Rev-Mono inherited the original molds...
Yes, both MRRC and Revell-Monogram used the old Monogram body (with a different or modified pilot tray in the second case), which is quite different from the Revell body pictured above.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Definitely the Revell model, not the Monogram.

Early version, 1966 USA kit:
Tool Font Machine Motor vehicle Engineering

Scarcer version, USA kit 1967 (smaller box with styrene foam bottom)

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

British issue 1966 with shorter box and aluminum chassis:

Font Audio equipment Machine Transparency Metal

I don't have a pic of the Chaparral handy, but the RTR version for both the USA and UK has this one-piece chassis. This is the last US packaging for both the Cooper and the Chaparral. In the UK it came inside a small cardboard box.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Gas Rectangle

Revell also produced a few test shots in different colors, but few have survived.

Automotive lighting Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Electric blue

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This information is great. I will certainly post a photo of the chassis, but to me, from that complete kit photo kindly posted by TSRF, it looks very very likely that it is the Revell kit model.

It was well used (raced) over the years so yes, the front light (plastic inserts) are missing, and it doesn't surprise me that a rear view mirror might also have been a casualty !.

This car has a very special place for me though - as I said it was my Dads, who obviously built it, and I have very fond memories of racing it with him when I was little.......and having lost Dad a couple of years ago this little car is very dear to me. (and it IS a little car compared to some modern "scale" models of this)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Malomay1968,
please have no doubt, it IS a Revell model assembled from the kit, down to wheel inserts and decals.
Not a Monogram, Strombecker or any other make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts