SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to set up a charity event for Children in need 2011.

I have had good advice and am looking at three possibilities.

Option 1 is to run local club events, all to be held at the same time, through the UK on Friday 18th November. I hope this would be positively received by club members as everyone could take part, although this may be hard to generate public interest.

Option 2 is to run one single major public event at a major venue. One good suggestion was to run at the National motor sports show, Ricoh arena, Coventry on 5th/6th November. This should generate significant public interest but may isolate some more remote clubs and members.

Option 3 is to do both.

What I need to know from as many people as possible is your views and ideas. Don't worry if you think your point is insignificant. It is not. Where we go from here will be largely based on what you have to say.

Please give me your feedback.

Jim Washington

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

Please explain what sort of event you are looking at setting up. Different people are attracted to different aspects of the hobby: racing, collecting, analogue, digital, classic modern... etc. Not easy to have one event that pleases every taste unless it is a multi-discipline event with something to interest everyone like the Gaydon event held earlier this year.

SlotForum has been involved in Children in need projects before and I'm sure we can help to develop, promote and report on your event.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Jim,
Welcome to the forum, as Doug has already said we'll need slightly more on the explanation side of things.

On the major arena idea:
  • What kind of track were you planning on?
  • How many lanes?
  • Probably the biggest question of all what kind of cars?
There are only a few people able to supply a competition sized track (Gaydon sized) do you have any of them onboard? If that's the sort of thing you were planning.

For the competitors these things don't come cheap, they also have hotels etc to plan in advance, I think it's a great idea however in my mind you'd be better off planning for something in 2012 as most clubs (or at least those that have members willing to travel) they'll already be fully committed for this year, I know myself I'm already compiling next years diary (but don't tell the wife!)

I wish you luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Doug,

My favourite would be for multi- disciplined race events on digital circuits. We have enough equipment to run 3 tracks totalling about 200ft using 6 cars on each track. We ran something along these lines at our local club with three rounds including time trial, pursuit and F1 race formats rotating through the circuits/ formats. Based on an accumulating points system, you could easily run multiple groups throughout the day with the group winners going through to semi-final and grand final. I'm open minded though as there may have been an offer of a multi-lane analogue circuit supplied for this event, which could give a bit of variety.
This could appeal to the more serious competitive racers but not neccesarily joe public. I really liked the idea someone came up that they called the Stig event. Essentially this is a time trial but in a multi-car race format, with the fastest times heading the leaderboard. If they want to qualify on the leaderboard then racing would be on a pay to play basis.
Cars would depend on whether the event is directed more towards a public attraction as opposed to enthusiasts. My experience is that the general public like to crash, so in this event, would lean more towards more robust models rather than need for speed.
I take your point fully on time scales, I may well have left this far to late for this year. Longer term, would love to arrange an annual Children in need Challenge for enthusiasts that is recognised an everyones calender. Have a vision of racing multiple world renowned circuits over a weekend with individual, team and club competitions for multiple age groups. None the less, would love to hear other views to see if this is a viable option in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
We are having a Children in Need night at Farnham on Friday, November 18th. It will be raising funds for the charity plus two other local groups for children and teenagers with special educational needs and disabilities.

Originally it was planned to be a 24 Hour race but this has not proven possible. Revised plans will be announced shortly.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Jim,
As you have mentioned digital circuits you have thrown this to a select audience, which would have to happen at some stage no matter what genre you chose to go with. Unfortunately there are very few (relatively speaking) Digital clubs in the country, even though there is a very strong digital contingent on this forum. Trying to get them all in one place at one time would be a major challenge. I can only think of four or five Clubs, which is quite odd really since the whole concept of digital allows for multiple drivers on just two lanes.

So consequently I'd recommend you initial idea Option 1 is to run local club events, all to be held at the same time.

Trying to gain public interest in slotcars at a national level is very difficult indeed just look at the events of recent years Brooklands, Donington and Gaydon these tried to cover all aspects of the slotcar hobby and had the support of major businesses and manufacturers. (Including BBC TV Coverage for Brooklands1).

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone,

Forgive me for being really thick or dense, I'm really puzzled as to why digital slot car racing is not popular, even in slot car circles!!!
To me, when we was looking at setting up our local community project, digital seemed a very advanced version of slot car racing as we have always known it. Becuase it is more complex than analogue I would have thought most people would find it more challenging, so I'm puzzled as to why most slot car clubs still seem to prefer analogue systems. I also find it astounding that so few members of the public know little or nothing of digital, it's almost as if (in the UK at least) it simply hasn't been marketed and promoted well at all!!!
I'd love to know more as why so many people prefer analogue as this may help me to find the way forward.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts