SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never done a proper full on scratch build but i rather like the look (and price) of some of the shells on offer from betta & classic. what are they like to work with? i was thinking of the grp or white plasticard to start with rather than lexan as i have plenty of experience with 1/24 static models .

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I would say go for it! the glass fibre range are not up to the standards of the latest resin bodies but for a start and for the money would recommend one as a first step into scratch building. They can be made into very nice looking models, there's lots of builds on here that are works of art using these shells. I've built plasticard cars too and would recommend if you're do a saloon to buy a plasticard one and clear version for windows.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was the plan. just need to decide what to go for! stratos , mirafiori , grp5 celica....ooooh...decisions , decisions!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still mulling this one over..need to finish a few other projects first...but got to wondering what would be the best thickness of clear moulding to buy to use for the windows , both from the view of ease of fitting and finished look? i did think though , that if i were to but the heavier guage i could end up with some nice arches etc for other builds!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice looking car! i have seen a few great looking single seaters that have been built from betta & classic shells but road/rally cars are more my thing. does anyone have any pics of completed saloons?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
It might be worth pointing out that Betta Classic aren't resin as such. They are glassfibre.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am looking at the vac formed styrene ones....grp hold no terrors for me though...done quite a bit with it over the years.

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
I did try a Porsche a good few years back and gave up on it because it was wonky (the off-side back end was higher than the near side back end). I've done a few F1 over the years - and found them not too bad (I'm not a very good scratch builder though), but as mentioned, they are cheap enough for you to buy 2 or 3 in case you muck one up.

The three cars pictured above have come out superb! The Maserati and Fergi look as if they could have been produced by GTM!

ABBO

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 6 Mar 2012, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>still mulling this one over..need to finish a few other projects first...but got to wondering what would be the best thickness of clear moulding to buy to use for the windows , both from the view of ease of fitting and finished look? i did think though , that if i were to but the heavier guage i could end up with some nice arches etc for other builds!
Not quite sure what you mean here.. But if I guess...

A .030 styrene and a .007 lexan combines fairly well.
I haven't taken mine far enough to show.
(Still got a few more the other week; 1/24 mid 60's Le Mans, to mount on Mini-Z chassis.)

My thought for the above is to be a fair bit perverse... Cut out windows in .030, insert .007, cover with cling film, pack in casting sand, heat and vacuum.
Thus you would get the .007 to "step out" and fill the window frames of the (.030) body.
No, I haven't done it yet. No idea when I'll get around to do it.

Which reminds me, is that Czech still around?
I think his name is Milan, making marvellous vacuum bodies, and chassis to go with them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (abbo @ 20 Mar 2012, 21:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did try a Porsche a good few years back and gave up on it because it was wonky (the off-side back end was higher than the near side back end). I've done a few F1 over the years - and found them not too bad (I'm not a very good scratch builder though), but as mentioned, they are cheap enough for you to buy 2 or 3 in case you muck one up.

The three cars pictured above have come out superb! The Maserati and Fergi look as if they could have been produced by GTM!

ABBO

agreed , the old f1's do look superb but to be honest they dont really "float my boat". road/rally saloons are more my thing hence i was looking for picturess of completed ones to see wether it was worth me having a crack at one , or three!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Please bear in mind that Milan is a Slovak, not a Czech.

/Holger

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
ive worked with the plasticard saloons, you loose a bit of detail over the 7 thou lexans but there easier to work with. i,ve got a list of 11 grp 5 cars i,ll be getting eventually, john

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (stoner @ 11 Apr 2012, 08:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ive worked with the plasticard saloons, you loose a bit of detail over the 7 thou lexans but there easier to work with. i,ve got a list of 11 grp 5 cars i,ll be getting eventually, john

any pics of completed cars before i start drawing up a wish list?

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 11 Apr 2012, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>any pics of completed cars before i start drawing up a wish list?

Just some raw bodies. But they show what to expect. In the background a body from a Monogram kit as a comparison.

Do not forget - all bodies are 64 mm wide and lowered compared to the original 1/32nd dimensions. But isn´t that what we want - lower and wider ?

A problem could be the wheelarches because they are designed for the much smaller diameter of the Euro - or ISRA - wheels.

Regards,

Roland

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Charlie Fitzpatrick has been producing his range of glassfibre and vacform bodyshells for about 50 years and they offer great value for money and a good degree of accuracy. They are strong and lightweight and look very good just painted but with a little extra work and detailing they are the rival of any commercially produced bodyshell.

For retro subjects in particular they are usually true to scale, here are a few I've built as examples.

Auto Union Streamliner, 1938 French Grand Prix - scratchbuilt chassis

1968 Honda RA301 V12 - scratchbuilt chassis

1966 Lola T70 - 1960s Riko chassis

McLaren M8A converted to 8B - scratchbuilt chassis built for the second Pendle Slot Convention about 5 years ago

Maserati 250F V12 - scratchbuilt pin guide chassis built for the first Pendle Slot Convention 6 years ago

BRM P83 H16 on 1960s Airfix Clubman chassis

Lotus 72 on scratchbuilt chassis

Mercedes Benz 300SLR on scratchbuilt chassis built for the very first Wolverhampton Earylbirds

Ferrari 312 on 1960s Airfix Clubman chassis

McLaren M7A on Scratchbuilt chassis built for the second Pendle Slot Convention about 5 years ago

BRM P261 on scratchbuilt chassis for the 2011 Montana Proxy Series

Lotus 49B on scratchbuilt chassis

Lotus 49 on 1960s Airfix Clubman chassis

David

1 - 20 of 31 Posts