I'm looking at switching00.00%
I am sticking with....444.44%
Not sure222.22%
No idea, ask me again Sept 1st :)222.22%

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is anyone thinking of switching classes next season?

Let's look at some of the possibilities. Paul Rose was mighty on Sunday in his first attemt at Mod class nationally (obviously he is very experienced in this class through racing at SCHORC), so it has to be possible he will tackle a whole season in that class. How does that affect champion Paul Homewood and the rest?

Dave Hannington has nothing to prove in Nascar, and with a Rokar Datsun in his pitbox could easily switch to Mod too. His scores have often been right there despite using a Nascar body and the supposedly inferior Life-Like T chassis. Or will he try for the treble. Expect Paul Whorton and Lee Henderson to let him off the hook a bit less often if he does, so it is by no means a lock.

Similarly Andy Whorton often blows the doors off everyone but the Pro-Moders in the afternoon, with scores good enough to win Nascar and even Mod. This despite using the long Mega-G and the large LMP bodies. Could he be building a killer pair of MG15s as we speak?

Andy P will probably be all guns blazing in Pro-Mod, but will he face anyone? Will Craig change classes having fufilled the promise Martin Hill and I noticed years ago by winning the Pro-Mod title? Will his Dad, the new Mod champion and the other half of this devestating father and son team, have another crack at the fastest class, having admitted that last time out his hand-to-eye coordination and trust in the car was more of an issue than the kit?

Will anyone switch at all, or will it all stay the same, and will anyone show their hand by trying something new at WHO next month, or by posting here?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (roll1later @ 6 Jun 2012, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think a switch is defo on the cards for both me and Craig but as to what

You could always try some options at WHO next month, either during practice or racing, seeing as you have both wrapped up titles already. I guess one could say Mod is sort of 'done' for you, although it might be fun to go head-to-head and take on Paul Rose etc. Then again you do that at SCHORC a fair bit, don't you? You have one big advantage in that you can try one class, Craig another, and then compare notes on the way home.

LMP1 could be fun, the key there being finding the rear tyre height compared to running the same chassis in the morning session. The class is fairly open behind Andy W, but then it is not a given he will do the class next season. Or Rob. Or Mike.

There is always Nascar, Dave may try Mod which would leave Paul W and Lee H scrapping away and no doubt happy to see some new blood come in to keep the class alive. Or he might go for the treble and your challenge would be to stop him.

I'd love to see you give Pro-Mod another try, I was sure last time it was a case of you not finding the rythmn and trust needed to drive them well. I have only just got there myself, and in the meantime Andy has moved the goal posts! But that's good, it should be hard to win at that level.

It will be a very interesting off-season, and we should all have our eyes peeled at WHO to see if anyone tries to do any under-the-radar testing.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jonnynobber - the guide device is on sale now, PM me and I will sort you out. It is lovely to be able to run the full wings again. I celebrated by getting two new bodies from Clive, both of which drew admiring glances.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I might be running mod/CW next year. I have enjoyed LMP and i would say its great for new starts because you only need 1 chassis for the day but i quite fancy a change. However this does all depend on what is the outcome of the off season at the STC.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
I am sticking with...

Pro-mod

What Rob mentions about "Pro-mod B" is something I've thought and talked about in the past. I always thought it might be a stepping stone into full-blown pro-mod. Or an interesting step down or even an alternative (just not next season).

Something slower would almost certainly involve pages of US-style rules and serious scrutineering. And it could turn out much more expensive than the current pro-mod.

We have Jon Cryer to thank for dialing into the Harden Creek neo magnets. They have upped the speed and taken car development into a different area to when we used the more expensive BSRT / Wizzard / Slottech polymer magnets.

The poly mags for my old 'slow' Patriot P3 were $15 a pair (Storm polys $25, Storm ceramics $20). The neos for my Storm, just under $5. Otherwise, all the other components are the same in the car. Now I know about the Wizzard TTT tyres, I would use them on a polymer car too.

Cost is an interesting one. Racers will buy 3, 4, 5 or ten new Life Like Ts to find a really good one. Likewise, I totted up what my Nascar SG+ cost including a spare rear axle and a painted, decaled JL body. It was £45 for one chassis. Quite a few runners in OW, LMP1 and Mod will have a couple of chassis for each class.

The Wizzard I won with at Marlborough was a stock Storm Extreme chassis with HC neos, SP05 armature, independent front end, Wizzard axle, gears, hubs and tyres. Totting that up comes to a smidgen over £45, about £50 with lexan, paint and decals.

The neo cars are brutes and - in my opinion - the more expensive 'esoteric' components are no better than the stock ones. Sometimes they are worse. For example, silver brushes wear straight through on a 3-ohm neo Storm, whereas stock Tyco brushes (yes Tyco) stay consistent over the 4 heats and finals.

Lower the speed and the pricey components come into their own: Big Feet brush systems are essential and a much wider range of tyre heights and gear ratios are needed for those tiny changes in downforce and handling. I have two axle set-ups for my Storm. I had six for the P3 (3 gear ratios, 2 tyre heights) and with three different tyre heights for each - potentially eighteen using the TTT hub/tyre combos.

Anyway, that's what I've found on my Wizzard voyage of discovery

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I tend to agree with Andy that Pro-Mods can be cheaper than the other classes as you are getting a good car straight out of the box, it's just that the current EAHORC Pro-Mods are faster than I like, I'd like to race something with the quality of the pro-mod chassis but the speed of the other afternoon classes, though why I don't just build that I don't know as I could come last in Pro-Mod instead of coming last in Mod

This is merely what I would like, it doesn't mean I'm going to start arguing about rules or dislike the current rules.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I knoow what you all mean, if you er...know what I mean.

My current Pro Mod Storm was certainly cheaper (for the reasons Andy mentions) than the old Slottechs and a lot faster. More fun? Not yet but that may be my fault. If think I may have hit on the right gear ratio and ride height on Sunday but sadly not on the same axle.

An all ceramic version of Pro Mod some day in the future? Yes please as I love working on the hobby chassis and think they would be enjoyable (a use for those balanced 6ohm arms I assume HC still have in stock?) but they would not be cheap and the joy of unlimited classes is there is no room for bickering over rules and that is priceless.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.