Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've tried searching, but I haven't managed to find anything.

I've just put digital chips into a couple of Scalextric Porsche RS Spyders. I'm having trouble with one of them where on a particular CLC it's only intermittently changing lane. Sometimes it's fine, especially if I go over the other sensor slowly, but sometimes it doesn't work - the flipper will just stay where it is as the car approaches - if the flipper's already set to change lane the car will change uncommanded, and if it's set to straight ahead the car will carry on when the lane change button is pressed. As I said, it works fairly consistency at low speed, but at racing speed it's much more tempermental. I've tried changing the chip and I get the same behaviour, but only in this one car. The other RS Spyder is fine, and this only happens with one of my CLCs - I have another CLC and an XLC which the car is fine with. The CLC in question works perfectly fine with other cars, and it has the 'dimple' in it to prevent the guide crashing into the flipper. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the guide or the underside of the car, so I'm really confused!

So I was just wondering if there was anything you could suggest I look for?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
How are you getting to the sensor track ?

ie does it have a full straight before it ?

Does the car slide and thus miss the sensor at race speed ?

Also give the sensor a blow out just to make sure there is no dust on it

Michael

·
Registered
984 Posts
Is it a DPR or soldered in chip. Anyway the only thing I can add is is the position of the sensor EXACTLY in the same position in the offending car. If it is not than that may be the problem. It suggests that for some reason, proably missalighment of the car instalation as all chis are as bad, the CLC and car are not getting a good look at each other. Thats all I can add to Michaels comment.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
the usual culprit for random operation is dust. Give the clc a vacum witha soft brush attached and make sure the optical senser in the car is also dust free.

There have been the odd occasion where the chip senser has been obscured with a smear of glue from the factory.

Depending on location it is always a good idea to hoover the track every couple of weeks to ensure reliable
and smooth running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer the questions - it's a DPR chip. Both the ones I've tried are Rev G chips. As for placement, the senso does appear to be in exacatly the same place in both the working and faulty RS Spyder, so I'm baffled!
The CLC is after a corner, but the car doesn't slide out at full speed as it has such strong magnets, and it's the only car that seems to have an issue with the sensor coming after a corner. I tried moving the CLC to the end of a straight, and while the car was a bit better at changing lane, it still failed to change now and then.

I've hoovered the track and checked both the track and car for devirs/dust etc, and everthing looks clear.

It's a mystery!

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
You could try:

1) Swapping chips across as Michael suggested - if it's a dodgy chip it will make the other car exhibit the problems

2) Swapping magnets - even in identical cars there are always differences in motor power and traction magnet strength due to manfacturing tolerances. It could be the magnet in your troublesome car is weaker - this would allow it to slide more than the other car and miss the sensor more often.

My money is on the troublesome car sliding more than you think it does. Even the most powerful magnets allow a car to slide and the LED only has to be 3mm off to the side to miss the sensor.

I have this problem occasionally on my track - the pit lane entry is a half straight after the exit from an "S" bend made from r2 pieces and occasionally at racing speed some of my super resistant cars with magnets will miss the sensor which means the car follows the lane changer to whatever it was last set to - and sometimes that means a full speed entry to the pits!

Once you have proven it is the magnet then your only options are to:

1) get stronger magnets

2) get stickier tyres (or clean and treat the ones you have)

3) place the CLC so there is a long straight to tidy up the car's position before it passes over your sensor piece.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all your help.

I've tried swapping chips - this is the second chip that exhibits this behaviour in this car. The first chip is now in aother car and is absolutely fine. So I'm reasonably confident it's not the chip.

Magnets - strangely enough, of my two Porsche RS Spyders, the faulty one has by far and away the stongest magnet. In fact, it has just about the strongest magnet of any Scalextric car I own - it's able to go flat out through about 80% of my track. I also tried to eliminate sliding as a factor when I moved the CLC to the end of straight by ensuring the car was nice and straight and then accelerating towards the sensor. Although the car was fine initially, after a while it stopped changing lanes again. Is it possible that the magnet is too stong? Perhpas it's lifting the front of the car away from the sensor? I know it sounds daft, but this flippin' car has defied all your other suggestions so far!

I'm beginning to think I'm just going to have to accept that this an unsolveable mystery and I'll have to just put up with slowing down a bit for that particular CLC with this car.

Oh well!

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have had problems with few cars and few of them are lmp prototypes. I believe its wheelbase related. Spyder has maybe longest wheelbase that 1/32 will have. Of course DIY chipped cars may have led located too far back so led "travels" of rails on corners.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Flog the Devil Car on the bay and buy a new one that works .........

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Have you tried moving/extending the LED closer to the pickup plate? I have read that some people do this using the flying LED lead on the non-DPR chips.

Just a thought.
Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a DPR car so I don't think I have much choice over the location of the LED.

I haven't tried running it without the front tyres, but I think I'll take GregK's advice and get rid of it - although I'm a bit more fond of it now it's been termed the Devil Car!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Mike

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Is the Devil Car only misbehaving on the one CLC or is this behaviour exhibited on other changers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it's only misbehaving on one, and as Michael363672 suggested, it's the only CLC where the sensor is straight after a corner.

But when I moved that particular CLC to the end of a straight it only partially fixed the problem with the car. Which leads me to think that some sort of unique combination of that particular CLC with that particular car is the problem, but nothing so far suggested has worked, so I'm completely confused.

I'll probably hang on to the Devil Car, as it works fine as a pace car, so all is not lost!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Many replies have suggested that the car is drifting thus causing a misalignment of the IR emitter in the car and the IR sensor in the track. Now if we assume this to be the cause could it be that the sensor board in the straight cross over track is not mounted in the correct position. It would not take much of a shift in the sensor board from it's correct position to cause a problem.
Just a thought!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Mike ...... I might have an answer for you troubles, then again, I might not.

Can you swap the guide from a car that does perfectly work with the one in the Devil Car and try it? You will need to unscrew the body from the chassis to remove the guide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GregK - you're a genius! The Devil Car appears to have been exorcised!

I did as you said and swapped the guide from the working Spyder to the Devil Car, and the problem disappeared. What's more, the other Spyder still works fine even with the offending guide from the (ex) Devil Car, which makes me think it wasn't so much the guide but perhaps the way it was fitted? The two guides look pretty much identical with no obvious flaws on the one from the Devil Car, so it's still a bit of a mystery, but at least I now have two working cars!

Thanks very much everyone for your help!

Mike

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Oh, that's a pity as I was just starting to enjoy this thread .......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts