SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I' ve noticed, on several threads now, impressive numbers quoted for attendances at club nights and I just wondered how the events were run.

Please don't take this as a "this is how it should be done" type statement, but I will briefly outline a race night at one of the three clubs I go to. Perhaps, then you can add a similar thing for your club night.

I'll use Farnham as my example, coz that club has the highest proportion of SF members and they can add things/put me right if I get it wrong!

Aim to turn up for 8pm and as people arrive they are allocated their race number; first to arrive is No.1 and so on usually up to an average of 10.

Taking ten as the number of racers,all ten numbers will be put on the wall in various spots, 1 will be racing red lane, 2 will be race controller, 3 and 7 will be marshalling back straight, 4 will be racing green lane, 5,8&9 will be marshalling other accident black spots, 6 will be driving blue lane and 10 will be yellow lane.

Say I turn up a little on the late side(no comments please) and I am no.10, the first race will be me on the yellow lane, no1 on red, 4 on green and 6 on blue. 10 laps crash & burn later (we have a rule that if their are only two cars left at any point, the next time the leader crosses the line after the lap on which the third car crashed, "two laps" is called by the race controller and it is then a two lap dash to the finish) and points are awarded 4 for the winner down to 1 for last place. First race over with, everybody moves to the next highest number, i.e. 1 will go to 2,3 to 4 etc., and as I am number 10 (the highest number) I will go to position 1. So the second race will consist of me on red lane (no.10) 3 on green, 5 on blue and 9 on yellow, so you can see that I will have 3 different opponents compared to my first race. This is repeated until I end up at no.10 position again and that signals the next class! So during this first class I will have raced everybody in the room at least once.

Class over, the points will be read out, i.e. Mr.M 16, Jamie 14, Jexy 12, Farnham Nerfee 9, Ecurie Ecosse 7, Slik 6, j-c 4

This is then all repeated for the next 7 classes and if we have run a bit late( or if Mr.Chairman is not there) we go down to the bar for a drink instead of cleaning the track and then going downstairs for a drink. I didn't mention that we meet in an upstairs room at a Conservative Club, did I? I have now!

So 8 classes, 4 lanes equals 32 races for every member. And you have raced every person at least once in every class.

So now I want to see how your club night runs!

But try not to make it as long and boring as this post!

Mr.M

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Mr M - couldn't you have chosen a class in which I was racing the Corvette?

You also forget that Jamie will be out having a ***, Geoff Who will be in the toilet and you'll be polluting the atmosphere!

j-c

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Typical Thursday night at NLondon:
I turn up and open up at 7.30pm
, the first of about 10/12 regulars turn up at about 8pm [ish]
. Practice and gossip until the usual late arrivals which is normally about 9.15pm
, someone then bothers to go write the heats on our yet non computerised system, a sheet of paper!

The sytem used is the good old, everybody gets a 3 min run on all 4 lanes with fastest 2 to go straight to the A final with lane choice and the next 2 in the B final Etc Etc, run the lowest final first and the winner and second go and join the two in the next final untill you reach the A. All this with a "crescendo" of tension until the A final is reached when you then have the regular row about who legged who out and who should have been put on first after such and such accident, all good fun!

The main aim of the evening is to have all the above done and dusted before "last orders" at the pub down the road [about 10.55pm]
, i am sure that a similar senario is played out at a good many club up and down the country!

[oneofwos]

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
be there for 7.30 run 2 classes a night, finish by 9 for the little uns to go home and then usually me, Baz and 3.9 get the track to ourselves unless BSN stops still free track which is good. go home at about half 10. at the moment we are getting roughly 12 racers a week.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Turn up at about 6:45.

Usually the first one there (loads of testing time).

Wait till around 7pm when mate arrives then go about setting up cars for the evening.

Mine's usually good enough out of the box, but sometimes I have to tweek it a bit, sometimes it's a complete rebuild, and everynow and then I have to wait for dealer to arrive so I can buy a whole new car!

People arrive between 7 and 8 and we usually get started just after 8pm. About 20 people every racing night.

Eat some food and drink some drink, have chat with fellow racers about current affairs and the like.

Heats are devised automatically by computer and posted up just after 8pm.

Racing usually begins at about quarter past. You have 8 races, one on each lane. Ten lap races, marshalled by semi-competant racers. Usually take between 1mins30 to 2mins30 to finish for the leaders, anywhere up to 4 mins for back markers.

We usually have one *** break about half way, where non smokers get to tweek their cars, chat and eat more...

To get the final standings we take everybody's 7 fastest times and add them up. Person with the lowest time wins. Luckily our computer does everything for us.

Finish usually about 10.30pm just in time for a dash up to the pub for a quick drink (non-alcoholic
) before heading home.

I then stay up til about 2am trying to improve my car (if I didn't win) or just staring at it (if I did win)

Lotus

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
At phoenix doors open at 6 for an hours practice, then racing from 7. Usually ends about 8:30, depends on how many go.

Saturday morning meets are a free for all, especially with some of the more 'lively' kids

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That is half of what goes on. racing may finish around 8.30 but then there is free practise and set up for about another hour on a Tuesday. Monday night is junior championship 6 til 8.30 and Thursday is the Senior Champ nite, 6 til 10.30 racing but nearly always there til midnight.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Get there between 7.30 and 8pm. Usually 10 - 12 racers. Practice till 8.45pm. All names given a number by race controller (most experienced member) which are allocated a lane to start on. You'll have four competitive races of 15 marshalled laps where you hope you don't drawn against the two super racers. Race finishes on the completion of your lap when winner finishes 15 laps. Normally top 3 are on the same lap. 5pts for win, 3 to 1 for second to last. Points added up for the total of the evening. One class raced per night - this class is repeated over 4 weeks and your top two scores are added to give you your qualifying total. This places you in the relevant final with the top 3 scores in the A final, next 3 in the B final and so on. The D final takes place first and the winnner over the 4 races in that final moves up to the next final and so on until the eventual winner - trophy is passed on and appluase and much muttering takes place.

The heats finish 10.30pm latest although the final can and does go on beyond 11pm.

The idea is to give newbies enough time and practice to get in to a class and tune their car (with assistance) so its competitive. I have not raced all the classes yet so for instance we are racing unlimited GT at mo. I'm racing a HRS chassis with sponge tyres and in the first week I put it in sidewinder mode and did OK. Last week I put it in in-line mode and did crap. So this week sidewinder with some weight and gear ratio tweaking and I'm trying out a suspension. So I've time to tune and adjust to see what works in competitive racing - by the time the final comes along everyone should have a nicely tuned car.

Matt 'yet to win a trophy' Tucker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts