SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi all,
new to this first chipping attempt. Everything went really well until I get to putting the chip wires (Grn Yel) into the new blade guide.

It looks to me the chip flying leads are set up for the round quick change guides not the guides that are actually shipped with the chip?
Chip came with instructions, and 4 spare (basic) guides.
The grn/Yel wires have a ferrite bead and cap and end in bent pieces of tin.
But I cant see how the bent tin goes into this type of guide.
The guide itself fits in perfect and will work fine(old guide with the push in pins was broken).

Instructions show a quick start guide in use,(pic below) but its shipped with the ones imaged above.

The chip leads have the metal as per this image

I fiddled a bit and just cant see to get a reasonable solution.
I dont think the C8312 will work on this car

There messin with my mind right!!!

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
Time to break out the soldering iron again.
You'll have to cut the feet off, or desolder them, then solder the ferrite man to the guide poles inside the car. Fortunately, they don't (usually) move, so it should be fine like that.
You're right, though, the feet are for the round guides.
It's not hard, and I'm sure you'll get it in one.
I have a pile of little feet for this reason. Useful to keep, though, as sometimes I get a car with messed up ones, or I mess them up in the process of working on them, and need replacements.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"guide poles inside the car"
there are no guide poles.

Ill need to take some photos I guess.
Im going to have a look at the other cars a bit more see if I can work somit out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think these ones would have been the perfect replacement

I have a packet of C8329. The pivot post is bigger. I could drill the chassis hole a little bigger so as to insert it, there is just enough meat to do so . That would allow me to use standard round guide blades from then on out. But I think it might also add thickness,will have to do some measurements.

It still baffles me which cars/braid system use the ones that came with the chip tho.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right Iv'e managed to use the C8329.
As above I drilled the pivot hole out a little. The guide pivot post now fits in there and the wires attached as normal. The guide plate did semi cover the chassi mounting screw but that was easily fixed.
Ill try it out tomoz and see if it works.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Mark,
There is an index of cars that have been chipped here. Plus, there is an ongoing list of others that can be found here, but this one will require an lot more searching as it is randomly added to.

I suspect that the "guide poles inside the car" refer to the metal connector that pass through the floorpan that the wires from the motor attach to and make connection to the braids underneath. If you can, a photograph can help us to give you a faster and more accurate explanation of how to tackle a problem.

All the best - Greg

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
Sorry for being vague, Mark. Greg nailed it with his description of what I meant.
The included guides are meant for older Scalextric cars, but I'm not sure which years they apply to. They're meant to replace blue guides that often came on cars, which would not count laps properly on the SSD bases that use a guide detector as well as the ID detector.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GregK, I did look thu that database and could not find the GTO. Problem was it looked incredablily simple. Everything went together fine till I got to the brush/pin connection. This was the only part I hadnt thought thru as Id assumed the two would match.I would have thrown up some photos but I noticed the forum was one of those that I cant upload direct? and I just couldnt be bothered to do the 3rd party thing at the mo.

Thanks MrFlippant for the history that makes sense now. I kept thinking there must have been an intermeadiate stage between the old and the new. Never heard of these blue guides so that must have been it.

I dont think I will use them(the ones issued with chip) the other cars I have to retrofit are similar to the Ferrari and will take well to the round guides.

2x Lancia ref 4073 Jagua XJ8 and a BMW ref4063 But I need some more bits

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Righto first test and electrically its working fine. Went the right direction, didnt loose ID I did about 20 laps but I was having massive spinning problems(not a clearance problem). Me thinks the tyres are shot.(Half expected) Even a gentle squeeze on a straight promotes wheel spin.(Yes no magnets on this old girl) But I dont recall it being that bad, this was my fav car of old .

Still I'll have to chalk that up as a success on chipping at least.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yepski, just proved that, I ground em down a tad and gaind about a 1sec per lap, Still not brilliant But Im pretty convinced its the tryes. We only have a 5.5 sec track so a sec is significant diff.

Also outa quriosity I pulled the mag from a new car and time wise the ferrari was only 1.5 sec behind it(consistanly over many laps). Couldnt see a simple way of putting a mag on the Ferrari (not that Id really want too anyway). New tyres and she'll be back to her old self

BTW is it right the F1 chip does not support break and headlights while the Saloon chip with a few extra components does? I saw in my readings a saloon with couple of res and a diode. But I havent come across similar with the F1.

As my mini(italianjob) is lighted Id like to keep it like that (proper breakes n such.) fitting a saloon tho aint gonna be easy. I have seen the mini in the db with the F1 but a saloon chip is going to be a real challenge.

But then so are the lancias.Damn mounting post right where the LED needs to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts