SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in various forms, but there is a twist to my post.

I bought (cheap) a Scalextric Silverstone (analogue) set which reaks of cigarette smoke..... track, PSU/PB, controllers, box... (only one bashed up cars).

I have read on this forum that the track can be cleaned with...
1) alcohol (does this mean isopropyl alcohol?)
2) soap and water
3) INOX for rails and Armourall All Purpose Cleaner for plastic

I just want to check that any/all of the above will work and will remove the smoke smell. Also, since the track is used... will the above also "renew" the track surface colourwise so it matches my other new track?

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I Sealevel, if your tracks bad & you want the black plastic looking new & smelling better then clean it with WD40. You may have to spray both sides initially.
Remember to wipe off residue well.
It`ll also do a good job on the rails. As will turps substitute & lighter fluid.
Scaley used to recommend that you clean your rails with an oily rag. That`s all I`ve ever used & have never once had a problem doing that.
Keep wiping after every use & your track will never go wrong.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
You'd be amazed at what Pleby's solution will lift from plastic track. Many, many years ago I tried Duraglit to clean the rails on a few pieces of track. It didn't work well, and left a load of residue in the texture of the track. A couple of rubs with some Pleby's 20yrs later took all that gunk away. I happen to think it smells quite pleasant, too. Sort of furniture polishy. I'm willing to bet they share some of the same ingredients.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I treated a very dirty piece just like a dirty dish, but handwashed with water at about 40 ° C and a good deal of soap. Rinced with clear water, dried with a towel and then sprayed WD40 on the rails (both sides, to remove the rest of humidity). Finished the rails with ... ofcourse Inox MX3. Worked very well.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
When I was a kid Harry I put a warped Goodwood chicane in me mams oven to straighten it out...unfortunately for the oven & my backside I forgot all about it & went out for a two hour game of football ..........

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
293 Posts
Right then...

I took a knackered bit of track and tested it in boiling water to see how it coped with temperature. The answer was "badly", so the dishwasher was out. I then washed it with Fairy Liquid and sprayed it with GT85.

Dirty.

Washed.

Sprayed and wiped.

Sprayed with GT85 gave the best result, but as my track goes on carpet and I'm fond of my genital and facial arrangement I'll just stick to washing it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
G'day Sealevel,

I posted this pic on another topic about cleaning old/used track but I'm not sure how to do the linky thing so here it is again.

Your used track probably doesn't have the 'rust effect' but the pic clearly shows the difference in the cleaned plastic and the dirty plastic. I cleaned the rust from the rails using the Yellow foam/green scour combo wash pad from the kitchen and a little WD40 to help it along the way. Once the rails were smooth and shiny again I gave the whole piece a spray of WD40 and rubbed it down until all traces of grime were removed and dried it with a clean cloth before spraying it with a product you use to make your full size tyres shine like new. Gave this stuff a good rub to remove any excess before wiping the rails with a clean cloth again and applying a coat of Inox to the rails only. It took 15 mins to go from a dodgy piece of track to one that now looks 'new' and smells....well like a mix of WD40,Inox and my $2 tyre shining spray, does'nt really have a smell to it at all. Hope this is of help.

Matt

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks, Kev, Stoooo, Harry, Koala2, and Matt for sharing your experiences.

I will definitely avoid ovens and dish washers for cleaning track!

I was worried that "washing" the track might remove the coating on the rails (I understanding that this slows down the rust).

I will try using gentle dish soap (non-detergent Sunlight, maybe). I was going to use this device in our clothes drier for drying shoes/trainers and use it on low heat to get the water out then follow up with WD-40 to remove any remaining moisture. And a finish coat of INOX on the rails.

Does that sound like a plan?

I have all the track from the Silverstone set to do so after trying one piece I will then do the others. Again, many thanks for your advice.

Cheers!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good plan but make sure the "clothes drier" doesn't turn out as a "track-oven".
Test with the broken bit if you really want to dry the pieces after rinsing them.
But, if you just wipe them dry and then chase moisture with WD40 it will be OK (ofcourse wipe off again after WD40)
If you really want to blow them dry, use a hairdrier from a sufficient distance and check the temp of the plastic regularly (if your fingers get stuck on the surface you'll feel that you'ce gone too hot
)
And, don't forget to show us the results.
Cheers
K2

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it... advice will be heeded. I hope to do some cleanup over the next couple of weeks because we are out of town in Feb.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Step 1 update...

I washed all the Sport track pieces (remember this is the entire Silverstone set) with dish washing soap and water... towel dried ... then put on the "rack" insert in the clothes drier at LOW.

No problems.... track got a slight bit warm and there was still a few areas with moisture but all came out fine. I tried taking a pic but the before and after looked similar. Must be the effect of flash and close up photography.

I even washed the PB/lap counter track (NO, I did not immerse this in water... just a soapy cloth followed by a damp, clean one and towel dry followed by hair drier).

The key is LOW cycle and some times I used "More drying" others "Normal drying" and the only diff is how warm the track got. There was a slight smell (warm plastic?) but allowed all pieces to dry indoors overnight.

Now have noticed that some rails have "spotting" on them (not rust) so plan to try the "green pad" suggested by Mattcrackers. However, will this remove the "coating" that I keep hearing about? You know, the reason we should not use sandpaper on the rails.

QUESTION 1 - should I use one of these green/yellow sponge pads to clean the rails?

I need to do this next before sprucing up the track surface. If this process works, I will use it on the other used pieces I have bought that did not smell as bad.

QUESTION 2 - is WD-40 or tire/tyre brightener the best thing to use on the plastic? I don't question it looks great.. just wondering about any chemical reaction etc. with the plastic.

Lastly will come the INOX on the rails... my large spray can will come into play (spray into a dish and paint on is the plan).

Thanks again!
Cheers!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Could the 'spotting' you notice on the rails be residue from dried water droplets? I'd be staying clear of any abrasive if possible. What happens if you give the spot a rub with a microfibre cloth? If it's just a water mark it will polish off.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Ember.

I will try that.

Update.... track still smells "smokey". So, how to treat the plastic so as not to ruin it.

Cheers!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Let's see, from my mother's Bessamer and Tuppaware days cold water is actually supposed to do a better job of getting rid of smells from plastic than hot water. Hot water was supposed to 'cook' the smell into the surface. White vinegar might help. Or bi-carb soda.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got those so will try them.
Thanks, Ember.
Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts