SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Classic World Sportscar Championship Night - 20 August 2014

Overview:
A night celebrating the diversity of classic sports car racing, including a time trial, sprint races and an endurance event. The event is for box-standard 1/32 slot car models of sports cars competing in top level events in the period 1949-1973.

Entry Requirements:
An even number of competitors is required for the event format to work. As a result, places are open from a minimum of 8 to a maximum of 16 competitors. Entries should be registered on the thread to be posted on the Farnham Scalextric Club page of Slotforum.com.

N.B. The evening's entry fee will be £5 payable no later than 6 August to ensure turn-out.

Preparation rules:
Standard parts only as fitted by the manufacturer. The only exception is for tyres, which can be replaced with rubber tyres only (no silicone or foam), and these must be fitted on the original hubs from by the OEM manufacturer. Traction magnets must be removed. Weight can be used to substitute for magnets but must be housed inside the chassis and not visible from outside the car.

Eligible cars:
Standard 1/32 'off the shelf' hard body plastic (not lexan or resin) scale models of sports racing cars that competed in the World Sportscar Championship between the years 1949-1973. One car to be chosen by each competitor to take part in all elements of the competition.

All cars must be in racing liveries rather than rally liveries. Co-driver figures are accepted in models representing 1:1 cars where co-drivers were present. Suggested cars eligible for the event are as follows - this is not necessarily definitive and if you wish to clarify eligibility please contact via the entry thread.

Autoart: Alfa Romeo GTV, Jaguar C-Type, Jaguar D-Type
Carrera: AC Cobra, Aston Martin DB3S, Ferrari 166, Ford Mustang GT350, Jaguar D-Type, Maserati A6GCM, Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR, Porsche 904
Fly: Alfa Romeo GTA, Alfa Romeo TZ2, Chevron B19, Chevron B21, Ferrari 250 GTO, Ferrari 250 LM, Ferrari 512S, Ford GT40, Lola T70, Porsche 906, Porsche 908, Porsche 911, Porsche 917K, Porsche 917LH (NOT Porsche 917 Can-Am or Interserie variants)
MRRC: AC Cobra, Chaparral 2C, Chaparral 2F, Ford Mk.IV, Porsche 904, Porsche 910, Porsche 911, Shelby King Cobra
Ninco: AC Cobra, Austin Healey 3000, Corvette C1, Ferrari 250 TR, Jaguar XK120, Jaguar 'E' Type, Porsche 356, Porsche 550
Pioneer: Ford Mustang GT390 Fastback, Ford Mustang Notchback
Powerslot: Opel GT
Revell-Monogram: Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, Ferrari 250 GTO/64, Ferrari 275P, Ford Mustang GT350, Jaguar 'E' Type, Porsche 550, Shelby Cobra Daytona, Shelby King Cobra
Scalextric: Chaparral 2F, Chevrolet Corvette L88, Ferrari P4, Ford GT40, Jaguar D-Type, Mercedes-Benz 300SLR, MGB
SCX: Ferrari P3 (Exin), Ford GT40 (Exin), MGA, Porsche 917 (Exin), Renault Alpine 2000 (Exin), Renault Alpine A110
Spirit: Ferrari 512M
SRT: Renault Alpine A110
SRC: Alfa Romeo 33TT12, Ford Capri, Porsche 907, Porsche 908
SRT: Renault Alpine A110

N.B. 'Professional' slot car manufacturers such as NSR and Slot.It are not eligible for this event. Also scratchbuilt cars and resin limited edition cars are not permitted. If the event proves popular separate classes for 'pro' and 'scratch' entries might be considered for future occasions.

Competition Structure

1. The evening will consist of three separate elements, each representing the different challenges of 1:1 sports car racing in period. Doors will open at 19:00 on Wednesday, 20 August and racing will begin at 20:00 prompt.
  2. In keeping with the original World Sportscar Championship, points will be awarded to the top six finishers per round 9-6-4-3-2-1.
  3. In keeping with the original World Sportscar Championship, any driver finishing in the points in all three rounds must drop their worst score. Only a driver's two best scores will count towards their total.

Round 1: Targa Florio

Each competitor will race against the clock over five laps of Farnham's Mountain Stage.

Round 2: Tourist Trophy

As per a standard class at Farnham, each competitor will compete in 10-lap heats on all four lanes. Crash and Burn format - if you're out, you're out. The order of points scored will then see the top six drivers awarded with their points towards the evening total.

Round 3: Le Mans

• Drivers will be paired up by scores, starting with the points leader and the last in points, then second place with second-to-last in points etc.
  • Driver pairings will choose one of their two cars with which to compete in the 'endurance' leg.
  • This will consist of each driver competing in 20-lap heats on all four lanes as per a standard class at Farnham. Their aggregate finishing position will then see the top six pairings awarded with their points towards the evening total (if fewer than six pairs compete then points will still be awarded 9-6-4-3 etc.)
  • Drivers not competing will be required to marshal. This is not a Crash and Burn round - so keep those cars running!

It would be great to see a strong turn-out for the event, so please feel free to post on here if you have any interest in attending. There are no prizes, and as the rules suggest it's about having fun with pretty slot cars rather than an all-out competition.

Just for reference, the 'Mountain Circuit' to be used for the Targa Florio is one of our rally stages, and as such is heavy on hairpins and has some interesting camber and elevation. As a result competitors wishing to run with later cars should be prepared to lose a bit of time here through ground clearance issues. It is possible to get a Porsche 917 around here… but hard work!

The remainder of the evening's action will take place on the main 4-lane Ninco track, pictured here. More pictures can be supplied if required.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't see why not, Tone. SCCA rules should have been equivalent to those in Europe at the time. It was the GT350 fastback which raced at Le Mans, which is why the Carrera and RevMon versions are on the eligibility list. The main thing is to have fun, so on that basis SCCA sports cars shouldn't be a problem - but not Trans-Am or Can-Am.

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
Oi'll bring me poipe!

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Thanks one and all. Entries will be logged in this post as I am now the Farnham Club page mod. So far, then, we have:

1. Nick Garton
2. Jamie Coles
3. Graham Smith
4. Jim Moyes
5. Alec Edge
6. Chris Evans
7. Gareth Jex

Remember - we need even numbers for the event to work.

Potential runners please feel free to express interest or ask questions here or in PM.

Also opinions on brakes for the big track welcome - personally I'm in favour if it encourages visitors. Also non-magnet Sloters and Flys look quite cool squirming away while chucking the anchor out at the end of the straight!

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
Actually, I was only responding to Treas' cheeky post, suggesting that my "Riverdance" needs practice!

I've been watching these developments at Farnham with interest. Unfortunately, you've chosen the most stressful day of the year for me - my truck is in for test that afternoon - so I will either be in a state of extreme elation or deep depression. Neither are a particularly pretty sight!

Even though the thought of brakes and magic cranes doesn't inspire, it is sometimes good to experience them periodically to reinforce the notion that it's better without them. So leave me on the list for now, and use me as the way to even up things if there is an odd number.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
We tried out a wide variety of cars last night on the Mountain to make sure that there were no real issues with running sports cars on such a tight, twisty and steep bit of Classic Scaley track. Answer: none at all.

• Nincos did very well (of course, as rally folk would expect). We tried the Jaguar XK120, Ferrari Testa Rossa and Ferrari 166 with no issues at all.
  • Fly Porsche 908/2 and 908/3 did extremely well but need plenty of weight and clean tyres to run fast. Fly Ferrari 512S short tail had horrible tyres and just spun its wheels on the inclines
  • SCX (Exin) Ferrari P3 was rather nice, just like an SCX 2WD rally car. Old fashioned semi-pin guide seemed to help.
  • Revell/MRRC King Cobra also went like a rocket with a decent amount of weight in it.
  • Probably the best performer of the night was the old clamshell Scalextric Ferrari P4. Thought that might appeal to Mr. M
  • Nicest surprise was the Sloter Lola - considering how wilful these little beasts are on the big track, it seemed to go around the fiddly old Mountain like a goat on speed.
  • Scalextric Corvette L88 is OK with lots of weight in.
  • The only one which we couldn't get a good run out of was the Scalextric GT40. Not sure why as it's got enough clearance.

Of course the Mountain is only to be used for the one Targa Florio segment of the event. The other two segments of the TT sprint race and Le Mans endurance are on the big track. It may well be that drivers will choose a car that will struggle on the Mountain in order to focus on the other two segments - although this would make easy pickings for anyone with a Mountain-ready car.

PLEASE NOTE: Electronic controllers will not work on the Mountain. To ensure parity, we will all use the same Parma controller which will be plugged in for all competitors.

Remember, drivers scoring in all three segments will have to drop their lowest score anyway.

Could be some interesting strategies, methinks.

On a regulatory note, we decided that if fewer than eight people turn up, we will simply run the Le Mans segment as a regular club class but with 20-lap heats instead of 10 laps. Marshalling dependent upon numbers.

And as a final note, just to be different to a normal club night, we WILL run brakes.

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 7 Aug 2014, 10:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And as a final note, just to be different to a normal club night, we WILL run brakes.

Do you mean in the same way as Fly Trucks & Carrera classes are run? The brakes will be switched on but using them is voluntary.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Hi Nick,

I see my name is already down ... you must have some kind of foresight!!

I will be there and will bring payment next week or on the night.

Just to confirm - one can only race one car - or will a substitute be permitted if that breaks down?

Cheers

Jamie

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 7 Aug 2014, 10:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you mean in the same way as Fly Trucks & Carrera classes are run? The brakes will be switched on but using them is voluntary.

Yes, Jim. I'm not sure how you do that but if it can be done then feel free.

QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 7 Aug 2014, 12:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I run a Ferrari 512M (Spirit)?

Yes, Gareth. I'll add Spirit 512M to the list...

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (j-c @ 7 Aug 2014, 13:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just to confirm - one can only race one car - or will a substitute be permitted if that breaks down?

Sorry Jamie, got my Nerfees and Nerfers in a knot!

Yes just the one car for all three segments. Cheap night out! If it breaks then&#8230; um&#8230; yes a second car but only if not repairable. And the replacement car should come from the club stock!

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
If the controller is not wired to act as a brake then Jim's suggestion is possible.

How stickler-ish are you being on the racing not rally livery? ... as a car is a car - or should I just cover up the rally plates? !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts