Carrera Digital14.76%
Scalextric Digital1047.62%
SCX Digital523.81%
Other Digital523.81%

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This poll is for those who have actually tried Carrera, Scalextric,SCX digital track,control and cars. I included other in case there is something else out there (Davic).

There has been plenty of discussion RE: size of the guide, length of the crossover, under powered PSU.

So all things considered, those of you who have driven all 3 at one of the Toy Fairs, or tested elsewhere, whats you favorite?

Consider the controllers, track, power, cars...at this point in time, not how it might be. No conjecture, please.

If you have not tested, don't vote and bugger up the results. If you just tried one or two but observed others, or have an opinion, don't vote, but feel free to post.

Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
...you can't comper as the final feautures of Scalextric and Carrera have not been defined. Davic is the best from technical view - but with 2500€ upwards for the parts without track and cars unachieveable!
SCX is trash as it does not work properly!
Scalextric is nice because it's backward compatible - but we've to wait for further developement as they have only 3 prototypes running.
Carrera is based on the - IMHO - best track system, but limitation to 4 cars are a downside. Cars need upgrades with other tires and hardened axles, pitlane and single lane track are upsides of this system.
All existing systems are different to existing slotracing - you need different skills and more tactics to race - and it's fun! But investment in this technology is not justified at the moment! You've to add an other point to your poll - wait and see!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thomas makes an excellent point that comparisons right now would be unfair and misleading, particularly when so very few have used all FOUR systems and even more particularly so when there is so much very obvious bias from the word go. I would venture to suggest that of the SF members here, a MINSICULE proportion who attended the London Toy Fair have ever experienced Davic and therefore they are ineligible to vote. But you can be certain that some of them will do so, regardless.

Over and above that, as is very common, the poll has an inbuilt presumption that digital is preferable to analog - there should most definitely be an option for "None of the Above"

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with the above points, apart from DAVIC. However fantastic the system is, it is bespoke system, taylor made for each purchaser, very expensive and with a long waiting time between deciding to get it and having it built and delivered. I think many buyers will be able to exclude this for these reasons. If it ever gets commercially produced, it will probably be re-named and changed from its current incarnation.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In my humble opinion Davic sits outside of the reach of most because of costs and also it is not generaly available. I doubt I will ever get a go on Davic and I don`t suppose many here will either as opposed to the remaining main stream productions. I don`t think that makes me or anyone else ineligible to vote, in fact logic cries out who else will vote? Those that haven`t had a go at all? I still voted, course I did. Played with all three and despite the Scalex being the prototype I still felt it suited me better. Thomas, quite a harsh assesment of SCX. You obviously had a go like me?

I don`t believe there is an in built presumption that Digital is better and I state here that I don`t agree with that view. The poll is a comparison between Digital systems.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A fair point that maybe Davic shouldn't be included, on those grounds.
But the rest of it, I agree with too.
There really should be an option for disagreeing with all of them.
As it is, I think most of us could predict the 'result' - only too easily.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
But the poll is about a comparison between Digital. It`s localised and doesn`t stand comparison to anything else. Just like other polls here, It answers a specific question. I for one do not Imagine Digital will take over, I`m not tearing up three grands worth of Ninco track for a Digital replacement, but I will add in a digital track, and I will choose the best one available.

·
Registered
773 Posts
@ jonny - I tried out SCX for app. 1h - and there have been constant failures, cars had to be replaced frequently due to guide failures, teh power supply has been extreme weak, lane changing has not been reliable - sometimes it worked, sometimes not! IMHO it is trash! The system as it's been designed - not the digital idea! If you compare the available SCX-system to Scalextric and Carrera - which I also tested for app. the smae period - the prototypes are much better and worked proper!
Davic is available via DS - the lapcounter guys - and they actually try to get the system chaeper. It needs time but I'm shure they will do it! Not as cheap as the other systems - but the concept is made for club-racing and not for home racing!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look fellers, maybe I wasn't clear....

You don't have to have tried Davic to vote..
I clearly stated poll is for Carrera, Scalextric and SCX..

The poll is on the digital forum, never said it was inherently better than traditional slot track.

The idea was to see where we are today on digital, get some discussion/feedback going on how the manufacture's can improve.

While we are at it, how about the percieved enhancement in "play value" the manufacter's keep touting?

Basically, the discussion is off the ground and running.

·
Registered
773 Posts
...in short words - digital racing is fun - but different to normal slotracing! I enjoyed it! With any system I tried up to today! But for shure I would not invest in SCX - and if neccessary would wait a little to see the improvements on Carrera and Scalextric (which is the best working one IMHO) - and then decide where to put my money on...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,
I guess most of you know what I will be voting for, DAVIC!!

Of course I have to admit that I have not had the chance to test one of the other systems yet.

Within the next days (latest FRI this week) our 24h homepage will be online and those of you that are interested racing the DAVIC system can register there for this 24h team event. By the way the track will be a 6-lane, 70 Meters long track, representing Spa in 1:100 scale. The race will be 3rd to 4th of Juli, 2004 in Salzburg, Austria.
Those of you that read the German slotmagazin Car On Line might have seen the pictures of the track in the last issue.

But back to the main topic. I think that the DAVIC guys have enough orders to keep them busy for quite a while!!! And the big races will always be different and they will be more different if the DAVIC system is implemented.

Hope to see you soon in Salzburg,
Nico

Grenzlandslot

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tomas has made some really good points. I tend to agree...

Otherwise I was wondering if the digital systems could be combined (Scalextric and Carrera) in any way? They seem to have quite a few things in common. But I have not seen any in reality so.. (clueless). Otherwise if you for example have a Ninco track, would it not be possible to connect to some of the Scalextric digital track via track converters. One would then not need to change all the track? What about the mechanics and switches of the digital systems - maybe they could be used in routed tracks? Especially if the digital track change pieces were on the straights.

just rambling...

//peter

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
very interesting point about the interchangeability of LC pieces... if Scalextric and carrera both respond to light emitted from the car, which sees likely from reports so far, maybe you can use either, as long as the cars match the controller/lap counter bits.

Mind u - the carrera LC mechanism looks vicious, maybe it would just slice a standard guide off!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i found that too jonny, mind u, that LC would be incompatible since the mechanism is in the SCX car, not the track piece

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I reckon each manufacturer will bring out all kinds of LC and a pit lane at some stage. Scalextric have to really bring out a pit lane to go with Sport World, please guys you reall do

·
Registered
773 Posts
@ Nico - da muss ich dabei sein! Endlich mal!
About digital and Ninco - David Cosculluelo (CEO Ninco) mentioned, that it's a to early stage to invest in this technology as there is no common standard defined and that Ninco will wait - and I'v to agree a 100% with our friend from Spain!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts