Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-made scenery stuff made for modeling is great, but by using items not made for that purpose can often save you a huge amount of money. I have found many great ideas searching through the forum, but I thought it would be nice to have all these tips in one exciting local.

I'll start with a few examples I have found...

-Sunflower stalks for trees
-An electric flyswatter converted to a static grass tool
-Blue or Pink foam for landscaping

I am just a beginner, so I know that the scenery gods out there must have many, many more.

Looking forward to reading your ideas.

Heath

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
loads of "how to's" for scenery, but one of my favorites was from a guy who put spectator figures onto the bed of a scanner.
He then printed them onto matt paper, with part of the created shadow, and when cut out glued them onto foam board. Ideal for the furthest parts of your circuit, or inside at the windows of buildings.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
...Scratchbuild everything you can! It is a very great thing to use things of daily live (coffeestirrers, sandingpaper, cardboard...) or even waste for modelling. My gasstation and green shed both were build from waste and rests! They saved a lot of money that was completely used for new cars
!
Maybe I am a little bit freaky, but I tend to look for all things if they might be used in 1:32 even when I am out for a walk in the forests...

Regards Jens

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Wow Jens in what forest did you find those cars

Great diorama.

Heath,

Pictures say more then a thousand words

i lost you on the blue and pink foam.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Cheap is good. The money saved can usually go to better things. Most of my track was done on the cheap, including the table.

FRocks from recycled upholstery foam. They started their life as sofa cushions.

Dirt from decomposed sandstone picked up by the roadside. Or visit your local garden supply store and grab some sand, rock dust or vermiculite. If you're lucky they won't charge you for the tiny amounts.

Water from cheap satin varnish. Cost me about AUD11 for a litre. But there are also other options including PVA glue.

Long grass from sisal string dyed with acrylic paints. AUD2 will get you enough to do probably 10 or 20 tracks.

Pillars of the fence are floristry foam. I've also used it for carving rock walls and brush coated in plasterer's joint compound.
The iron insert uprights are toothpicks and the horizontals are cardboard.
Base coating is plaster mixed with sand and vermiculite.

Wall is again floristry foam. The dirt is dirt from the garden sieved. Sisal for long grass. All on a Ninco crystal case.

Plenty of cheap options out there. It takes only a little imagination to find them.

Embs

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Embs,

Quick question, What have you used the Vermiculite for ? Have you used Australian Vermiculite (which is a reddish/pinkish colour) or the South African Vermiculite (which is a golden/brownish colour)?. I worked with Vermiculite and Perlite for 15 years and have seen people use these products for many applications, mainly in the Nursery sector for water holding and soil aeration. We used to produce a few different particle sizes of Perlite from 10-20mm down to 2mm and sold these as 100L bags which were quite large (roughly 1m tall, 500mm wide and about 200mm deep. The larger particle bags (P500) would weigh around 8kg while the smallest particled bags (P200) we could make to weigh as low as 2kg. We used to make light weight concrete blocks using only Perlite, cement and water but I was hoping to make light weight plaster to keep any added weight to my wheeled slot car table down to a minimum.

Matt

·
6,455 Posts
I've got mainly the pink stuff Matt. Just sifted the fine dust and graded it a bit. Mixed with plaster it makes a good dirt road type base (as in first pic above). Sponged back to show the grain details.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (JaakBeentjes @ 17 Sep 2012, 13:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Heath,

Pictures say more then a thousand words

i lost you on the blue and pink foam.

Good point... here is a pic of the sunflower stalks. This is not my layout, though I wish it were. My layout is still in the routing phase, so there is nothing to show yet.

Looks fantastic.

Here is a link to a tutorial about the static grass applicator. http://amodelrailway.blogspot.com/2012/03/...tor-health.html

Here is a video tutorial series using extruded foam that you can purchase from a hardware store [usually pink or blue in color]. This is not styrofoam, as styrofoam will not sculpt but break into little balls.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/D1D4KBB_GC4?rel=0

These are some great tips.

Ember, I am loving the use of sisal string. That will save me a fortune on buying grass. Anyone have any other good cheap tree tricks out there?

Heath

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Tire changing machine.

Ingredients:
Styrofoam
Toothpick
Washer ring
Rivet
Wood glue
Tools:
Sharp knife
sanding Paper

and with some paint...

Somebody had offered to make resin copies of it and send me the original back and a resin copy,
i should have accepted that offer.

·
Ian
99 Posts
QUOTE (Flag Slot Racer @ 18 Sep 2012, 17:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good point... here is a pic of the sunflower stalks. This is not my layout, though I wish it were. My layout is still in the routing phase, so there is nothing to show yet.

Looks fantastic.

Sorry Heath,
those particular trees are not made out of sunflower stalks though it's a brilliant idea, however they are "GT40"s trees which he made very economically, he made them out of styro foam the texture in the trunk is created using a saw and dragging it along to create that ruged look. Here are some I made of foam but not using the saw to get that textured effect.

The branches themselves are made with coffee stirrers and then the green is string, untwisted dropped on to pva glue and sprayed green.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Ian B @ 18 Sep 2012, 13:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry Heath,
those particular trees are not made out of sunflower stalks though it's a brilliant idea, however they are "GT40"s trees which he made very economically, he made them out of styro foam the texture in the trunk is created using a saw and dragging it along to create that ruged look. Here are some I made of foam but not using the saw to get that textured effect.

They are GT40's trees, but I think they are sunflower stalks, in the thread he linked to this tutorial... http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27364

I think yours look excellent as well.

Heath

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Ian B @ 18 Sep 2012, 13:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry Heath,
My apologies, after looking closer at the thread, you are correct. It's foam for the trees. Sorry for the confusion.

Heath

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
6,455 Posts
If, I may... Yes, the stalks are how it began. But, Phil got frustrated with having to drill holes for the branchlets and then decided to give the foam a whirl. The main thing is that it made tree production much easier because the branches could simply be push fitted and glued in place.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 18 Sep 2012, 14:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If, I may... Yes, the stalks are how it began. But, Phil got frustrated with having to drill holes for the branchlets and then decided to give the foam a whirl. The main thing is that it made tree production much easier because the branches could simply be push fitted and glued in place.

Thanks for clearing that up Ember.

Heath

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any polystyrene from packing electrical goods etc can be used for rocks, track supports etc.
Water - Acrylic varnish, PVA glue.
Fencing - coffee stirers.
Any signage (road signs\track signs) - created on your own computer and printed by yourself or at a local library
Board for layouts - B&Q do offcuts for £1 to £5 - i did my whole board from offcuts for about £6 (for bracing I used cheap decking 2" x 3" x 8' long planks £2.50)
Figures - childrens farm sets\garage sets 1:32 scale OR eBay figures 1:32\G scale from china (VERY cheap)
Stone walling - Ceiling tiles edges cut to desired height.
Rocks - pebbles from garden. (sprayed and painted if you want the same colour throughout the scene)

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
my tire balancer.....
first the ingredients:
Styrofoam
Ribbed
wheel with rim
Deodorant cap [or something similar]
and unlike the first picture shows, metal wire but a clip from a pen [depicted in photo NR,5]
and a fly screen window sill montage piece [or something similar]
wood glue-paint
and tools:
sharp knife
paintbrush
vice to bend pen clip

stage 1 cut the deodorant cap till the shape depicted below..

stage 2 cut the fly screen.blablabla.. to the right size like depicted below.

stage 3 cut a square cube of Styrofoam to the right size and weight it down on the bottom so that when you attach the wheel it does not fall on its side [note the weight i used is wheel balancing weight

stage 4 paint the individual pieces.

stage 5 assemble and glue it together,i used the rivet to stick it in the rim and push it in the foam,
i glued after folding it proper the clip from the pen to the deodorant cap [inside] and pushed the other end in the back of the foam,
and i glued the plastic 'display' thing to the back of the Styrofoam and viola...

the 2 together......

my excuse for the fussy pictures camera was not working along

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Engine Diagnostic machine [not the newest small model] it is based on one we use to have at the Mercedes garage.

Ingredients:
Styrofoam
cocktail prickers
blue paint [Hornby kit paint]
grey paint [Tamiya paint]
and a print out of this:
actual size i used

Tools:
knife
color printer
paintbrush [2]

and this is the result......