SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Scalextric Subaru police car which I want to chip. From what I've found on the net so far, they seem to be virtually impossible to chip. Has anyone on here managed to do one? I'd love to know how!

Thanks

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi and welcome migwig,

There is an extensive index and database of lots of cars of all types and makes in the Scalextric Sport Digital section: here is a link to one for a Scooby that might be of some help.

If this doesn't help just give a shout.

All the best - Greg

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I've got two to do and one that has already been done.

I thought I would just copy the one that has already been chipped but it looks very tricky and I've decided to get someone else to do it.

I think I need soldering lessons!

·
Registered
12 Posts
SS67 -
I had a friend of mine who had his chipped, and then we had to replace the thing after a younger racer managed to smash it off the track, the tables we were racing on, and then onto a concrete floor (we were racing outside under a marquee). No more police! Windscreen was smashed in half, and falling to pieces with the amount of ramming. (Although I will point out that younger racer of our group no longer rams after that incident)

anyway, new Police Suby, chipped, but getting the lights & sounder to work seemed problematic till we played around a bit and put a dc bridge in front of the effects circuit and attached the AC points of the bridge to the motor. The only problem we had recently is when the yellow chip wire came away from the pickup, but she's still going strong.

The only thing I can say from memory from having done the first one, that you shouldn't do is wire the effects up to the pickup as the first one did. It blew the effects board fuse. I was then asked to bypass the fuse at which point i knew permanent damage could be done here, and after the next test run that was the end of that board.

hope that helps with your chipping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have chipped the Scalextric Subaru police car but the lights and siren come on sporadically ( was going to say intermittently
which it what is needed of course ) so I have done something wrong somewhere, just cant find where.
I know bugger all about electronics and got lost on this section of you post jaydrive
:- dc bridge in front of the effects circuit and attached the AC points of the bridge to the motor.
I myself have only been able to chip cars from viewing other members pictures of the process with clear instructions and in layman's terms. I'm surprised nobody has done a post on this Subaru yet, usually people are up for the challenge or at least the bragging rights. If anyone reading this already has one correctly chipped PLEASE PLEASE post some pics of the internals and what goes where.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for those pics SS.
I put my chip upright behind the rear axle against the screw posts at a slight angle, just about fits in there. I shall have another attempt at wiring this correctly when time permits. I'm a dab hand at soldering but as I said, know bugger all about electronics. "helping hands" are great for holding wires together that have to be soldered, and they are pretty cheap on ebay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics SS67. Looks busy in there! As I'm a chipping virgin I think I'm going to have a go at some simpler cars first! DB5 - If you've got any pics of mounting behind the axle that would be great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hope these help, I put a small on/off switch in also so I could turn the siren off but keep the lights on, which fitted in a vacant magnet slot just nicely ( bottom left slot ) SS's solution would be the easier option though for chip placement, saves extending any wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does look smart! Is that hot-glue you've used to secure the chip in place?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes its hot glue, I think that's what the majority of people use with the chips as you can reheat the glue to remove it if need be. I thought my wiring looked too busy after seeing the pics SS posted, but as you said earlier, you might want to try a simpler car to chip first. Good luck

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Thinking some more about this one ............. I would be tempted to move the sound-box inside the car as it is super-resistant. This would then give you plenty of room to fit the chip in the proper slots and you wouldn't have to change any of it's wiring.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Simon,

I was thinking about putting it inside the cockpit as the windows are blacked out. In fact, do you really need the cockpit at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (DB5 @ 9 Mar 2012, 03:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have chipped the Scalextric Subaru police car but the lights and siren come on sporadically ( was going to say intermittently
which it what is needed of course ) so I have done something wrong somewhere, just cant find where.
I know bugger all about electronics and got lost on this section of you post jaydrive
:- dc bridge in front of the effects circuit and attached the AC points of the bridge to the motor.
I myself have only been able to chip cars from viewing other members pictures of the process with clear instructions and in layman's terms. I'm surprised nobody has done a post on this Subaru yet, usually people are up for the challenge or at least the bragging rights. If anyone reading this already has one correctly chipped PLEASE PLEASE post some pics of the internals and what goes where.

sorry for delay in response... been a bad week just gone past.
I'll drop you a quick diagram when I can.

A DC Bridge turns the AC of the digital track rails (AC = being the Alternating Current / Power) into DC (Direct Current) which doesn't change. It means power can only go in one way, and out the other. Each bridge has 2 AC points - these get attached to the motor. The two points left are positive and negative. You wire these to the effects for the police suby. So whenever you throttle up, the sounder & lights power up.

I dread to think how I'm going to get this done on my friends Police Suby car once we change it to InCar Pro.

But I would suggest following the other guys for now...

·
Registered
203 Posts
This was the very first car I chipped when I got into Scalextric a few months ago now!, I managed to get the chip in the car and working fine, but I removed the sound speaker thing and put it under the circuit board in the cockpit, so I discarded the round plastic cover piece.

I could then fit the chip in the normal position in the slots provided, I also had to remove/cut a little bit of plastic from under where the bonnet is so the body would close up.

The car was a nightmare from day one, as the the wires that were already soldered to the lighting and siren system in the car constantly kept breaking apart from the solder joins when opening up the car!, the wire was very frail and easily broke. I just had to keep re-soldering the wires back together.

But sadly my son was driving the car for his first time had did some amazing flying jump and as the car landed back in the slot the lights and siren stopped working, I opened up the car to find NO loose wires and so was un-able to fix it again!.

I then sold the car as parts. : )

Never will I buy another of these cars, ever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had the same problem myself, 2 wires came off the circuit board and 1 came off the roof light, and believe me, I was being gentle with it. I remember thinking at the time, the wires were very Lightweight.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (DB5 @ 20 Mar 2012, 23:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had the same problem myself, 2 wires came off the circuit board and 1 came off the roof light, and believe me, I was being gentle with it. I remember thinking at the time, the wires were very Lightweight.

Yeh funny that because one of my roof light wires came off, if I remember correctly that was the first wire to break off!.

Also agree the wires are very brittle and don't take much bending before they break apart, especially around the solder joins and where the wire sleeving starts.

I was extremely disappointed but had no chance of a refund as I was told by the supplier that these cars are not meant to be chipped and once you open them up that instantly voids any warranty.

I can't stand stuff that is made like that, and for the price I paid too!, never again, lol.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
I think your dealer has got his Teflon coated jacket on again ......... Scalextric know that we chip cars and they can tell if what you've done has caused the wires to fall off. Nowhere on the Scaley website is there a note to say that this car can not be chipped and Scaley know full well that there are people out there who can and do chip cars that are "inadvisable".

Have you noticed that the nice soft silicone wire is no longer being used for the internals any more? It would appear to be that nasty PVC stuff, which if overheated goes brittle and breaks ...... just as you have found.

However, at the end of the day chill out and just replace the wire with a nice new decent piece and bathe in the glow that you have done a better job than the Scalextric assemblers in China ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts