Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, as discussed at the Club AGM I have been charged with slimlining our Classes Structure.
As a 1st step I'm asking for each member to nominate 5 classes they would "Scrap Off" from the 23 classes listed below.

It is my intention to remove 3 classes from the current list to give me a nice round number of 20 from which to
begin the process of Class Consolidation.

If you feel there is a particular reason for any of your nominations please give it.

*** NOTE: "Because they're sh*t" will not be deemed a valid reason! ***

BPR Global GT
Classic GP
Classic Trans-Am
Classic Trans-Am RTR
DTM
Fly Classics
Classic Slot.It, NSR
Formula 1
Formula 1 60's-70's
Front Engine Cars
Group 5
GT Cars
Karts
Le Mans Group C
LMP Sports Prototype
NASCAR
Ninco Classic Sports
NSR GT3 Cars
Rally Cars
Super Touring Cars
Unlimited Saloons
Unlimited Sports & GT
WTCC

ALL METHODS OF COMMUNICATION ARE ACCEPTABLE SO NO EXCUSE FOR NOT TELLING ME YOUR PREFERENCES.
If anyone is in contact with any Members who don't use Facebook or Slotforum,
can you please let them know what we are doing and get their votes/preferences forwarded to me?

Nominations to be received by MIDNIGHT ON JANUARY 4TH please guys.
I won't be at Club on January 4th due to a prior engagement so please don't wait until you see me next.

The votes will then be published and a recommendation made that the 3 classes with the most nominations
then be removed from our Club Class List.

Thankyou in advance for your co-operation.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Nik
I don't normally get to vote, so a strange sensation for me!

My cull classes and why:

WTCC- because the SCX Honda Accord is the dominant car in the allowable cars currently, impossible to get hold of. Very similar to the super touring class.

Rally Cars : basically because they are another touring class very similar to WTCC and Super Touring just with a co-driver.

Karts - last run pre 2010. I think we should pool all our specimens and , like ****'s Ninco Mercs, use them at our Chrimbo bash as club cars.

GTs - keep two of the three GT classes, think I prefer the BPR (good seeing the fly cars) and unlimited classes, so scrap GT.

Fly Classics - can be run with the Slot It etc class now so no point.

Classic GP - expense, you need a Cartrix body and build from that, ideally you need a Cartrix merc which are super expensive if you can find one. We also run these at our September Classic and at Wolves classic mtgs so opportunities for those that want to to stretch their legs at these CSCRA meetings.

Front Engine - a quirky class that is interesting and a technical challenge to prepare a car. This makes it difficult for most especially any less experienced racers. So reason in my list because I think it is a tad too difficult for the majority of our club members.

I know that is 7, but got to have some perks as chair.

Matt

·
David Collins
2,359 Posts
I'd agree with Matt's list except Classic GP - we do seem to vote this class in every couple of years, and I think no one but Matt can run a Cartrix competitively at the open meetings! I just like the idea of running this type of car, even if my own are crap...

Sorry for not turning up at the AGM - all in a good cause, we now have a wood stove installed for a cosy Christmas!

I'll probably miss the Rockingham Xmas Extravaganza as usual, family obligations. Roll on Friday 4 January!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi Nik,

I think the following are obvious candidates to be dropped;

Ninco Karts - obsolete and we haven't raced them since we move to Rockingham. I like Matt's idea of using them at the Christmas do.

Fly Classic - no need for a separate class as they can be run with the NSR/Slot.It Classics.

Classic Trans-Am - we have two Trans-Am classes just go with the CSCRA RTR Trans-Am class and drop the other one.

Rally - they should be run on the rally track not raced on the race track.

WTCC - obsolete and the cars have long been discontinued.

Cheers.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree with ****'s suggestion on TransAm. Hey maybe we could get ride of more than 5 classes!

I also think we should have a rally night every few months, on rally tracks, interspersed with the F1 and Endurance series.
Dave, appreciate the input but each member gets 1 chance to air their preferences.

3 classes will be "Scrapped Off", no more than that, the remainder will be left as independent classes or consolidated into larger classes.

Regarding a rally night, rally nights were held regularly until 2 years ago, dwindling numbers ended their run.

This thread is not about resurrecting the dead it's about the future running of the club's Scale Track class structure.

Comments made are meant with best intentions regarding the club's Friday night racing.

Cheers.

Nik.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dear racing companions,
I would like to avoid :
1) Front engined cars- as I understand they are difficult to set up well and are not raced elsewhere, so probably would not be interested sufficiently to participate.
2) WTCC- would'nt have any interest to get one of these limited number of SCX models.
3) Trans -Am Classic- we already have the CSCRA listed classes which I think is enough, I would be reluctant to participate in another car set up variation specially for a club series.

