SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a general topic for discussion and maybe a little help.
After visiting here a couple of months or so me an the little one felt after what we thought was grasping the very basics of all aspects of slot car knowledge decided to check out where our local racing club was with a view to visiting and maybe joining in.

So far so good until we checked out the website for that particular club
Pontyslot.freeserve.co.uk and were basically horrified on a number of fronts !!!

Firstly after reading the threads here diligently and getting a basic grasp of car manufacturers and different classes you guys seem to race here there wasnt anything in their classes we remotely recognised.After visiting the BSCRA web site to check out what is allowed under their rules <i will be sending these to my lawyer so he can relay to us what they are actually on about an what in our collection we could take along> we decided that it was far too complicated for us to attempt to join in on a "lets go along and just have a look and maybe ask if we can join in!" basis as to be perfectly frank half the chassis,motors,wheels and bodies we just didnt have the foggiest !!

We thought that maybe our fly scalextric ninco and slot it cars maybe scorned at and ultimately we'd be humiliated.
Secondly again after checking the web site and the race calender it turns out that they race on a Monday nite from 7.30 till late and as the lads nearly nine its not really suitable, school night and all as we dads know!! Not very junior friendly i thought.

Thirdly i checked out on what seems to be their sister/organisers sales site just how much to get these unknown parts and build our own cars would cost and youve guessed it we now need a very friendly listening bank to sponsor our so called inclusive hobby !!

Now after listening to all you guys here, and generally the atmosphere here is convivial and helpful, talking about cars we know and those same cars being raced at various places we now are really confused in the newest of newbie ways on just what happens in slot club racing??
Bscra Nscc ?? Are all clubs affiliated ?? Are some clubs run as members only and forget the Associations and if so where is the nearest club where my lad can race his cars against other juniors and where i can also join in with other dads/adults without feeling like weve just landed on another planet ??
Just as a ps there seems to be a whole other side to slot car racing which ive never heard mentioned here in as much as all those other makes of slot car RTR cars and different manufacturers of all the different components.
yours dazed and confused

kev an connor

·
Registered
714 Posts
Kevin
Just a quicky - I am sure there will be more from other members.
Coming from home track racing, you should probably avoid anything to do with BSCRA (British Slot Car racing Association) which caters pretty well exclusively for the absolute top end of slot racing, uses routed wooden tracks and is at least one unit of magnitude removed from the familiar high street names that you are familiar with. It's a highly specialized branch of slot racing, nothing whatsoever wrong with that, just not your cup of tea at present.

There are clubs that manage the overlap between high and low end cars but they are few and far between.
You need a club that caters for the plastic track you are familiar with and more or less standard ready to run cars that, theoretically at least, you can just buy and run.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Kevin
there is a dark side to our hobby which a few partake in - even a few SF members have hinted their love of this illicit activity.

Basically - slot cars are either Scalextric type (the ones we predominantly discuss here) and metal chassis type that are raced in clubs associated with (not exclsively) the British Slot Car Racing Association (BSCRA). This is another world and if you ever think about getting in to this then I'd advise you to see if they run a TSRF class and then purchase one of these (abslotsport.co.uk) and try it out - will cost £40-£50 but is a cheaper way of getting in to this darker side.

Conversely - look for a more 'user friendly' club or suggest they run a/some scalextirc type classes (be prepared for scorn unless they are looking to expand their numbers)

Matt

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (kevin hunter @ 10 May 2004, 12:40)that they race on a Monday nite from 7.30 till late and as the lads nearly nine its not really suitable, school night and all as we dads know!! Not very junior friendly i thought.

Which weeknight a club meets on is always a bit of a case of "lesser of two evils". If you meet on Friday or Saturday then you can avoid school nights but then you run into the problem of people generally doing other things over weekends. Meet mid-week and it might be later than some parents will allow their offspring to be out on a school night. Perhaps a little bit unfair to single Ponty out for criticism here.

QUOTE Firstly after reading the threads here diligently and getting a basic grasp of car manufacturers and different classes you guys seem to race here there wasnt anything in their classes we remotely recognised.After visiting the BSCRA web site to check out what is allowed under their rules <i will be sending these to my lawyer so he can relay to us what they are actually on about an what in our collection we could take along>

Well some of us BSCRA racers understand what they are on about so I guess this is just being a newbie and not a veiled dig at us!

A BSCRA car looks like this

There isn't very much crossover between components for BSCRA cars and Scalex cars (expect perhaps use of the Falcon class motors such as the JK Falcon, Cheetah and TSRF which are the faster motors sometimes fitted to upgrade a car) so that's why you might not recognise very much. The simple answer is that nothing from a Scalex collection would fit in a class at a BSCRA club unless they also run Scalextric nights (as for example North London do). Further complication arises in that most BSCRA clubs actually only pay lip service to BSCRA and run classes that are 'similar' to BSCRA but amended for local tastes.

QUOTE We thought that maybe our fly scalextric ninco and slot it cars maybe scorned at and ultimately we'd be humiliated.

Well I hope not. I have run Scalextric cars at Ponty but only in the "mess about session" after a TSRF meeting

Yes there is another form of slot racing in the UK and generally SF is only really talking about the hardbody (aka Scalextric/Ninco/Fly etc., aka Euroscale)

Coop

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
hi Kev an conner, welcome to the mad house!!! dont worry yhere are plenty of clubs that you will fit into, you would have to know the history of slot racing to understand todays formats, in the late 60,s the hobby divided into two parts, 1 the scale people and the people interested only in speed went there own diferent ways, the hobby went into decline , but of late it has picked up again in 2 main area,s rtr hard body types and bscra racing, you have seen bscra, form your own views. the rtr run section has 2 main sections, 1 out of the box club racing, most clubs run this type, there is an extention of this in some clubs wich allows you to fit uprated parts, modifying standard cars to give better performance. i have not gone into it in great deapth, better you look around and get a feel for the things thatwould be of interest to you,all the answers cane be found from members of the forum, ask away cheers mac p

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Horses for courses!

If you enjoy the making, tuning of a car you have built your self then the BSCRA is probably your best bet.

If you want to run RTR slot cars from the major manufacturers then you need to find a different club. I say different because there is not (to my knowledge) an organisation that runs, caters for RTR slot car racing nationwide.

The NSCC is possibly the closest thing you will get to that organisation, but predominately we are aimed at collecting. This is changing (see this year NSCC International Race Championship for RTR Cars). However the rules and specs written for this race championship are specific to the championship and not intended as a set of rules for clubs to follow all the time. (see another thread about this!)

Most of the clubs listed in the NSCC club section i would say are RTR type, but some are BSCRA.

Normally the two clubs don't mix a great deal, but again we are hoping to change this over the next year with closer relationships between the two organizations.

A good example of the two never meeting - Farnham, I have been going to a RTR club in Farnham for over two years, only last month did I realize that there was a BSCRA type club just down the road!

Where are you based? - Let me know and I will try and find a club in your area.

Good luck

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys.
Coop i wasnt having a go at Pontyslot re opening times etc was just pointing out that it does exclude youngsters from racing, i would in no way criticise what they are doing as its their club. The comments were in no way derogatory.
I also think that their type of racing as previously mentioned is the higher end technically and would preclude us as relative newcomers not in the pure race sense as we could probably send a RTR car around in fairly decent times just at this time in our slot "career" the technicalities and nuances are beyond us.
I would hazard a guess that this type of racing isnt the "come along and have a go" type of racing as most Scalextric/ Fly type of racing would be to a greater extent IMHO.
I think for the time being we'll try and find a club in yorkshire thats a bit more suited to the youngster and newcomer for the time being. Any ideas???
Regards
kev an connor

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 10 May 2004, 15:30)Horses for courses!

If you enjoy the making, tuning of a car you have built your self then the BSCRA is probably your best bet.
ok - I might be misguided - but to me this seems like a tad of an overgeneralization - coming from you a bit of surprise, thought you said you wrote in the forum as if it was for a printed publication?

Anyway - this 'making, tuning of a car you have built your self' thing.... Now I personally did not realize that the BSCRA did especially cater for those that are interested in scratchbuilding high quality miniature replicas of racing cars. Or shall we call it 'model slot cars'?

But there you go - I maybe only have some unfortunate experiences to go by...

So maybe someone could explain to me in what way BSCRA is more suitable for model car racers than other clubs?

//peter

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Anyone seen my can of worms? If you do, don't go opening it please.....

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I tend to agree with Peter here.
I would see BSCRA right at one end of the spread with RTR toys at the other end.
There's a great big area in between these two extremes for improved RTRs running on bigger than the average home plastic tracks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kevin - why not start a local club? All you need to do is get hold of plastic track to begin with, either buying new or even second hand from Ebay. Find a church hall or a pub with a function room that they will let you use on a night they don't use it, and then put posters up at connors school - I am sure you will soon be the most popular dad ever!!

Aaron

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now theres a thought and a serious one at that !!!

Firstly Jonny could you tell me how i would get a 36 hour day then we'll start thinking about where? what track? and how?

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I agree Peter, Bscra do not have the monopoly on scratchbuilt model cars racing specially as most Bscra cars raced now [and over the past 10 years] are nothing more than lazer/EDM cut assembly kit's!
The art of the scratch building "brass and wire" chassis has more or less disappeared and thats one of the reasons i find building and racing retro slot cars so appealing, however it's difficult to get away from the fact that theres nothing quite like a well sorted full blown Bscra/Isra [or what ever you want to call them!] cars in full flight, it's awsome guy!
Sounds like you [and others on this forum] have had some bad experiences at the hands of the "evil" Bscra, want to let us know what the problems were?
[oneofwos]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts