SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to clean both rails and the pplastic base of a lt of scalextric classic track. What do you think wouldbe the best way for very little money

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've seen them using a jet engine on the bigger tracks and a huge propane torch on the smaller tracks. You gotta heat the rubber up enough to...wait a minute, this is a slot car forum, isn't it?

Never mind

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
If you are a lazy bugger (aka Wrexham Slot club) purchase yourself a Kelvin Light roboclean - set it off and go for long w/e break.

For resurecting old track that is long past its best there are many methods although I use plebys products (via ebay) which is a bit gimmicky but works like a dream and means all my cleaning product needs are all together.

For general clean up use a squirt of WD40 or lighter fluid on a lint free cloth a wipe the rails

For every day cleaning add a generous squirt of lighter fluid to braids and drive round your track a couple of times slowly.

Matt

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have a Kelvin Robo-clean and am not a huge fan.

It just cleans the rails, and doesn't clean the track surface. If you have left your track for a few days and it is dusty, the robo tyres slip, and it can get stuck in places. It has melted a few spots on my track. It is also too tall to go under my bridge.

With care its kind of good at what it does, and would be better on a more open sweeping circuit than mine.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I remember now. We dust off the track with a soft cloth first. Then we send out a car to make a lap or two around the track. Any spots the car seems slow, we wipe down some more. Then after all the lanes are clean we send out practice cars. These are just whatever car we feel like practicing with. What happens is the practice cars warm the track up. The braids clean the track contacts a bit, the tires clean the track itself a bit and so on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What i do is quite simple, and it only takes 2 minuttes to clean around 12 meters of track.

I use my Dyson Hoover (a british cyclon-hoover) with a special head that is about the same width as the track!

It litteraly sucks, so there is absolutely no dirt, dust or hair left in the rail, or on the track.

Morten

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
On my Carrera track, I run over the layout first with a dustbuster to pick up anything large, then wipe the whole surface down with a paper towel that has some liquid soap sprayed on it (Simple Green works well). Let it stand for a few minutes for the remains of the soap to dry (clean the tires on your cars with the saem soap while you're waiting), then go for it. Good traction and contact from the first lap. I guess it helps that the Carrera rails are stainless steel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (a Bill @ 27 Jul 2004, 20:26)I remember now. We dust off the track with a soft cloth first. Then we send out a car to make a lap or two around the track. Any spots the car seems slow, we wipe down some more. Then after all the lanes are clean we send out practice cars. These are just whatever car we feel like practicing with. What happens is the practice cars warm the track up. The braids clean the track contacts a bit, the tires clean the track itself a bit and so on.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For just getting rid of the dust I do it like this

Have fun

Gerald
www.zwiebelring.net

·
Registered
54 Posts
For cleaning the slot rails I use "Modclens", as used for cleaning model railway tracks. Just put small amount on a cloth and wipe along the rails. Its amazing how much dirt comes off!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use a VAX, no not the 'wet and dry' cleaning head, just the stiff brush head that gets right into the slot, (but only while wearing my 'kim and aggie' pink fur-cuffed marigolds!)
This is the domestic sanitisation forum isn't it?
Crumbs, at any moment this could turn into a 'dirty slot-track nightmares from hell' thread.
just my two old pennies worth.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Incidentally, Welcome Zwiebelring - that is a very neat setup you have there!

Also a VERY smart and technical website, which some of you might like to take a look at, but have your Google "Translate This Page" on hand.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Andy

After hoovering my track i wipe it over with a lint free cloth and good old WD40, spared onto the cloth wiped over the track, I use another lint free cloth to wipe it off again.

WD40 on WD40 off

Hope this helps

ScalextricRacer

·
Martin Kay
728 Posts
QUOTE (Zwiebelring @ 27 Mar 2005, 17:00)For just getting rid of the dust I do it like this

Have fun

Gerald
www.zwiebelring.net
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*That* explains why Schumacher is so slow this year...!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts