SlotForum banner

Closest Lane width?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Primed 
#1 ·
Hello everyone...I'm getting ready (planning stages) to route a 2 lane Rally style/hill climb track with a single crossover (1 car running at a time only). So my question is.....What is the closest width the lanes should be without interference from tires or electrical problems. The track will mostly run 1/32 (& Maybe a few 1/43 WRC Rally cars). I will be using copper braid.

I was thinking 2" Min. lane width for smooth running? Do the cars get unsettled over the braided sections?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are running one car only why not just go single lane?

If you recess your braid then it should not upset the cars.

Try to avoid spacing that places tyres on the braid - deposited rubber is an insulator.

My rally track has been fine with copper tape and it doesnt unsettle cars.

One thought - if you made your track with rally loops at each end you could separate the slots by the width of the braid - as you would be running in the opposite direction the centre braid would be common to both slots.

Personally I would go with tape every time. It will form to tighter bends more easily and if you use the type with conductive adhesive it makes repairs very easy (not that I have had to repair my track in hundreds of hours of running).

Braid is technically more elegant but I am not convinced it offers a performance advantage. My prorace Ninco scoobies with crusher motors dont struggle to draw power through tape and they draw serious current.

Edit: As I was typing my post somebody jumped in with a perfect example of a common centre conductor...

#4 ·
A track that I built for a fellow club member, For part of the track the lane spacing was close enough to get away with two slots, but only 3 pick up stips of 1/4 inch copper tape.

That's awesome...the 3 pick ups is great.

If you are running one car only why not just go single lane?

If you recess your braid then it should not upset the cars.

Try to avoid spacing that places tyres on the braid - deposited rubber is an insulator.

My rally track has been fine with copper tape and it doesnt unsettle cars.

One thought - if you made your track with rally loops at each end you could separate the slots by the width of the braid - as you would be running in the opposite direction the centre braid would be common to both slots.

Personally I would go with tape every time. It will form to tighter bends more easily and if you use the type with conductive adhesive it makes repairs very easy (not that I have had to repair my track in hundreds of hours of running).

Braid is technically more elegant but I am not convinced it offers a performance advantage. My prorace Ninco scoobies with crusher motors dont struggle to draw power through tape and they draw serious current.

Edit: As I was typing my post somebody jumped in with a perfect example of a common centre conductor...
Thanks for info
thumbsup.gif
I'm doing 2 lanes but each lane will have different corner lines (entry & exit...apexes?).Lane width will vary over the entire circuit. Besides, if I only routed 1 lane it would be too easy...I might just get it right the 1st time. With 2 lanes I get double the chance for hours of frustration which includes.....Yelling.....Cursing.....kicking the dog....throwing & braking things
grump.gif
All true except dog kicking......
thumbsup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.