SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Regarding our new "Classic GT" proposed rules which I'm generally happy with - only fly in ointment why we can't use any
'S' can up to 21.5k - I'm intending to use my Slot-it Ford GT40 and a Fly model (the largest I've got).

I've tried fitting Slot-it 'F' tyres to the GT40 and they foul the chassis on one one side and the body on both sides and thats without
powering the car up, I've tried both 8 & 10mm wide wheels (the 'F' tyre is clearly meant to fit 10mm wide wheels), I've
currently got 20x11 P6's on the rear and glued and they don't foul at least when its at a standstill but there's still almost next
to no spare room.

The Fly models have a different problem, as standard they come fitted with 21mm diameter wheels/tyres and a 19mm (well
its larger than the one on my Slot-it Ford GT), so fitting fitting Slot-it 'F's at 20mm dia with 19mm gears leaves barely no room
for error (the tiniest bit of tyre wear and maybe a bit of tyre squirm and the gear will be scraping the track) I understand the
logic in using 'F's as they have their tyre type on the sidewalls BUT ?

Answers please.

Robert

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having started this topic I thought I'd just double and triple check on what I'd said, I discovered that the Slot-it 'F'15's I'd got
were 20x11mm and that there is a 20x10 size available, also these tyres have been oiled and just maybe they've swelled a touch, the proposed rules do state UN-GLUED 'F'22's though I have not yet experienced these yet so just maybe these will be
ok on the Ford GT (can't remember if these can be oiled but that would be defeating the object of fitting them without gluing as
they would then soften and further swell).

I mentioned that the 'F' tyres were clearly meant for 10mm width rims, this being that the inner rim width of the tyre leaves a
mm or two of overlap on one side only when fitted to 8mm rims.

Robert.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Robert,

Have you tried putting the F tyres on the other way around, so the "slot it" is on the inside? The ones that i have are not symmetrical so the "slot it" side sticks out further.

I think we may be using glued tyres now, so the best way to get clearence on your Fly gears will be to glue your tyres and then soak them so they swell up. It should give 1-2mm clearence. Both F tyres and P tyres seem to work well on classics.

On a bit of a side track, have you seen the prices of Fly's new releases, especially for Gulf ones? Don't think I'll be buying any......

cheers,

Gareth

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gaz,

I've tried everyway on the Ford GT I think, its very tight in the rear arches of the GT40 (no doubt the NSR versions have more
than enough room) we'll see when I get some F22's but I'm not going to attempt to remove the recent P6's I put on, although
the F15's came off my new holed Slot-it wheels with no damage.

Originally I was going to use my Fly 917 spyder with orange endbell etc (wanted to use ScAuto BB motor with BB axle) but I've
stripped down one of my Fly Lola T70's instead - its got a much longer wheelbase and I can take rear track up to 63mm but its
no lightweight.

Did not wish to go to the extra expense (must cut down) of a new NSR, though I suspect everyone will be using these b4 2 long,
but u never know.

Just a thought, if NSR,s can only use NSR motor, make Slot-it.s use only orange endbell, and Fly, Scalextric etc use anything as
these are still going to be inferior regardless.

Robert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.