SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,406 Posts
Hello,

How does Carrera digital lane changing work?

Carrera's digital system is unlike most others. Rather than the car (chip) directly communicating with the lane changer to choose the lane, it's the power base (control unit or CU) telling the lane changers which car(s) want to change lanes. The lane changers all look for that car, and change lanes when it sees that car. As such, the only way that a stock Carrera digital track will allow lane changing by ANY car, is when the CU tells the lane changer what to do. This means that it's not possible for a wirelessly controlled car (e.g. oXigen) to change lanes on a stock Carrera digital system without working around this limitation.

How does slot.it oXigen work around this limitation to make their system compatible with Carrera digital tracks? Two ways.

1) By leaving one wired controller connected to the CU with the LC button held down. All oXigen chips are then able to be put into Carrera compatibility mode so that when a LC is requested, the car will emit the ID for the controller connected to the CU, thereby telling that LC it wants to change. It works, and it works well, at no cost to the track owner since they will have a Carrera controller going unused for wireless racing anyway. Some clever hobbyists have even taken the time to develop a plug that does the job without the need or use of a controller. Compatible!

2) With their new Type C oXigen chip, Carrera compatible firmware can be loaded to the chip so that the car can be natively controlled by an appropriate Carrera controller, just like a Carrera chipped car. The car would function just as a car with a Carrera chip in it would. Compatible!

Beware of manufacturers who attempt to discredit their competitor's advancements rather than offer their own.

Greg

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
How does slot.it oXigen work around this limitation ......

Greg
As you admit Greg its a workaround. By default a workaround is required because of the incompatibility.
Would you agree?
So its semi compatible with caveats ie you must plug in a controller with the button taped down?
But is that fully compatible? Logic tells anyone it is not

I have emails asking about Carrera compatibility with wireless systems using direct controller to car comms and as an expert at the top of my field it is my duty to simply inform people of the facts.
I inform them with the fact its technically Impossible without add ons and caveats.

When compatibility is mentioned it must be clear to the end user or customer of the limiting caveats of the so called compatibility.

For two items to be compatible they must work in harmony without modification otherwise the fact is Carrera car ID function is fully compatible and lane changing zero compatibility

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The dictionary definition of compatible is... "(of two things) able to exist or occur together without problems or conflict."

Most reasonable people would see oXigen and Carrera as meeting that definition.

Please try to stick to discussing the advantages of each system rather than trying to pick holes in competing systems with petty arguments. That's how reputable companies generally do business.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Jason
Reputable companies always disclose all the facts. Having said that I think most if not all companies on this forum are reputable. lll
leave it alone now mate. All the best.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
15,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slot.it has been 100% clear and forthright with how their system works with Carrera and what is required to make that happen from the start.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Hi Jason
Reputable companies always disclose all the facts. Having said that I think most if not all companies on this forum are reputable. lll
leave it alone now mate. All the best.

Rick
Totally agreed Rick, well said. I honestly believe that the companies that are represented here on the forum, are not just reputable, but have a huge amount to offer to our hobby.

Long may that continue for all of us.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
2) With their new Type C oXigen chip, Carrera compatible firmware can be loaded to the chip so that the car can be natively controlled by an appropriate Carrera controller, just like a Carrera chipped car. The car would function just as a car with a Carrera chip in it would. Compatible!
Does it allow lane changing? And would it work with the refuelling lanes? I haven't read or seen these claims anywhere else, I am just curious.

Thanks.

·
Greg Gaub
15,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it allow lane changing? And would it work with the refuelling lanes? I haven't read or seen these claims anywhere else, I am just curious.
Without a finished product in hand to test, it's hard to say, but the GOAL is for the chip to work with all Carrera functionality natively. That means that lane changing and refueling will work, just as if it's a Carrera chip in the car.

I look forward to outfitting several cars with these new chips.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hmmmm ...... so your assertions are based upon ............... marketing blurb ...
yikes.gif

Sleeve Gesture Font Adaptation Happy

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
15,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just like you, when a manufacturer that I know and trust is advertising an upcoming product, I take them at their word for what it will or won't do upon its release. If you're telling me that I shouldn't trust anything mentioned in a press release until the product is in hand to prove that their claims have come to fruition, then I expect to see quite a change in the things that you post regarding other products.

Facepalm, indeed.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I have too much experience to take anything at face value until I test it for myself. Far too many slot-car projects start off well-intentioned but fail hopelessly because of mission-creep.

Please feel free to highlight any of my posts regarding any products from any manufacturer. If I was wrong in any way, I will happily put the record straight ....... over to you ... ;)

·
Banned
6,580 Posts
Developing compatibility between the O2 wireless system and the Carrera system looks both interesting and exciting.. thanks Mr Flippant for outlining how this level of compatibilty will be achieved. Very clearly explained :)

However, please forgive my simple questions which relate to lap counting compatibility... I wonder if anyone can help clarify please?

Am I correct in understanding that for car IDs 1-6 the O2 system is fully compatible with the SSD lap counting hardware... e.g. IDs 1 thru 6 register on the SSD hardware?

I am then struggling to see how the same level of compatibility will be achieved for Carrera IDs and Carrera lap counting hardware. Would I be correct in understanding that a car would only register a lap if it crossed the SF lap sensor WITHOUT the controllers lane change button being pressed? I am wondering this because in cases where the lane change button is pressed surely the wrong ID is being signalled? or has something more clever been engineered into the design?

As I say, it will be both exciting and interesting to learn, in due, course how maximal compatibility is achieved... I am genuinely interested from an O2 user perspective i.e. I am interested to learn how this cross-compatibility will function and how we, as users, will be able to enjoy this cross-compatibility.

C

·
Registered
124 Posts
Developing compatibility between the O2 wireless system and the Carrera system looks both interesting and exciting.. thanks Mr Flippant for outlining how this level of compatibilty will be achieved. Very clearly explained :)

However, please forgive my simple questions which relate to lap counting compatibility... I wonder if anyone can help clarify please?

Am I correct in understanding that for car IDs 1-6 the O2 system is fully compatible with the SSD lap counting hardware... e.g. IDs 1 thru 6 register on the SSD hardware?

I am then struggling to see how the same level of compatibility will be achieved for Carrera IDs and Carrera lap counting hardware. Would I be correct in understanding that a car would only register a lap if it crossed the SF lap sensor WITHOUT the controllers lane change button being pressed? I am wondering this because in cases where the lane change button is pressed surely the wrong ID is being signalled? or has something more clever been engineered into the design?

As I say, it will be both exciting and interesting to learn, in due, course how maximal compatibility is achieved... I am genuinely interested from an O2 user perspective I.e. I am interested to learn how this cross-compatibility will function and how we, as users, will be able to enjoy this cross-compatibility.

C
To enable a Slot.it type B chip to count laps on Carrera track (as well as enter pit lane), magnets are used underneath the track to trigger the led.

I am not well versed in how this would be done with SSD.

·
Vendor
2,985 Posts
I think reading page 25 of the oXigen manual will clear anybody's doubts. The page on Carrera compatibility (call it as you wish for what matters) is there since probably day one.

As for "Carrera compatibility with wireless systems using direct controller to car comms and as an expert at the top of my field it is my duty to simply inform people of the facts.
I inform them with the fact its technically Impossible without add ons and caveats.", you miss the fact that type C isn't wireless when used in Carrera mode. It is natively compatible. It reads commands from the rails, like a D132 chip. It behaves like a Carrera D132 chip, or a Carson chip. Probably, the one thing it doesn't do is ghost car mode. The same applies to Scalextric SSD.

Thank you very much, by the way, for giving me the opportunity to clarify this matter.

·
Banned
6,580 Posts
Many thanks for the kind clarification... which I appreciate.

So native mode sounds fantastic for cross-platform compatibility.

Where I am still a bit unclear is where the system is used withO2 providing wireless control. Having re-read Mr Flippants excellent opening post, and the having re-read page 25 of the Oxygen system manual I am still left with some uncertainties... How many Carrera controllers do I need to install with LC button held pressed down while driving the cars using O2 wireless controllers? is it...

A/ Just one - but with all cars programmed to the same Carrera ID?
B/ One for each car, each with a unique ID - hence, presumably, any Carrera lap sensor would then read a unique ID?

If I understand correctly Mr Flippant is describing A while the manual is describing B. Would that be correct?

This is all genuinely exciting, but a little confusing for those of us who are relatively new customers/users of the O2 system.

With genuine and huge thanks for already sharing some very helpful clarity...

C

·
Greg Gaub
15,406 Posts
I believe what happens is, when the car passes over the magnets placed under the track just before the finish line, it ignores any lane change requests in order to emit the appropriate car ID to the control unit as it passes the S/F line. It does this for a specific period of time, which is why slot.it do not recommend lane changers immediately before or after the S/F line.

Only one controller is needed because cars above ID 6 will revert to that same ID when requesting lane changes. As such, I believe it's possible to run a 14 car race with just the one controller (or controller dongle) plugged in. I'm not entirely sure what the requirement would be for all 20 cars, if all 6 control inputs would need controllers plugged in, or not.

The Carrera lap sensor will only count 6 cars, just like SSD. When wanting to count laps for more than those cars, it's necessary to utilize oXigen lap counting instead of Carrera.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts