SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dave Kennedy
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK at my club we're trying to agree on a set of rules, suffice to say....there is little agreement. Some want specific rules for Ohm ratings on motors (for example), some want to "just have fun."

The question is, to my more organized European slot friends, what are the rules that your club has? How specific are they?

I hope to see what ya'll do so that I can compare with what we are thinking about.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave K

just for reference here is what we have so far:

http://p075.ezboard.com/fpockitfrm24.showM...opicID=62.topic

·
Phil B.
3,774 Posts
Has anyone come across a consistant way of testing magnets, our championship runs a magnet class and recently the organiser has seen fit to reduce the magnatraction levels using plasticard to raise up the magnets.

The test for this is to place the car on an SCX half straight, lift the car till the one side of the track reaches 65mm (the other side of the track still being in contact with a flat surface) if the track hasn`t dropped of by now the magnet is deemed to be too strong and needs to be raised.

The problem with this is that any curve in the track affects the outcome, we spent hours setting up two identical cars on our own piece of track only to find at the race meeting one failed on the official piece and had to have its magnet raised again.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a fairer method of testing?

I`d rather not have any comments about racing without magnets, we get enough flak from the grumpy old men who race that class and we`re trying to encourage the kids, the next generation who, when they have served their apprenticeship will go on to non magnets, but we can`t afford to lose them at this stage.

Your thoughts and comments will be most appreciated.
Cheers Phil B.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From my understanding no 2 magnets are really ever they same. So trying to equate mags strenght would almost be impossible. Maybe set a class limiting the magnets to a button only and bar only classes. Atleast this way the mag classes will be more equal.

·
Registered
899 Posts
This might be a question for the more advanced enthusiasts. Here in Oz when one starts a "club" the first thing which must be lodged is permission to actually start a club by writing to a governmental body outlining your intended activity. Then registration of a name if permission is granted then ( $$ ) with whatever government department that may be, setting out guidelines and again lodging a constitution after a committee has been put in place, ( oh yes thats alot of fun) then before this all gets off the ground, one must find an insurance company ready to offer PUBLIC LIABILITY ( now THAT was alot of fun, about 500 English pounds p/a) all just to run a few cars around a track and call yourself a club!

Have noticed alot of our Pommy mates always question all of this when they turn up here too take part. I get the impression you can just start anything up in the UK and everything is sweet!

Tropi?? Swiss?? Meco??

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Sheesh, that does not sound like fun down-under.

I recently stepped aside as some bright spark persuaded our club that we needed to be 'legal' with a committee and a constitution and all. It gets all political and sucks the fun right out of it, if you ask me.

Of course it may be wise in these litigious days - why do we have to trip on Uncle Sam's coat tails with everything? - to cover yourselves with insurance but I'm blissfully ignorant of any UK law that says you have to do any of the above and certainly the club that got me hooked on slots didn't have a committee, constitution, insurance, etc, etc.

Our rules are here but a mark of how serious we aren't is that I think a few of these have lapsed without anyone knowing.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Actually, I think you'll find the racers are the most arguementitive. Collectors seem fairly quiet. Maybe because they are usually ex-Poms laying low over here for lord knows whatever reason.

But speaking of committee's once you have one in place all you seem to do is catch up on news, hand out cigars, drink brandy and port, and divide up all the special edition cars that get handed to us by nude women. Political HA!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Wankel just to say that Oxford and Phoenix rules are almost identical so we can agree on something!

Insurance and public fund accounting are subject to the law in UK and whenever you are handling public money,even a small friendly group, you are subject to running the account correctly. Insurance is a must nowadays , sadly, but better to set the thing up properly and then get on with the fun of the hobby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.