SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I am seriously thinking about switching from PB PRO/Simple H to APB. Main reason is that I have the feeling I am missing out on the good stuff (mainly software related) If I stick with PB Pro. And my birthday is coming up, so a good oppurtunity for a nice present. It is not an easy decision because I will definitely miss the fabulous RichG lap display. I hope one day I can use It with APB. Besides that I have had, and still have fantastic race nights with the Pb Pro. If I switch over, I want to do It good. Since I didn't have an APB I have missed a lot of info about It, but I think It will come down to this;

1) obviously, a C7042 APB

2) I know It does not have a power supply in the package. I do have 1 spare 4 car PB power supply, which I think is the same. In that case I will need a second, I am not planning to do the power upgrade at first. But, I also have a 10 Amp regulated supply. Can I connect that to the APB ?

3) A cable between APB and PC. (USB) I now have a serial cable to the C7030.

4) A firmware update. How do I get It ?

5) I have the SCP-d controller, but I have read that It doesn't work on the APB without adjustment. What do I need, and how to get It ?

6) An update of SSDC, I am still somewhere in the version 4.xx

7) I also think I need a more powerfull PC, I now have an old pentium 3.

8) I have my PB separated from the track. I'd like to do that with the APB too. Is It straight forward to do ?

I am not planning wireless controllers yet.

Did I miss anything ? Thank you.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Hi Minardi - your list looks pretty complete. I'll answer what I can:
- I use a 3rd party bench supply for my APB. It works a treat. You just need to find the correct plugs for the APB end. Make sure that you connect up both power sockets to get 2 lane analog.
- The cable from the APB to the PC can be sourced from either Riko or RichG. The full details are for both are on the SSDC web site.
- The firmware update to v1.06 is also available on the SSDC website. All the software you need (+ instructions) are there. It will take 2 minutes, once you have your cable.
- Your pentium 3 may still work. Don't rush into changing it, although if you want wireless throttles in the future, the Windows 7 bluetooth stack has proven to be nice and reliable.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dont forget pit pro also for the complete racing experience.

Fireware update is free from SSDC website but you will need the new USB lead first.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys.

I did not mention Pit pro because I already have It, with an USB cable.
Good news on the power supply, firmware and pentium 3 !

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
and nice one on the update.i did my swap after seeing what the apb could do at gaydon last year.

The things the apb can do over and above what pbpro can offer mwant it was time to say goodbye to the old girl.

More advancements planned as well.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Running SSDC you could consider a dual display. I use my laptop which allows me to extend my desktop onto an external monitor without any extra hardware. It even allows this when the screen resolutions are different.

What that means is that I put the race management and configuration windows on the laptop display and put the Leaderboard window onto a 24" PC monitor which stands at the edge of the track. All 6 drivers are able to look at the large screen during the race and see the start lights, their race position and fuel gauge clearly. I also have PitPro which reports fuel levels and flashes low fuel warnings.

The big screen makes it really easy for drivers to understand the race status and work out their best fuel strategy (avoiding queues in the Pit Lane).

If you don't have dual monitor capability then you will need another graphics card and monitor. Monitors are really cheap on Ebuyer (Ebuyer NOT Ebay) and as I have been buying from them for over 10 years they can be trusted. Or you could use a TV if it has a suitable PC input socket. One day I will splash out on a 37" TV to display the leaderboard.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am definitely going the APB-route within a few weeks. I am uncertain about one thing, my SCP-01d. Can someone tell me what to do, I know It doesn't work as It is now, but what to do ? Thanks.

The dual monitor is a good idea. I'd prefer a very small one as second display.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Splitting the track is the same as with PB-Pro so quite easy.
Your Slot.it throttle will need the new digital module that they have developed for the C7042
Think about a projector if you can, we use one at the club and it is much easier to glance at a huge screen than to look down and focus on a monitor.

If you had SH then be prepared for less power. The C7042 is good (get the power mod done ASAP - its virtually free) but SH was exceptional. Thinking about it its a shame that the C7042 is so good, if it were not we would all be putting our current SH boards retrofitted into the C7042, but it just isn't worth it.

Dont throw your PB-Pro cable - if its a USB one then it is still good for Pit-Pro as a spare.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Riko for your answers. Hmm, I wonder If Slot It will compensate, I will try anyway. At the time I bought the SCP01, the 7042 was in the picture, but nothing more than that.
Yes, I had SH. Thinking about It, I must be quite a **** to change from PB ProSH to APB...I mean, no lap display, less power, costs for cables and software, new digital cartridge...And still want want want.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yeah, but as I said the SH mod allowed exceptional levels of power - remember surge was rated at 45 Amps! At our local club we have 2 Amps per driver and that is more than sufficient. With the power mod you are going to be able to run at levels equivalent to a club and surge will allow fairly meaty spikes above that as the shutdown time before the current trip activates is a couple of seconds which is a very long time.

So my assertion is that the C7042 is too good from a power perspective, too good to warrant splicing in an SH board (actually it would need to be two to have the same functionality). So Brembo I woud suggest that you are wrong to think that defecting is the wrong thing to do for power reasons.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Did I not see you running about 20-30 cars around your track Riko? On youtube somewhere... seems like plenty enough power for 6 cars! Bear in mind that too much power, and you are likely to blow the SSD chip first!

·
Registered
251 Posts
There you go see, too little imformation is a dangerous thing - LOL
Now that it has been explained with some numbers I can appreciate lack of power is not an issue.
Many thanks Riko
Regards
brembo

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi Minardi,

I got some of these to power up my APB. Works 100%. Nice and tidy. Banana plugs for my regulated PSU on the other end of the cable.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 9 Jan 2012, 16:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did I not see you running about 20-30 cars around your track Riko? On youtube somewhere... seems like plenty enough power for 6 cars! Bear in mind that too much power, and you are likely to blow the SSD chip first!

What this little one?

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Just to be clear, that video is of the power available AFTER one performs Riko's excellent high power mod. It's linked in the C7042 instructional thread sticky post and includes: cutting a trace on the printed circuit board, soldering a new wire or two, and soldering on a couple new resistors piggy-backed onto the originals. As he mentioned, it's a 2 of 10 skill level mod. If you switch to the APB and find that its stock power is not sufficient, do the mod.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
That was the circuit layout that we had at Gaydon designed by Andy Wallace. I would suggest as it is virtually free if he is coming from PB-ProSH then the mod is something he should start with. I know stock is OK, but more grunt and the ability to wind the wick up and down should be part of his wish list at a guess.

Yes Andy you remembered well, 26 cars, stock motors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks Minardi. your checklist is helping me decide whether to stay with PB pro- sh or move to the apb. Am I right in thinking that the power upgrade to the apb means the choice of analogue is cut. I've also got the slot.it controllers and the cartridge lupgrade is going to be about $70:00 for each. It's making me think twice.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts