SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully an appropriate introduction.

Got into slot cars during the early '60s with Minic. I wonder how many know that name?

Graduated to scratch building and running on routed tracks as a teenager.

Foolishly wanted to be a race driver when I left school. Stepped onto the bottom rung of the F1 ladder, and ran out of money! Got married and had a family, that really was the end of any motor sport aspirations.

Dabbled in AFX and Scalextric through my sons.

Went online in '97 and discovered what was going on in the slot car market.

Loosening parental and financial ties allowed a 2-year return to kart racing to find out if I was any good. Relatively succesful and retired gracefully. A kart is a bit of a hostile environment for someone of my age!

Bought one of the next generation Scalextric sets a couple of years ago. Added some cars, track and barriers. Wondering if my MG Lola is quicker than I am. Fly Viper sticks to the track like an HO magnet car.

At a bit of a slot car crossroads. Thinking about doing something completely different. Pro HO racing in the US looks cool. CNC routed tracks, variable stiffness chassis with neo magnets. Pure slot racing! What about 1/24? Slot car racing in the great outdoors! Who could resist racing with the sun on their face!! News from AutoArt could sway the decision.

Or how about digital? Slot car tracks that look something like the real thing. Lining up at the back of a 6 slot car grid while developing a race strategy. Looking for weaknesses and intimidating the guy ahead. Deciding on a line through the next sequence of corners. Using corner out techniques from 1/1 racing. Out braking. Working out pit stop strategies on the fly. Been waiting 40 years for this!

Kamel Racer

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
II had Minic as a child. I recently bought an old catalogue to relive the memories.

You'll find, as summer comes around, some of us love nothing more than getting a track out in the garden. Great fun, just remember to get it up before the slugs take residence underneath in the evening!

Even compared to your recent karting you will find the budget goes much farther on slots. You can have a whole Monterey Historic Festival of cars for less than a weekend kart race - and no bruised bum!

Scott

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I was doing just that last week EE, sitting in the garden in the sunshine, track on the grass, controller in one hand laptop next to me on the wall and a ice cold beer.. admittedly the neighbours didnt like it but I did!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hi Kamel Racer,

Welcome to the forum

It looks like you are a deep thinker - just what we need. This hobby will surely take some interesting turns in the next few years. New frontiers will open and interesting times lay ahead.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome K.R.!

You'll find quite a mixed bunch of personalities on here with plenty of differing opinions to spark off debates

Mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts