SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys think of Corner lane changers? Are they of value? Is it true Scalextric is discontinuing them? I have the Digital Plat. set and only have XLCs. Thinking about adding more to my track and a variety or should i just stick with more XLCs?

Thanks!

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
hi
i have read somewhere they are being discontinued,personally i dont use them and much prefer the xlc's.

Clc do have one good use and that is when you cut them in half and make a racing line chicane.

·
Greg Gaub
15,416 Posts
The main problem with CLCs is that they are a fixed 90 degree R2 turn. That can be hard to fit in a layout while trying to keep good flow. That doesn't mean they can't be used or aren't useful.
If you do have a 90 degree R2 in your layout with at least 1.5 straight approach, then go for it. I recommend the in-to-out version, but either will work if you race primarily digital. Also, if/when you get it, be sure to check for the "nipples" on the inside of the rail just before the flipper. If it's missing, you'll need to add it in because a lot of cars can have a problem hitting the flipper tip, or even going straight/turn when you wanted to turn/straight.

But yeah, if you're good with tools or know someone who is, they're great when chopped up and remade into a racing line CLC as Ade mentioned.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I like them, I have 3 of them in may lay-out. While the in to outs are faster, out to ins do offer a visual racing line and sometimes come in handy for blocking manouvers. Don't put them in a slow section because It is easier to stop on a dead strip than the xlc's. Go for It, you won't regret.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have two in my track, one out to in and the other in to out, both work well with the flow of the track without any problems, took some thought at the design stage to fit them in. Slowly being adding XLC, which in some ways are better, however people try to take a XLC too fast which often results in a de-slot. Best to position in a braking zone.

Suspect they are being discontinued due to lack of demand, as you can only change lane 1 lane, should have made a twin CLC like SCX.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had two of the out to ins but suffered a number of guide pin mounts in cars snapping in the slightly wider section of the slot of the changer!!!

After getting replacement chassis's from scalextric I vowed not to use them again!!!

BUT looking around the forum I noticed that the flippers and insides could be reversed so making the much smoother in to out curve.....Also moving the sensor from the not such a good idea half straight into another curve really transformed the CLC for me

I now have two CLCs both in to out lefthand and right hand and both have had the electronics from the half straight butchered into a radius 3 curve..this makes for a very smooth lane change and as i run some non mag cars so far have not noticed many sensor misses...and they make a sort of racing line lane change on a switchback set of curves...

Cheers MIkefi

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
QUOTE (bigbird @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
i have read somewhere they are being discontinued,personally i dont use them and much prefer the xlc's.

Clc do have one good use and that is when you cut them in half and make a racing line chicane.
There is another discussion re: CLCs here (link) including the info received when the question was posed about them being discontinued.

Most of the ones I have bought are "old stock" .... as recently as last summer so do not know if there is a lot of stock out there or not.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts