SlotForum banner

clasic scalextric track

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  MrFlippant 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im thinking of selling all my clasic scalextric track. If I do this, what track brand should I go with for my home track. I have enough track to cover( three) 4x8 sheets of plywood and still have some left over.

#2 ·
I would go for the 4 lane Ninco set.

Ninco track is a bit wider than Scalextric (Sport is the same size as classic). Sport surface is smoother than classic, Ninco has a lot of grip, like SCX. Carrera track is the smoothest, the widest but is a real nightmare to set on and off.

Ninco also has an excellent conductivity, so no loss of power and is stiffer than Sport. You also get 5 radii curves. Downside, Ninco is probably the most expensive.

#3 ·
Hello Dad,
I guess every answer you get will be different, there are many different factors to consider.
Also depends where you are in the world, in the UK I'd say Scalextric Sport is the easiest option and would be (was) my choice.

Years ago I got all of my old Scalextric track out of the loft, it was lumpy and bumpy, conductivity was poor and the cars wouldn't run well at all. I ended up scrapping most of it as it was fairly worthless, picked up a Scalextric Sport set and then added more track. Sport track is smooth, fastens together easily and provides everything a modest home circuit could need.

Good luck with your quest.

#7 ·
Purely biased opinion as I only have classic and sports. However as said now many times. maintainance and INOX MX3 seems to have eliminated Sports connectivity problems. Now I put up my track for an evening and it runs flawless from the off. Maintained with the classic drop of INOX on the braids. NINCO does not seem to be favorite for digital. Thos e honours seem to co to Carrera (big, frigile but supposedly best surface) and Scaley sport . (Cheap chips and bomb proof track but narrow and a bit bumpy). You have to decide.

#8 ·
Hi there Dad..

Having built and run on many different types of track over the years, home and club use, If you have the room, and you dont want to go down the routed wooden track route, then go for Carrera track.
Its nice and wide, so 1:24th cars can run on it ok, has stainless steel rails, good track surface, and very tough..

The only downside is that compared to other makes, it is quite expensive, and there are no very small tight curves available, the smallest radius is quite large, so you do have to have quite a large area for a good size layout.
My own home track is a four lane Carrera, and I have found that almost any make of slot car runs on it, even my event cars fitted with the deep Slot-It guide for wooden tracks.

All the best.. Martin De'ath.

#10 ·
How many people do you have that want to race, if two to four why race digital??? you can run analogue, I do tracks for public display and have been using ninco since day1 (in analogue form), and have tried digital for the same, digital is far more problematic than analogue, and I dont see the punters enjoying themselves any more on it.
Carrera is the best of the rest as far as digital goes (easiest to run and the most realistic longist l/c, you dont have to slow so much), the only problem I have is using other cars on it these dont seem to 'pickup' the power very well, you will notice that carrera have large magnets on them, so you will have to use large mags on any cars you use as others dont have them.
Regards
Zen

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
AH there the rub! Why would you not want to run digital with 2 to 4 folk! Drive round on you own lane against the clock as the other guy is on a faster lane then swap OR face 4 to six cars (two goast back markers) weaving theough traffic, plotting you strategy over half or more of a lap ahead, weighing fuel burn against speed and where and how much fuel you need from the next pit stop! Admittedly, digital at its best, is not sutable for casual interest, for joe public just off the street its far to challengeing. But you don't let him have a day driving experience in a formulae 1 in real life either!

If you though that was a contentious comment watch this! SCALEY IS BEST CAUSE IT HAS R1. Scalectric has hairpin bends, these are fantastic! They truly set the men from the boy's (or girls no sexsism implied). They are technically demanding and add significantly to lap times on short circuits which is a double bonus. It allows loads of interesting track in a small space.

Ps, they really are technical, need inner and outer borders to be usefull and in reality proably of no use whatsoever if the folk partaking are not very interested. For the desicated they are in my humble opinion indispenceable on small tracks.

#12 ·
If space is limited then use the smaller scale sets, I'm sure you can get a much more complex setup with them, I make no bones about not liking digital, (great for trains, but you dont race them), and find that the need to facture in pitstops fuel burn and all the rest is just to complicated for a Numpty like me, I can get as much enjoyment out of racing one car on 6 lanes with NO MAGNETS OR WEIGHT, I dont race at home and dont have a home track I only race at a club and on the public tracks I use for displays
Zen

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Plenty of digital racers prefer no mag as well, Zen. My group is going to start our magless Slot.it Group C series just this afternoon, thanks.

Back to the OP, I didn't see Dad mention digital at all, so I'm not sure why this is even in the thread.
Since he has enough track to cover three sheets of ply, one can assume he has the room to have a track that big. That means all bets are off, and any track type is up for the choosing. If it's plastic on a table, I'd probably go Ninco or Carrera, if only because of the wider lane spacing and better continuity. If cost is a concern, which we might infer from him wanting to SELL the old track, then I'd go Scalextric Sport. It's cheaper, but not as good with continuity as Ninco, but that's easy to fix cheaply with some power taps and maintenance. Also, the deeper slot means slot.it and other cars won't have any problems, and being able to toss a few R1 turns really helps to make an interesting track in the space, rather than a typical "slot car track" look of nothing but R2 turns and straights.

In the end, he'll have to choose what's best for him, and just go with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.