SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share with you a test bench type rolling road I've made from slot car stuff I had laying around.
Took me about 20 minutes to make and is quite easy and really useful for running in cars, motors and general testing.

I has a hornby train controller that I got from a boot sale for £2 (ref R965 - loads on ebay for around a fiver) and used that as a way of getting varible power from a standard scalextric power supply which just plugs into the train controller.

Then basically cut holes a ninco box lid, one for the guide to sit in and a large one for the back wheels to sit in so they can spin with out fouling the sides of the whole.
Then stuck a couple of off-cuts of copper tape either side of the guide slot and soldered the output wires to the copper tape. It doesn't matter which way round as the train controller is also reversible!

Here are the pics, which explain it better than me!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok not quite a rolling road but it does let you run cars etc while doing other stuff.

It would be easy to add a set or a single roller for the rear wheels to run on, either with a wooden dowel or similar through the case or mounted on flanged bearings or thinking aloud here a piece of 3/32 rod with all those old knackered wheels and worn tyres on.

For a more tech version an ampmeter and volt meter could be wired easily, you could sit the whole lot on a set od digital scales to compare car weights while running motors (but why would you want to!) but all I needed was a quick simple way to run in those patchy scx motors!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts