SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I thought I would post some images of Chateau Raceway which is currently under development.

So far I have been working on the pitlane and have attached some images of this along with the pit wall fencing and the pit building. I have yet to get the loft ready thanks to a wasps nest!

The pit lane is made from splicing together various bits of Scalextric sport track and I have used the points from some Scalextric digital track - they have got their own power supply rather than taking it from the circuit.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Welcome to SF, Chateau!

It looks like you're off to a good start! I love a track with an active pit lane.
Please keep us updated with pics as you progress. No need for pics of the wasps though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i disagree, some wasp pictures would be great . I have had to contend with enormous spider webs in he garage loft space and woodlice invading the track can be very dificult for the marshalls to deal with without actually resorting to a subuteo style flick. (not allowed in our house)

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I must say this is a very impressive start. I'd be very interested to know how you created the track using Scalextric pieces. Very nice work. Nice design of the track for the pitlanes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts! Have included some more pics of the fencing

As for the pitlane it was designed to require the least amount of cutting as possible but it still took ages! I used a scalpel for slicing through the plastic as it gave me the most accuracy - nasty when you make a mistake though! The bits of track are glued together on the underside using Araldite - the resin holds well but I wouldn't want to drop it. Any cracks are covered up using car body filler and then I finished it off by rollering the surface using black acrylic and a high density 5" roller (usually used for applying gloss paint). As long as the acrylic is applied in small amounts the roller creates the perfect stiple on the surface and matches the Scalextric track nicely.

For the supports I used Hornby track rails - cutting three grooves into it for the wire and a deeper fourth groove to create the angle.
The fencing is car body repair aluminium mesh sprayed using a grey primer to give it that galvanised effect.
Only one of the wires is attached to the two supports which gives it tension.
The other wires are connected to the supports using loops sealed with crimping tubes (see picture below).

Does anyone know if I need to spray the tree below with anything to preserve it?
One of my mini 'bush' ferns died in the dry spell but has made a great 'Autumn' style tree!
I was wondering if it needs spraying with an adhesive to preserve it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are some more pictures of the pit lane track - sorry about the image quality!

I've made it out of sections that click together rather than as one large piece.
On the reverse you can see the Araldite resin holding it together.
Unfortunately the camera has shown up the splice repairs on the road surface -
in normal light they hardly show up.
The crossovers where a nightmare as I had to use old Scalextric
classic track and the plastic isn't as easy to work with.

...The pit building is progressing nicely - will post some pictures of it soon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I need to see the rest of the track!

Seriously, I have already stolen your pit layout, show me what else I need to steal before I put router to wood

Welcome and thanks for showing us your amazing work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (alexands @ 11 Nov 2006, 12:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I need to see the rest of the track!

Seriously, I have already stolen your pit layout, show me what else I need to steal before I put router to wood

Welcome and thanks for showing us your amazing work.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad the pit lane is of some use - it kind of designed itself as I was restricted to splicing scalextric bits together. At least routing the track will give you more flexibility.

Apart from planning out the circuit the pit area is about as far as I've got - I'm currently building the pit garages but once all this is done I can start work on the rest of the layout.

Will post some more picks when available

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The starting light gantry is complete - still don't know how I fitted so many LED's (22) into such a small area! I had to allow for lights on both sides of the gantry (due to racers being seated in front of the starting line) and I had to include the two downlights for when I add the track sensors - also quite like how they light up the finish line (perfect for racing in the dark)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.