Seasons Greetings and hope to see you all next year.
Graham

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh, sorry if I could be allowed a 4th one it would be Karts as I don't have one and not inclined to get one. As with the other 3 it would be an unessary expense for something which is not raced elsewhere. So would not participate in this event.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dear racing companions,
I would like to avoid :
1) Front engined cars- as I understand they are difficult to set up well and are not raced elsewhere, so probably would not be interested sufficiently to participate.
2) WTCC- would'nt have any interest to get one of these limited number of SCX models.
3) Trans -Am Classic- we already have the CSCRA listed classes which I think is enough, I would be reluctant to participate in another car set up variation specially for a club series.

Seasons Greetings and hope to see you all next year.
Graham
Oh, sorry if I could be allowed a 4th one it would be Karts as I don't have one and not inclined to get one. As with the other 3 it would be an unessary expense for something which is not raced elsewhere. So would not participate in this event.
Hi Graham, not only are you entitled to a 4th one, you can even have a 5th one...just like everyone else
thumbsup.gif

Your input is valued.

Thankyou everybody who has replied so quickly it tells me that this is a popular idea and will be worth my time sorting it out.

Cheers.

Nik.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A week and a couple of days to go until the deadline, great response so far, waiting for replies from Adam LeMaistre, Sean Illett, Dave Farrow, Mike Thomson, John Underwood, Rob Kerr and Simon Gathercole. If I've forgotten anyone, my apologies.

There are some clear front runners from the votes I've received so far.

Cheers.

Nik.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello again,
I guess for the same reasons which **** gave I would also nominate:
5) Rally - as inappropriate for the Scalex track, should be a Rally track event only.
6) NASCAR - should be run on an oval NASCAR circuit, also most of the cars look exactly like each other so not much variation in car choice.

Was also tempted to have nominated LMP as I found it was for me the more difficult series this year to get hold of available " off the shelf " in-line motor orientated LMP models specified. However managed to track down a Spirit car from a trader eventually, but still abit frustrated that the Slot-it LMP cars I already had bought earlier in the year were not technically compliant with this race series requirements.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi Nik

Agree with most of the classes stated above to be removed from list

The WTCC, Super touring, Unlimited touring and DTM, is all basically the same class of car, 4 seater narrow and top heavy. Only the technical specifications that slightly differ.

Unlimited Sports and GT. Could be removed as we have classes for GT's and LMP's already, although running to different technical regulations

Karts, Over priced and overrated

Front engine, why motors in wrong place

Nascar, Ugly bricks that should only be raced on the oval

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys,

So my proposals for classes to cull:

Karts - we never run them, they are expensive and/or diffiicult to acquire due to being out of production.

WTCC - same as Karts, expensive and/or difficult to acquire due to being out of production.

Rally - Rally cars don't belong on a racing track. They should be on a rally track. My view would be different if we had a rally cross section on the scale track, as on one of Wolves' tracks, but we don't.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,

So my proposals for classes to cull:

Karts - we never run them, they are expensive and/or diffiicult to acquire due to being out of production.

WTCC - same as Karts, expensive and/or difficult to acquire due to being out of production.

Rally - Rally cars don't belong on a racing track. They should be on a rally track. My view would be different if we had a rally cross section on the scale track, as on one of Wolves' tracks, but we don't.
2 more choices please Rob.

Cheers.

Nik.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As promised here are the results from the Members' vote, 14 members voted, 2 didn't, they were Sean & Simon.

Karts...........................14
WTCC.........................13
Front Engined Car.......11
Fly Classics.................8
Rally Cars....................6
Classic GP...................4
Ninco Classics.............3
Classic Trans-Am........3
GT Cars.......................2
Unlimited Saloons.......2
Nascar.........................2
Unlimited Sports & GT...1
DTM............................1
Group 5.......................1

As can be seen the vote is very conclusive so I would now like to move forward by making the proposal to be voted on
next Friday (the 11th) to remove Karts, WTCC and Front Engined Car from our list of votable classes.
If there is anyone who is likely not to be there to vote on this, you can vote by proxy through any other Member.

·
David Collins
2,359 Posts
An excellent result Nik - because it is so clear.

I hope we can run a second round of this, as there were some good justifications for more culling, perhaps by combining some classes, such as Fly Classics with Classic Slot.It/NSR.

Of course, going forward, we may also need to update some classes to conform to any emerging inter-club standards.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you to everybody for taking part in this exercise, as agreed last night at Club WTCC, Front Engined Car and Karts will now be removed from our list of votable classes.

We also made the decision to remove Fly Classics from the list as that class is already included within Slot.It/NSR Classics.

The process of Class Consolidation can now begin, updates will be posted and discussion encouraged in due course.

Cheers.Nik.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts