SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most, if not all, of you will be aware, on the Scalextric Sierra Cosworth (C455) the guide is in totally the wrong position in the chassis. It makes the front of the car far too high.

I've looked at the chassis of my spare Vectra (C2328) and I think it should be possible to do a cut-and-shut which would not only position the guide further into the body, but also give the car the quick-fit guide into the bargain.
So, here's the question......... How successful (or otherwise) have you been bonding chassis parts together? Would I be better-off looking for a later car with the same wheelbase and fitting the whole chassis?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
It's possible. Once you've selected the right adhesive for the job, it's all about cleanliness, bond area, clamping force and time.

You can make things clean by spraying some switch cleaner or something that'll degrease it and evaporate easily. You can increase the bond area by laying a large flat piece of plastic above the join and glueing that too, and you can make sure the cut parts fit together properly so they can be clamped tight for as long as the adhesive instructions say.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi Stu

If you really want to get the car running well I would recommend replacing the chassis altogether with a PCS32 chassis and perhaps upgrade the running gear to something like Slot.It, have a look at my recent build of how they mount to the body. Or pop along to TSCC and I will talk you through it

Stephen

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
for better performance you want the guide as far forward as possible. A lot of the cheaper 80's and 90's scalextric cars have high guides so they can easily go on the banked curves. Usually its possible to trim the hole the guide goes into to allow the front of the car to be lowered. Ive done this on a few although not on a sierra but i assume it to be similar.

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
Surely it can be done with epoxy and some styrene, wood or steel bracing, or you could make a guide "tongue" in brass and bolt it onto the chassis. The easiest solution would probably to use a slot.it HRS guide mount though.

I'm usually a fan of improving old models, but IMHO when it comes to the Sierra the Scalextric version lacks too much in both looks and handling compared to the newer offerings. I would recommend to take a look at either a SCX or AutoArt Sierra. The AutoArt is gorgeous but the chassis is dependent on the magnet to run nice. The SCX also looks great but has a better chassis, especially if you want adjustable down-force, or just like to race without magnets.

SCX Sierra review: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...ge=SCX-Cosworth

But if you just want to experiment with the old chassis it surely can be improved by making a new guide mount and also limit the vertical play in the front axle.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Hi Stu.

I did some major modifications to the same car, i changed everything. I will dig the car out later today & take some pictures but I do remember fitting a different guide, that was a lot lower. Also im sure i removed some plastic around the guide holder.

Even after all the work that was done it was still nothing brillaint, much better than before & more stable just nothing amazing.

If you really want to have a cracking cossy then as owensy said maybe getting a PCS chassis is the way to go. Or try & get the SCX version as mine is a nice runner.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I don't think I'll go any further with this one, just put it down to experience.
I've made a mental note not to buy any more pre-2000 produced cars. Maybe before acting on impulse, I should ask for opinions on here first.

I've already got the SCX Sierra on my want list, so I'll probably have one in the next few months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts