SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi there,

What Revision of DPR chips are those? If it's the previous version and not a Revision "G" then you're going to have problems.
I'm still a bit annoyed that Scaley has not put out a recall for previous chips as they clearly had a design problem.
I contacted Scalextric via their website and got all my pre-Rev G chips replaced on the "not fit for purpose" principle.

The Rev G chips so far seems fine.

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
Or you could update the chip code, or ask someone to update it for you. Gmyers offers chip upgrades, which I believe include updating the code. With MIH's new code, all those DPR glitches will disappear.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
The new Rev G chips work great, full 6 hour races without a glitch.

If you can't see Rev G on the green board very time on the right have corner its probably a D4 chip so look for this.

Regards

Colin

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
yes the rev G chips are rock solid,but rev F chips can be made reliable,rikorocket did thousands of laps working out what was going wrong with rev F chips.

Most of the fly aways and change of id issues can be resolved by keeping the braids tidy and by painting a small section of track on the xlc intersection to eliminate shorts.

Or as already mentioned have the chips firmware updated to mih spec,i was told that all of the dpr cars at the gaydon track back in march were mih coded rev F ones and they ran perfect.

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
if you just want 100% reliability and no fancy lighting options i would go for the rev G dpr chip,if you want the extras that come with the mih code then i would opt to send of the rev f chips of to someone who could update the firmware as this new code sorts out the gremlins of the rev f chip....

You should not be experiencing any problems with the older solder in chips if you have both of the suppresors in place.

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
just had one of my dpr cars plugs pack up so rather than trying to source the replacement block i opted to use a solder in chip instead,

the car in question is a audi r10 tdi lmp,the chip<saloon> takes a lot more room up than the dpr and i had to cut the part out next to the driver to get the body back on.

So yes you can retro fit the older style chip but on some cars it may be best to use the F1 chip.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
thought it could be done .
most of my cars are saloons so no prob with room.
got plenty of blank trap doors and thought I could use the white plug inside !
could I unsolder the white connecter on chip and solder plug on?

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
The plug on a "analog" DPR door bridges the green/yellow with the red/black so that it works. You can use that plug, but you'll need to pull it off the door and desolder those bridges.

Also, although the solder-in chips are much more reliable, they aren't immune to ID loss and other issues. The most common issue is ID loss, usually after a crash. Maybe the crash was helped along by a control issue. In any case, for truly reliable performance, the code update is the way to go. I don't have any yet, but I do plan to get a set of 6 DPRs hardware (diodes and mosfets) upgraded, and firmware upgraded at some point in the near future. I'll use them for DPR based IROC sets, as well as cars used for slot parties. Knowing that I'll never have to re-program the cars or have them stop working due to an overheated chip, or run off at top speed, will be worth every penny I'll be paying for the upgrade.

Like Ade, I'm waiting for the dust to settle, because I won't be able to reprogram the chips myself, at least not very easily. Once the code is proven and updates stop, I'll send them to gmyers for the job.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 26 Aug 2011, 23:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Knowing that I'll never have to re-program the cars

So once ID'd is it locked into the new chip then ? and only changed once ID is redone ?

Also does this only work with the new PB or a PB Pro aswell ?

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
You continue to ID cars as you normally do but we the latest chip upgrades, dare I say, the ID will never be lost while driving the car.

I believe it only works using the latest APB and latest firmware (v1.06 I think).

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
No, it's the way the car stores it that has changed. As Zarko said, it won't lose ID from driving/playing. It does NOT need a special base code to program it. That's why some of the previous release notes mention programming on the different bases being fixed. The only thing you need new base code for is variable brakes, turning lights on and off, and other performance changes (torque control, for example). It will still be programmable by any base, still have no analog mode and therefore no more "DPR glitch" or "jump" issues when a car it put on the track, etc.
The benefits of new code are valuable even to those who use old powerbases.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (staglinger @ 26 Aug 2011, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
great will try tomorrow and let you know .
I notice that the wires on the dpr cars are in a differant order than the other cars will this matter?
ade

Hi
so is this a problem about the wires
regards ade

1 - 20 of 41 Posts