SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts

Lots of new developments at chase-cars with a lower cost chassis and additional bodyshells too, it won't get you the fastest lap around your club circuit (unless you ditch the caravan race and have an American TV chase instead) but will be plenty of fun chasing the bad guys on your home track.

You can see all these new items and try them out at the UK Slot Car Festival 2012 - Sunday May 20th, on the chase-cars.com display in the main hall.
First, the chassis. Building on the established idea of making an American saloon car, errr, sedan, look realistic as you thrash it around the track, the chassis has steering for dramatic looking power slides and suspension so the car leans as it corners. The emphasis is on making the car easy to drive so the centre of gravity is low, the motor is mounted lengthwise, the tyres aren't super-grippy and there are no magnets.

The new chassis is more compact so it can fit under a wider range of bodyshells and it's easier to build too. Wheelbase is adjustable from 75 to 103mm and now there's only 16mm from the front axle line to the front of the chassis so if your yank tank has a short nose, this chassis will fit.

As before, the chassis uses a laser sintered process to make it very tough, and standard parts wherever possible to reduce costs. If you have a few old, dead cars in your toolbox you can probably use the motor, rear axle, and bearings for this chassis. A full list of parts required is on the website and can be easily sourced from your favourite spares supplier.

Because the chassis is more compact, it's cheaper. The chassis kit which includes the fixings, front stub axles and all the custom parts now starts at just £22. If you don't want to shop around for the standard parts like motor, axles, wheels (Penelope Pitlane alloys) and tyres (Ninco classics) then the complete kit is available for £50 and a fully assembled chassis is £65

Chassis components:

If you want your slot car to look like this:

Then you can drive it like this:

There are also new bodyshells in the range too. The 1977 police car is still there; a resin cast bodyshell and wheel inserts, with vacform windows and interior and extra details like clear resin roof lights, custom waterslide graphics and a resin Sheriff's head for the driver figure.

It's joined by completely new bodyshells you won't find anywhere else. The Bad Guys' black limo is a resin cast bodyshell and wheel inserts, with vacform windows and an interior featuring a driver, front seat passenger and Mr Big on the back seat. It's your choice how many dead bodies you fit into the trunk.

This very special resin bodyshell is made from 3D data which is fed into the latest rapid prototype machine to produce a high-resolution master body. Then it's back to traditional skills of a silicon tool and from there the slush-cast resin body. Mounting posts are included which line up with the custom chassis, or you can mount it to any standard chassis of the right dimensions.

Then there's the exclusive 1974 police car which is perfect if you're 106 miles from Chicago, you've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and you're wearing sunglasses. A resin cast shell and wheel inserts, with vacform windows and an interior with 2 figures. The passenger appears to be looking at the dashboard and saying "fix the cigarette lighter".

This bodyshell was created by a graphic artist and again uses the 3D data to directly produce the master body.
Resin wheel inserts complete the castings and the custom graphics are of a Mount Prospect police car, the whole thing looks great with a weathered look

Available in May is another unusual choice, the 1981 panel van. The bad guys couldn't get enough of these on TV; painting them as delivery trucks for kidnapping the daughter of a wealthy family or transporting stolen goods to a deserted warehouse. Or if you're planning a coast to coast race you might decide that this van painted as an ambulance will help you win. Maybe you'll paint it black and grey with a red stripe and decide it's the best form of transport for soldiers of fortune. The kit includes resin wheel centres for this choice and the roof spoiler too.

The next project which will be released this summer is a 1982 pickup truck. Imagine you're a Hollywood stuntman, you need a vehicle to get around with one or two of your colleagues (and pause here to think how beautiful one of your colleagues might be) but to make ends meet you're also a bounty hunter so you need a vehicle that can go anywhere to avoid the bad guys. Your vehicle of choice will be a fantastic pickup truck painted brown and gold and the only place to get the correct one is at www.chase-cars.com.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great to see our own home grown scratch builders being reviewed and plugged at long last on the front page

Roger.

Now how about Zagato,Steve Francis (who is involved with this venture) but does his own stuff. Plus many more

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Very nice models!! I remember the A Team van and the fall guys pick up truck from mispent saturdays in front of the tv!! Any chance of Magnum PIs Ferrari?! I agree with Roger, I would like to see more reviews for the bodyshells available from Steve, Zagato and others so we can all see what is available and how to acquire them as they make bodyshells of cars that aren't available RTR and would be of interest to many people.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I'd love to do a gold Firebird Esprit from the early series, but I think I'd have to start with a Camaro and modify the front and back to get there. It's on my list of things to think about...

QUOTE (rogerbass @ 14 May 2012, 17:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great to see our own home grown scratch builders being reviewed and plugged at long last on the front page

No review, just a press release I wrote up. However I'm happy to send kits or cars out for review.

Click the picture for the youtube video so you can see what makes these cars different - the way they look on the track

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have never turned down press releases - except for one or two stupid submissions. If you have a small business and would like to get your news out, send us a release.

More new features for small businesses will be announced soon. We will have a platform allowing individuals, scratch builders, small businesses and even retailers to promote and sell their products. More info at Gaydon, come and see us then and find out for yourself: [URL=]http://www.ukslotcarfestival.co.uk/

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 14 May 2012, 19:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to do a gold Firebird Esprit from the early series, but I think I'd have to start with a Camaro and modify the front and back to get there. It's on my list of things to think about...

YES PLEASE! If it helps I will order 2. That pickup you are doing looks very like Jim Rockford's dad's pickup. Double whammy.

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
Just to clarify: Does the £22 kit include everything except wheels tyres,bearings,gears, rear axle and motor ?
I presume included front stub axles are 1/32, and motor mount accepts standard scalextric mabuchi motor ?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Savage, you're exactly right. With the basic kit you need:

Mabuchi motor (as used in Scalextric cars back to the 1980s)
45mm rear axle with spur gear (36 tooth suggested)
3/32" bearings (6 per car, standard Scalextric ones)
Guide blade, I use a Ninco sprung guide
Wheels and tyres, I use PP aluminium wheels and Ninco classic tyres.

I'm happy to bundle these up for you but I can only buy them for the same price you can, and I'm sure we've all got at least a motor and axle in the box of dead cars somewhere.

The 3l32" brass bar is supplied with the basic kit, tapped as a stub axle, same for the 2mm brass bar and all fixings required.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 14 May 2012, 19:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to do a gold Firebird Esprit from the early series, but I think I'd have to start with a Camaro and modify the front and back to get there. It's on my list of things to think about...

RMS resins make an early 70s Firebird and Carrera do a late 70s Firebird, it's not just the front ends that are different on Camaros and Firebirds, the rear window is different as well.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
They're also incredibly tough! Each car did 3½ hours on the track, and they all did about half a dozen falls off the table. It's like pushing a Mini out of a bus, watching it fall down an Alp and then driving it away after it's landed. Total damage was:

1 bodyshell mount needed to be re-glued (my own fault for not glueing it with epoxy to start with)
1 wheel centre came out, which looked a lot like the Bullitt Charger shedding hubcaps.

Both fixed with a blob of glue and they were perfect again. Otherwise there were no running repairs, no adjustments needed and nothing came loose. However the pickup braids looked like they could have been ploughed and potatoes planted in them.

Hope everyone enjoyed trying them around the track, there were a few budding getaway drivers and Hollywood stuntmen around
The Van looked particularly good, something that tall doesn't look like it should drift through corners, but given a few laps of practice it really does.

A big thank-you to the organisers who made my day as easy as possible

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
I just cut and pasted this from the home page of the www.chase-cars.com website:

Quote -
I offer

Bare chassis you can add your own wheels, motor, guide etc £22 plus postage (go to the chassis build page to see which additional standard parts are needed)
Full chassis kit you can assemble yourself £50 plus postage
Fully assembled chassis £65 plus postage
1977 Police car bodyshell kit you can paint yourself £22 plus postage
1972 Bad Guys' Limo bodyshell kit you can paint yourself £20 plus postage
1974 Police car bodyshell kit you can paint yourself £22 plus postage
1981 Van bodyshell kit you can paint yourself £20 plus postage

- unquote.

Agreed pricing could be clearer - or at least the procedure to get a full price and how to pay should be clearer.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts