SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought of this? They are cheap and usually come with their own power supply transformer.
I'm thinking of raising the track a little from the base with simulated frosted windowed road base and running Blue chrissy leds underneath the track. I reckon it might look fantastic in the dark. And really out there?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes! I have collected several junk christmaslighting. And fix then up!
It Will be very good streetligting.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Given your application, Christmas lights should work fine. I have a bookshelf arrangement with a hidden lighting valance for my track, and here Christmas lights do not put out enough light to simulate daytime conditions...I use low-profile under-cabinet flourescent lights for this. I do use Christmas LED lights to simulate moonlight for night racing though. Together with incadescent lighting here and there, it looks great!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi
I have been using Christmas tree lights for a while and the work very well.

Please see link below

http://pro-eco-motorsports.webs.com/apps/p...lbumid=13630057

To mount them I have purchased some white drain pipe and drilled holes through it at regular intervals. A large hole in the back to accept the light body and a small hole at the front to accept the bulb. This stops it falling through.

Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures.

Trev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trev. That looks absolutely stunning. I love your application. Given me some really great ideas. Thank you all for replying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Trev

in the last pic on that link, what were you using for the red/white track borders? home made or bought?

been looking for the very same thing!

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Great idea with the Christmas tree lights.

Staying on the Christmas theme I've used a few of the small fibre optic Christmas trees around my track, when switched on they look quite nice and atmospheric in the darkened room.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi,
I posted a link to a project a little like this last year [I think..... alzheimers, the problem you can forget about!]... link here:

http://www.scxworldwide.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=4690

I started off using scrapped Xmas lights but this link shows how to use these in conjunction with LED's and scrapped power supplies Ex mobile phones and such.... just another alternative approach.

ATB - Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Once I figured-out how to select and wire-up LEDs, that's become my way to go. They're ludicrously cheap, they run cool, they don't pull much current, they're easy to work with, there are plenty of resources both on this forum and in your local shop as to working with them (the RR guys), you can get them in all kinds of colors and intensities, and you can even get them in strings (under counter lighting from a home store with a supplied wall wart were used in lighting my garages).

I'd go that way versus trying to cut-up old Xmas light strings...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts