SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've all seen this

Although as a child I loved Ian Flemming's book more, and especially John Burningham's illustrations. If you haven't read it I really do urge you to search out a copy.

It was based on the racing car (actually cars) built by Count Louis Zborowski in the 1920s but it was Alan Mann who was building those red and gold Ford racing cars that was asked to build a car for the film. Production drawings were done by Ken Adam who was the production designer for the James Bond films and a bit of a hero of mine.

You may think the film was sappy, the child catcher was terrifying and the Corgi toy too quick to lose its tyres but I thought it was time to have a go at one of the most well known cars ever made.

My usual approach was to start with someone's 3D CAD model but I didn't think it was very well proportioned. I was lured by the appeal of the simple curves of the wings (no, not those wings) and thought I'd have a go myself. Time to start with the production drawings.

I also found a side photograph of one of the film cars which was a useful check against the drawings. I printed them all onto graph paper so I could take measurements from them and start putting it into the CAD. I wanted something easy first so started with the wheels. As Peter has shown with his wire wheels, there's quite a lot of detail here and getting them right gives any car a head start. The rears have 14 spokes and the front has 10 but there are also clamp bolts that hold the rims together and lots of detail around the hubs. The wheels were specially made for the film, hiding drum brakes inside them so it would look accurate for an Edwardian racer.

Once the wheels are done I created the assembly with them in the right place, adding the motor too so I'd have a sense of where things could go and any limitations in the body. Then I could start with the body shape, beginning with that very Bugatti-like radiator and making a swept blend to the circular shape at the back end of the bonnet. The wings are probably a bit too thick for scale but I've gone for what will survive on a slot car track.

The rear bodywork really was made by a boat builder and it's quite a tricky shape to make in a CAD system, especially if you're as unskilled as I am. This is where I am so far, it's probably been about 10-12 hours on the CAD and obviously plenty of time in front of that in the planning stage.

There's lots of time spent re-checking bits because you don't know what's wrong until more is finished. However I'm now at the stage where the outer body shape is quite well defined and I'm making the seat spaces. Then it's the rear wings and I can start on the detail bits like the windscreen, lights, horn and outside gear lever.

I've decided the car won't have suspension but it will need steering so I need to sort out how that will work and keep the guide as hidden as possible yet still link up with the steering arms. I'm toying with what to do with the wings but it's probably one more headache than I need so I might leave them off, especially as folding them in like the Corgi toy interferes with the motor position.

I'll update this slowly as things progress, take solace from the fact that Dick Van **** didn't attempt a British accent for this film, unlike for Mary Poppins.
It's a very large car as you can see.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I can only see the first picture ............. can anyone else see them??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now this has made my day! Fantastic effort Choc-ice, and I look forward to seeing the first physical shell soon.

One question while I pick my jaw up off the ground:
How do you intend to model Baron Bomburst's airship giving chase?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
nope...only the book cover image coming out of my interweb thing.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
There is something very odd going on with Photobucket, I attempted to use it last night to upload pics of the Oaklands Park meeting from last Sunday and pics couldn't be seen in Chrome, but could in an old build of Firefox I had on the same machine. This morning I can't see the photobucket images via Internet Explorer on my office PC.

Coop

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Blow me .............. I can see them now, again ............ what's occurring??

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Nice work Gareth. What's the wheelbase of this beast? I'm just finalising a chassis with working leaf spring suspension and steering but its fixed at 85mm. Any use to you?...

(note: wheels and tyres aren't the final items)

·
Circuit Owner
5,956 Posts
Another EPIC project Gareth!

I know the wings are a challenge and pointless on a slot track if you intend to pass anything

BUT how about clip-on wings for display purposes?

Just a thought

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 14 Oct 2016, 19:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another EPIC project Gareth!

I know the wings are a challenge and pointless on a slot track if you intend to pass anything

BUT how about clip-on wings for display purposes?

Just a thought

Clip on wings for concours!!!

I did get to see one of the original cars many, many years ago when it came to a local dealership, and yes, it was mahoosive!

Great car and a great project

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I like that chassis with leaf springs.
It would be great for pickups.

As to the wings, how about folding accordion wings?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a very impressive chassis, Marlon! Chitty's wheelbase is 127mm so a little longer than yours. I'm doing the same kind of front end as your chassis but I was thinking of only fixing the front of the leaf springs, letting the rear end move backwards in a guide. It would basically be like quarter elliptic leaf springs, but disguised to look like semi elliptic. How does yours work with both ends fixed?

I did a similar rear end to your chassis last year, letting the motor pivot and rotate at the same time. I adapted my normal motor pod but extended the front and thinned it down like a plastic living hinge. At the back I used the same Scalextric white bush but let it rise and fall within a slot on the chassis. It certainly functioned but didn't seem to make much difference to the way the car ran so I shelved the idea. However with stiffer springs like yours it might have more of an effect.

I'm coming around to Mr Modifier's idea of clip on wings if they're needed. People will be a problem so I'll probably just go with a driver which will be difficult enough. Right now I'm struggling with the buttoned leather upholstery!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just read this thread now Gareth, love it.
Chity was not part of my youth as I had no television but I have seen the car as it was at Brooklands while I was there.
It is a monster.
Enjoying to watch you developing those forms. I'm busy doing another Policar at the moment and I know the complexity of making or approximating forms that were never originally designed in CAD.

Keep up the good work
Andi

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I saw the original film car at the 1970 British Grand Prix, it did a demonstration lap, isn't this the car that Chris Evans now owns?

David

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.