SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The metal on the track were shinny from new, but after a few races it has become more dark, black. We use a drop of INOX under each car before an race event, maybe that's why there is a lot of brown, black dust under the car braids? Is it a good idea to use ethanol and toilet paper to clan the track og does it only make it worse - or does it hurt the metal and forces rusty / rouge to appear?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
The black is most likely from the Inox MX3. No need to panic, it doesn't do anything detrimental. In fact, it does quite the opposite acting as a barrier to moisture and therefore rust.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great... you have saved me for hours of work

But on the long term.... Should we never remove it or clean our tracks?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Admittedly, mine is analogue rather than digital, but before it was painted I'd give the rails an occasional buff up with a soft cloth maybe every 3 to 4 months. Maybe every 6 months or so give the whole track a thorough a clean up with methylated spirits and reapply the MX3 on the rails. But seeing as I've painted my track recently I don't intend to go anywhere near it with meths anymore.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I wouldnt worry about It too much Olsen, I have track parts in use for digital for more than 5 years, and they were only shiney and new the first 2 weeks, still they perform well after all these years of use. I only clean It with WD40 once in a while.

·
Greg Gaub
14,669 Posts
I only buff clean mine when cars start acting up en masse, which is pretty much never any more. Sometimes I'll just be in the mood for a cleaner look, and wipe the whole track with a rag, which usually pulls up most of the darkness, but it doesn't make the cars go better or worse, really.

As for a drop on each braid before each event... I think you might be overdoing it. Once the track is treated, the cars shouldn't need any added. I only ever add a drop when a car is acting up. Again, this is almost never. The track was treated months ago, now, and hasn't had any problems since.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your replies, it makes sense
I will not clean the track then and next time we race we will be more conservative in using INOX. Maybe we won't use it if there is no need.

·
Greg Gaub
14,669 Posts
It's possible your track has a bit too much. I've found that wiping the track with a soft dry cloth (I use an old washcloth) cleans the track and rails nicely, and does not take away the effect of the INOX treatment. Just light pressure, enough to buff the rails, but not so much that you're scrubbing it all off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I also think we added too much INOX MX3. It works fine, but the braids are very, very dirty - but we will try to reduce the amount. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
the black dirt is caused by arcing wich happens at all the track joins but more so at the digital track sections as the car passes a fairly large dead section on a xlc if it stays in lane.

Just use a cloth to wipe off the excess inox and lighter fluid or switch cleaner on the braid plate to remove the build up of gunk.

With inox less is really more and it lasts for months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts