1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chinese vacform device

_vacform01.jpg

Hi all!

Over the years I have had many slotcar build projects and I have always struggled with interiors and windshields. For windshield I developed a technique where I press a heated film into form by hand. This method requires some practise and produces somewhat uneven results. Interiors are impossible to manufacture with this method.

_vacform02.jpg

So a proper vacform device was needed. I had always tried to find a vacform device from eBay and AliExpress with no luck. Until one day when I was searching a collet for my dental drill (much better than Dremel) I came across a dental vacforming device. Picture below is from eBay but my machine was ordered from AliExpress.

_vacform03.jpg

After couple of weeks wait the device arrived from China. This is the most peculiar looking machine I have ever owned. Production quality is not the best, surfaces are a bit rough, but overall machine looks convincing.

_vacform04.jpg

Heater element is at the top part of the machine, I guess heating element is about 1000W.

_vacform05.jpg

In the middle of the machine is a frame for vacforming material.Notice that the heating element can be turned aside. Hand lever on the right hand side of the machine lifts and lowers the frame either for heating or forming. Lever up lowers the frame to vacforming position. Practical vacforming area is about 90mm x 90mm (3.54" x 3.54"). Sufficient for 1:32 interiors and windshields.

_vacform06.jpg

Lever down lifts the frame to heating position.

_vacform07.jpg

At the bottom of the device there is two buttons. "MODEL" starts the vacuum pump and "HEAT" turns on the heating element.

_vacform08.jpg

Chinese vacforming device in all of its glory:

_vacform09.jpg

Lets test the device. For vacforming you first need a plug, in other words the form which you want to create. At the picture below I am using Lada 1200 resin interior.

_vacform10.jpg

Heating element is turned out of way, frame is lifted to top position and vacuum forming plastic film is inserted to the frame. I am using white PVC film with 0,7mm (0.028") thickness. I am choosing thicker film for interior becouse thicker film has more material to stretch and is less likely to tear during forming. The frame houses 125mm x 125mm (4.9" x 4.9") square piece of the vacforming plastic.

_vacform11.jpg

Heating element is turned on top of the frame and heating is turned on.

_vacform12.jpg

As the plastic begins to sag it is ready for forming.

_vacform13.jpg

The heating is turned off, the vacuum is turned on and the frame is lowered for forming position. Heated plastic forms covering the plug.

_vacform14.jpg

Formed plastic is removed from the frame and excess plastic is trimmed to reveal in this case Lada 1200 interior.

_vacform15.jpg

I am quite happy with this vacform device so far. It seems to be producing good enough results. With this machine my car projects will become much easier.

_vacform16.jpg

There is still some testing to be made for the plugs. Which material is best for plugs. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,866 Posts
I'd seen these and wondered how good they'd be.

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Glad to see it Julius.
Mine is very similar in style to yours.
I find i can make bucks or plugs out of clay for many things and it only takes seconds and you have that elusive part.
Nice post sir.
Bob

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
To reduce the webbing between the seats ....... use a very hot, small metal metal spatula and press the webbing down just as it is forming; don't forget to insulate the bit you hold. You could also try heating the sheet material until it is almost touching the item to be moulded.

Vehicle Car Hood Wheel Wood

It goes without saying that there is a high risk of burning yourself with this type of gear, in several ways ........
unsure.png

Attachments

Reactions: dvd3500

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,866 Posts
I've seen a hot air gun used from above to reduce webbing.

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Thats the one i have Kevin. I can almost make a 32 scale Mini in it.
Almost.
I bet if done in 2 parts like the old vacforum models it could be done.
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts