SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tore
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm planning a City theme for the left corner of my track.

I've been looking for 3-4 story high buildings within a reasonable budget. So far I have found the Ameri-Towne range in O-scale for railroad scenery.

The scale is smaller than 1/32 but since this town will mainly be placed on the backwall it think (hope) I can get away with it and still make it look good. So before placing orders I printed some lowres images in 1:1 size and placed them on the sidewall to see how it would look.

The white squares are footprints of where I will place the 4 main buildings.

I think the O-scale is 1/43 or 1/48, but these buildings are still quite large meassuring 15cm wide X 23 cm high.

So what do you think is this scale usable, or will it look too small?

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
The size seems ok to me. Why not just print those off and glue to cardboard rather than buying the buildings.
You will need a high catch fence on that corner to stop the cars from hitting the buildings.
I would also remove the crossover. THey are ok on a tack that is not landscaped but they cause too many accidents and damge to your landscaping.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Scale looks good to me too. If you squint and ponder enough - you notice that the 1/32 guy might bang his head going through the doors, but even after you spot that, it looks good.

·
Tore
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I've been looking at them for a while and I think the scale is ok, as long as I use large buildings.

I'm going to place them a bit higher than the track and make a raised sidewalk to get them too look even bigger.

The print quality is way too low to get an acceptable quality. I want the texture and 3-d effect that the real buildings have. So 12$ each for the backdrop fronts and about 25$ for a complete building is not too bad, but they come unpainted though.

As for the crossover, I like the curve that it makes and I dont really race that much. I prefer to just slide around in my no-mags :) So there won't be a fence either. I'm aimoing for a race through the streets look, like Targe Florio but in the 60's american town look

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think the perspective looks just fine. Besides, with a car flying past them, you won't really be counting how high the bricks go.

Anxious to see it all done!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Looks fine to me. By being smaller that 1/32 the buildings create what modellers call "forced perspective", that is, they look slightly further away than they really are. So, actually, I think they may be better at 1/43 than they would be at 1/32. And, they're already pretty big. So, I'd definately say, "go for it."

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
I think the scale is close enough too. You may consider rasing the base of the buildings to give the impression that they are taller than they really are. You could do this by means of a raised terrace with steps leading down to the level of the track border. The driveway can be inclined from the track to the garage with retaining walls on each side. The bulk of the raised terrace to the left of the driveway could be landscaped with garden like plants and stone path.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I´d agree with Brad. Raise the base of the housings or have the street level a bit higher up than the track. Perhaps with a retaining wall to the track. Making some steps in height and only moving the objects [the houses] in question few inches back at each step makes a good illusion of depth. And also, diminishing the scale, the futher back you go.

You could also try this-- Put the buildings at a slight angle to track, pointing inwards the mountain [or is it?] And on that "hump" you could put [paint] a small cottage, faded in the distance, in even smaller scale.

-( R )-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.